Gibson Brands Forums

Help Understanding My PIckups

norton

Hi everyone!

Yesterday I bought a 2014 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus, 2014, and it has Burstbucker pickups.

I need some help understanding what exactly certain pickup instructions using the knobs do.

Both volume knobs turn for each pickup volume, check.

Each volume know also lifts up and down, my guess is this is so one can select what, single coil for neck and bridge pickup in up position and dual or "humbucker" for each position in the down?

The Tone knobs, they turn and enable treble or bass for each pickup, check.

Both Tone knobs also go up and down, what exactly does this do?

I have looked in my owners manual and it does not seem to answer my questions, I am hoping all you experts can help me with this.

Thanks!

So you have 4 x push-pull pots and a 3-way selector switch.

It is most likely the Schecter Z-plus or the Jimmy Page wiring; on my guitars which have the Schecter wiring, one vol pot puts the pups in series (you can tell because the selector switch will make no difference to the sound). The other vol pot reverses the phase of the pups (it will sound slightly louder when they are in series, and when they are not - i.e. in parallel - you will get an approximation of the Peter Green LP tone with the 3-way in the middle position). The tone pots will give you either coil tap or coil split on each pup. The Page wiring might work slightly differently (tone pot might be the series or phase for instance) but whichever, there are at least 21 combinations to mess with.

Suggest you google for 'Jimmy Page guitar wiring'. I did and came up with this -

http://www.jimmypagewiring.com/Wiring_Diagrams.html

Regards!

Push/Pull Volume pots: Coil splitting

Push/Pull Lead Tone pot: Bypass

Push/Pull Rhythm Tone pot: Phase Shift

Coil splitting: lets you run your humbuckers as single coils

Phase shift: I'm not going to explain it because I'm not exactly sure how it works on your LP, but Seymour Duncan has a pretty good article on it (and there's lots of info on Google) Seymour Duncan Phase Shift

Bypass: Should allow you to bypass components on your guitar's circuit to make the output from the pickup go more directly to the output jack (ie bypass the tone knob). Again I don't know exactly what gets bypassed on your particular LP.

Hope this helped.

Archived