Gibson Brands Forums

What model Les Paul is this?

Sunshy

Hi, I'm really excited about buying my first Les Paul, but I know very little about all the different models. I'm looking at this one in the pics below. The seller advertised it as a Gibson Les Paul Classic Double Cut Away that was a limited run made for Musician's Friend. And if it is a "Classic," how does it differ from a "Standard?" Just want to make sure it's not a fake or anything. Any experts have any info from these pics?

2.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

4.jpg

SORRY! I should have said that I know it has an evertune bridge (ugly, I know). That was one of the things that interested me about it. Even if he had the original bridge, it could not be put back on. I found this:

http://www.music123.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-double-cutaway-electric-guitar

Which looks almost exactly alike except for the ring around the switch reading "Treble/Rhythm." Was just wondering if the guitar was the real thing.

...That was one of the things that interested me about it. Even if he had the original bridge, it could not be put back on...

Real thing or not, my advice is to pass on it. If the bridge was put on to compensate for poorly place bridge posts to begin with well, you'd be just buying a problem you'll have to creatively explain for the rest of the time you own it, and especially if you find yourself selling it. You are entering a world where I can assure you, anyone interested in buying that kind of guitar will not find that bridge cool or special in any way, and they will stop listening to your explanation immediately.

If you had a halfa dozen Gibsons and were interested in maybe restoring it, it would be a different scene altogether and you sure wouldn't be asking us chuckleheads.

Good luck with it.

rct

It looks real to me however that is not the first concern that comes to mind when I see it. I have never used a guitar with an evertune bridge but have seen them before, although never on a Gibson. I would be wary of buying it if the original bridge could not be put back on and no extra holes were drilled. Also like others mentioned it could have serious issues with improper bridge placement, damage or warping of the wood, or just a manufacturing error that that bridge could have been put on to hide. I would pass on this one, whenever you buy used you really need to know what you are getting and with this one there's no way to tell.

OK, I could pass on this guitar because of the bridge. But I really like the double cutaway. What would this guitar be worth with the original bridge?

Really depends what its worth to you. The prices I have seen go from $900. to over $1350. There was an Emerald Green Flame Top DC 98 Standard in pretty much excellent cond which just went for $900. here. Today theres a DC Gold Top P-90 in excellent cond for $1350. Its a matter of taking your time and looking. I seen another DC Standard Flametop in fair cond go for $800. a couple months ago. So it varies with condition and seller and so forth. Some sellers expect more due to finish such as the Gold Top or Emerald Green or Diamond Blue. Watch the QC as they are saying above, I seen another Studio 96 DC with the same issue as above, the Studio though has a compensated bridge which was changed to a Bad ***. However as above due to post placement and intonation.

Archived