Gibson Brands Forums

New ES 339

SteveE9C6

Long time picker, primarily a pedal steeler, but also love my six strings. I just bought a new ES 339 at Guitar Center that I really like. It is the antique vintage finish. The COA says it was made in July 2012 but it is a new guitar. I was confirming the SN but I am not sure I understand it. It is CS 252329. Does this mean it is a 2012 and was the 52,329 guitar made that year? That is a lot of guitars.

Welcome and congrats on your new 339.

Since Memphis is now issuing CS numbers, the second digit indicates which "shop" -> . 0=Nashville Custom Shop, . and 5=Memphis.

So now you have CSYXRRRR where CS is Custom Shop; Y is the year of manufacture; X is the location of the CS; and RRRR is the production rank. . It takes Gibson years to update their webpages and their serial number page only has the old CSYRRRR formula posted.

Your guitar is a Custom Shop 2012, made in Memphis, production rank 2329 in that year.

Welcome and congrats on your new 339.

Since Memphis is now issuing CS numbers, the second digit indicates which "shop" -> . 0=Nashville Custom Shop, . and 5=Memphis.

So now you have CSYXRRRR where CS is Custom Shop; Y is the year of manufacture; X is the location of the CS; and RRRR is the production rank. . It takes Gibson years to update their webpages and their serial number page only has the old CSYRRRR formula posted.

Your guitar is a Custom Shop 2012, made in Memphis, production rank 2329 in that year.

[/quote

Thanks for the info!

Sold a Les Paul I'd had for 13 years and bought a 2010 339 after reading some reviews

on them. Bought an Epiphone 339 first, ( first semi I had owned) and liked it so much I

had to get the real thing. My LP had the 60's slim taper neck and I also have played a Strat for

many years so am very used to that neck profile. Mine too is vintage sunburst, 30/60 neck, has a

beautiful rosewood fretboard, and while it is not as comfortable as my previous Gibby,

the sound of it is just outstanding. Congrats on your new ES !

• 3 weeks later...

Piced kup a 339 Trad Pro brand new on clearance at GC for $1300. Got it to retire the ES-347 from gigging. Great gigging guitar, has coil splitter on each pu, push-push knob, and 10db built in boost which I hardly use. Fantastic tone, great weight, 60/30 neck is perfect! OH it has no F holes, came without a pick guard but added one.

Archived