Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic rippling effect from wood grain and nitro finish

gibbyuk

Hi

I recently purchased a J-45 standard.

Once I got it home, I noticed the vintage sunburst top has taken on a strange finish.

When tilted to the light there is a prominent rippling effect, resembling corduroy.

I returned the guitar to the store, which is one of the most famous in London.

and the guys there told me this is normal and showed me another J-45 and other Gibson

acoustics all with a similar appearance.

Some internet articles suggest it is caused by an 'out gassing' of the nitrocellulose

finish and a contraction of the spruce top.

Although this appears to be purely a cosmetic issue it upsets me every time I pick up the guitar.

Please could someone give me more information on this issue, should I return the guitar and take a refund

as they cannot provide me with a replacement.

What kind of environment is it in humidity wise? That sounds like not enough humidity to me. That is the 1st thing I'd check. Have the store give you free of charge a dampit, or make your own out of pieces of sponge.

The rippling effect is not going to hurt the guitar, but if not corrected with proper humidity, will lead to a crack.

While the outgasing of the finish does occur, it takes years for it to loose mass. The thing you are seeing is from the wood shrinking too fast and the finish is being sucked into the wood as it looses moisture.

Hi

I recently purchased a J-45 standard.

Once I got it home, I noticed the vintage sunburst top has taken on a strange finish.

When tilted to the light there is a prominent rippling effect, resembling corduroy.

I returned the guitar to the store, which is one of the most famous in London.

and the guys there told me this is normal and showed me another J-45 and other Gibson

acoustics all with a similar appearance.

Some internet articles suggest it is caused by an 'out gassing' of the nitrocellulose

finish and a contraction of the spruce top.

Although this appears to be purely a cosmetic issue it upsets me every time I pick up the guitar.

Please could someone give me more information on this issue, should I return the guitar and take a refund

as they cannot provide me with a replacement.

I think I know what you're talking about. My J-15 looks the same. I know what you mean, we pay so much for these guitars we want them perfect. It bothered me at first, but I love the guitar, so it's staying home.

This effect is not always due to a humidity problem. It's simply not uncommon with nitro finishes, especially thinner nitro finishes on spruce tops. Most of mine will show this effect to some degree when looking at them with the "right" light angle. You can see it in a pic if you take a lower angle pic of the bridge (see below). I've got pics because this topic has come up before. If it's upsetting, you could always sell the guitar and get one with a real thick multi-layer nitro finish or a thick poly finish on it - although the sound/tone may suffer. . B)

My SJ TV -

SJTVbridgedimples_zpse03aa4b9.jpg

My J200 -

SJ200bridgedimples_zpse4b2ac95.jpg

Hello Gibby,

no reason for worrying. This is absolutely normal and part of the fun. [thumbup]

Ripple will appear on other kinds of finishes, too, but it's way more intense on nitro. All of my Gibson guitars and basses show it. When about Gibson, it's as famous as their "orange peel" I think. They are natural beauties, no cosmetics or surgeries can make them any prettier. [biggrin]

Please post pics of your J-45 for admiring her. [love][wub] Lots of fans here, mate! :)

This effect is not always due to a humidity problem. It's simply not uncommon with nitro finishes, especially thinner nitro finishes on spruce tops. Most of mine will show this effect to some degree when looking at them with the "right" light angle. You can see it in a pic if you take a lower angle pic of the bridge (see below). I've got pics because this topic has come up before. If it's upsetting, you could always sell the guitar and get one with a real thick multi-layer nitro finish or a thick poly finish on it - although the sound/tone may suffer. . B)

My SJ TV -

SJTVbridgedimples_zpse03aa4b9.jpg

My J200 -

SJ200bridgedimples_zpse4b2ac95.jpg

Very enlightening post, BigK! =D> =D> =D>

For the climate of most of the UK I would even go that far to say it is next to never a humidity problem.

my j45 has this effect also , morE noticeable at the fretboard end of the top. either side of it has this 'corduroy' look to it. I don't think it's a problem (unless you just can't stand the look of it, which is a problem but not with the guitar)

seems to be normal phenomenon. A trick of the light through the lacquer as opposed to a defect.

My Gibson Hummingbird has the same issue, but it is normal and not a problem unless your guitar has dehydrated and needs humidity, which in your case appears not to be the situation. Nitro drapes itself across the sitka grains and follows the tiny dips that occur in the wood from grain line to grain line. Nitro doing what it does best, it shines across these tiny grain dips and can accentuate those ripples, but it is completely natural and nothing to worry about in most cases.

For the climate of most of the UK I would even go that far to say it is next to never a humidity problem.

Absolutely correct. The number of times the humidity in the UK drops to a level which would cause drying are very seldom and not long lasting.

Most of the the time here we don't worry about dry air. Lay off the dampit, you don't need it.

It's not an "issue." It's a benefit. You are seeing the the natural grain of the top because the finish is so thin!

And, the term for this is actually "corderoying." Your description is excellent!

You can find some videos with Gibson's ex-Master Luthier Ren Ferguson being pleased with the courderoy finish of various guitars, if you look. He's happy with the finish because it's so thin, so it won't strangle the tone of the instrument like thickly applied finishes might.

Red 333

It really is a GOOD sign that the finish is thin and light enough to stay out of the way of the sound. I observed "corduroy-ing" on all of my GOOD vintage nitro-finished guitars, primarily Gibsons. It was also present on my 2005 J-45HC pretty much from the start. Interestingly enough, if you spray on polyurethane finishes lightly and thinly enough, they will do the same thing - my polyurethane-finished Kremona Fiesta classical looks like it should be nitro, complete with the corduroy effect.

Here's a pic of the ripple effect..

It's difficult to photograph it, as the eye see's it.

But you can see the effect in the reflection.

aww pants.

I forgot about your pic last night.

looks very familiar though. my pic is gonna be similar to yours.

I absolutely adore my j45 . best thing I ever bought.

aww pants.

I forgot about your pic last night.

looks very familiar though. my pic is gonna be similar to yours.

I absolutely adore my j45 . best thing I ever bought.

Yes, the J-45 is a fantastic guitar.

Thanks to all the help and advice I have had on this forum.

I'll be keeping it for good !!

cheers Guys !!

Here's a pic of the ripple effect..

It's difficult to photograph it, as the eye see's it.

But you can see the effect in the reflection.

Looks fine from here, no problem at all.

Yes, the J-45 is a fantastic guitar.

Thanks to all the help and advice I have had on this forum.

I'll be keeping it for good !!

cheers Guys !!

[thumbup]

Archived