Gibson Brands Forums

'03 Heritage Kenny Burrell vs. '02 L5 Signature

Maestro Vibratoer

Since I saw another topic on comparing different models/brands I thought I would throw in my own two cents. The Super Kenny Burrell is a slightly smaller version of the Gibson Super 400. It's neck profile is very comfortable even more so than the L5 Signature. It's a slightly smaller profile and easier to grab tough chords. Tone-wise the L5 Signature, even with it's smaller body, has a much warmer/expansive tone the Super KB. The L5 Signature ran higher in price, and it is apparent why. If I had to choose, of course it's the L5 Signature all the way.

Danny, those are beautiful! I like the one on the bottom left. That has the same type of tailpiece as my Super Kenny Burrell. Was looking at a Gibson Johnny Smith on ebay. Wonder what the neck profile would be like on those.

That one is the Lee Ritenour version.

I agree with both comments. I wish Gibson still made the L5 signature.

Me too!

Yes it's too bad they don't make the signature anymore. I found mine on ebay and am very impressed with the guitar. The tone is wonderful, especially considering the smaller size of the body. I think the Lee Ritneour model is probably the closest you'll get to it right now.

Yup, but that gives me hope that they'll decide to make more of the others.

Danny W.

Me too!

L-5Sigcollection1.jpg

[thumbup]

Danny W.

I've commented a few times on this photo and in essence the message is best summarised by 'drool'.

Maybe its the photo but it looks like the wine red guitar is bigger than the guitar in the middle of the bottom row. Also the neck looks longer. Am I seeing things?

And what is the guitar in the middle of the bottom row? Thanks.

I've commented a few times on this photo and in essence the message is best summarised by 'drool'.

Maybe its the photo but it looks like the wine red guitar is bigger than the guitar in the middle of the bottom row. Also the neck looks longer. Am I seeing things?

I know the one on the bottom left is a Lee Ritneour. Interesting, the truss rod cover on my L5 Signature has a Custom L-5 label on it. Wondering why none of Danny's do.

All those guitars are the same size and have the same scale length, so yes, you are seeing things. All are L-5 Signatures, including the one in the center.

I know the one on the bottom left is a Lee Ritneour. Interesting, the truss rod cover on my L5 Signature has a Custom L-5 label on it. Wondering why none of Danny's do.

It could be because I have a box of "Custom L-5" TRCs that were removed from my guitars. Note that the Rit does have its original TRC still on it, although I keep thinking I should change that one too.

Great to get another chance to see your gorgeous guitars Danny. . B)

Thank you!

Danny W.

Archived