Gibson Brands Forums

Craziest Gibson Ideas?

houndman55

There's too many to name :-)

I don't think that's a bad thing. Gibson designers have been trying to get the attention of players with GREAT innovative ideas , and they're stuck in the LP, 335, SG rut because players are too myopic to try something else. The only real innovation in guitars worldwide is coming from Gibson, everyone else is copying Gibson and Fender ideas from the 50's. I think it's about time players got their collective heads out of their nether regions and LOOK and PLAY some of these ideas and stop slathering criticism on great ideas and STOP comparing everything to Les Paul, SG and many other guitars.

Then there's the freaking bean counters at Gibson. If a new idea doesn't sell a gazillion in the first 6 months it's pulled from the lineup and they wind up in the clearance section or Feebay for people like me who actually play them :-) Perish forbid they allow a following to develop. For example find me ONE person who did not like the Midtown standard and custom. But, they're gone.

Maybe another thread on excellent ideas that were never shown the appreciation they should have received would be a good idea.

At any rate, some of my fave Gibson guitars are:

Vegas, Midtown Custom, XLP, ES-135, Pat Martino, and the ES-195.

Every one of these plays and sounds as good as anything in the world, what did players have to say?

Don't like the sound holes, ugly head, don't like double cuts, not a 335, or 175, blah blah.

Um, I can't see that stuff if I'm PLAYING them, so I don't give a damn.

I still think the Corvus was one of the craziest ideas. No offense to anyone who owns one of these, but to me they were the most impractical, ugly, hideous looking guitar designs in history. Having said that I was never keen on the Flying V either - whenever you play them sitting down they slide off! Just my preference though, many love 'em! I think Gibson are great for trying crazy ideas - with no progression we'd still be playing lutes!

How about Gibson's Hendrix "Strat-style" Tribute (2009?). . .While not really a variant, still sheer genius. . [blink]

I remember thinking that Gibson was, behind the scenes, not known to the world, about to collapse when these came out. I didn't get it, shook my head, did not understand it at all. I still don't, and I often wonder whos great idea this was and just how well it did.

rct

I remember thinking that Gibson was, behind the scenes, not known to the world, about to collapse when these came out. I didn't get it, shook my head, did not understand it at all. I still don't, and I often wonder whos great idea this was and just how well it did.

rct

Well the dumbest one so far I think is the reverse flying V

Well the dumbest one so far I think is the reverse flying V

Yeah, that was weird too. I always just look at that sorta thing and shrug my shoulders. Somebody wants one I guess. I'm content to watch them make whatever money they thought they would on it, and the inevitable quiet disappearance of it when they don't.

rct

Let's see, there was the Holy V (with the cutouts, as if it wasn't light enough to begin with), I believe there was a Holy Explorer (same cutout idea), I seem to recall a reverse Explorer and then there's the Firebird X which currently graces the catalog and seemingly nobody actually owns.

Let's play a game. Name a variant of a Gibson model with features that are just insane. I'll start.

1. Purple Explorer with 3 P90's and bigsby

2. L5 CES bass

3. Fretless Les Paul

4. 8 string Firebird with active pickups

5. 12 String L5 (the acoustic model)

If the explorer wasn't purple I'd be all over a 3 p90 one!!! No bigsby

A guitar that is solid! [blink]

What an insane idea! [lol]

Oh, Leo did one? [scared]

Sh!t. [cursing]

"Get the kid, with the broomstick with pickups on it".

When Fender started making bathtub routings, Gibson turned to weight relieving. So either did acts of contrition. [biggrin]

When I think Strat, the first thing that comes to mind is Gibson. One word - L - A - M - E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least they managed slanting the bridge pickup the other way round like on righty Strats set up for Jimi. ;)

At least they managed slanting the bridge pickup the other way round like on righty Strats set up for Jimi. ;)

Hello Capmaster!

Only Gibson, You, and Frank Marino knows the true secret to Jimi`s tone. :)

Cheers... Bence

Hello Capmaster!

Only Gibson, You, and Frank Marino knows the true secret to Jimi`s tone. :)

Cheers... Bence

[blush] Well, I'm content with that. [lol]

Remember Leo Fender rejected 5-position-switches until he left the CBS Fender division as a consultant in the mid-seventies. He obviously didn't want to realize that using two pickups in parallel was crucial for Jimi Hendrix' Strat tone. Most players wanted that, too, and before Fender began using them stock, there have been times when Strat buyers had the 5-way-switch mod done as part of the deal.

That and the reverse Explorer, Corvus, and that Zac Wylde Moderne of Doom.

I almost forgot that revolting looking Moderne Zakk plays...I think I was that horrified I subconsciously erased it from my memory.

What about this moment of insanity from Gibson - The Eye [scared] I think there's a horror film called The Eye. Why was this guitar not in it? It would have been more frightening than the movie [biggrin]

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/Eye-Guitar.aspx

Remember Leo Fender rejected 5-position-switches until he left the CBS Fender division as a consultant in the mid-seventies. He obviously didn't want to realize that using two pickups in parallel was crucial for Jimi Hendrix' Strat tone. Most players wanted that, too, and before Fender began using them stock, there have been times when Strat buyers had the 5-way-switch mod done as part of the deal.

I thought the 5 way took the fun out of it. Keeping the switch in between was a challenge, and not every body did it well. First thing I do with any Fender guitar is put a 3 way in. I then proceed to never put it in between! [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

rct

What about this moment of insanity from Gibson - The Eye [scared] I think there's a horror film called The Eye. Why was this guitar not in it? It would have been more frightening than the movie [biggrin]

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/Eye-Guitar.aspx

Just read the link. They expressively stated the guitar was available starting April 1st, 2009. Perhaps it would have been best to offer them exclusively on April 1st. :)

Archived