Gibson Brands Forums

How to Store Your LP for Daily Playing

norton

Curious how you all feel about hanging your guitar by the neck versus having its base sit on a stand?

I suppose the best thing is to put it back in its case a couple of times a day but you have to unplug and more hassle than a stand.

But what kind of stand, a hanging or sitting stand if you are going to keep it handy and out of its case all the time?

I have the cheap stand and want to upgrade to something sturdy and best for the guitar, been looking at the Hercules one's that hang by the neck but doesn't that seem to put a long of pressure on the headstock for long periods? But then having the guitar's bottom carrying the full weight also seems like not such a good idea.

So which is best, what do you guys do and what kind of stand or do you just put it back in the case?

Thanks for your thoughts

I have the cheap stand and want to upgrade to something sturdy and best for the guitar, been looking at the Hercules one's that hang by the neck but doesn't that seem to put a long of pressure on the headstock for long periods? But then having the guitar's bottom carrying the full weight also seems like not such a good idea.

#1: dump the cheap stand, a stiff breeze can bring disaster (of course,, exaggerating?,, just a little but not really,, seriously those are accidents waiting to happen.. put it in the trash..)

#2: regarding hanging it, nah,, it's ok it will be fine.

#3 the finish? just wrap some cotton (old t-shirt -> perfect) around the areas where the stand or hanger will touch the finish

even if it says nitro safe,, not exactly...

edit: I have a Hercules stand, and an old Hamilton (it's ancient) but it works the same way.

probably the best/safest way to rest the guitar other than the case....

Usually I put them back into their cases. For short periods, four hours at most, I put some into my K&M Guardian stands with translucent supports which are definitely nitro safe. They don't allow for leaving the cable plugged in. No problem though in my opinion - first, a cable across the floor is nothing but dangerous for the instruments and myself, and second I would have to unplug my active hybrid guitars anyway to avoid useless battery consumption.

I've got a 30 year old Kramer that's always been stored in the case (its also made two deployments to the Persian Gulf and Caribbean during that time). I'm not kidding, when I say it looks brand new.

My Les Paul goes in the case to. Different finish and I don't think she'll look as good in 30 years as the Kramer, but still...

I don't have any issue hanging them. Prefer that, to stands. No way, would I use one of the cheap $19 - $29 stands. Even the GC guys steered me away from those as I was just browsing. But, I've had enough guitars hit the floor, sitting on a stand, than I care to remember. I would absolutely die (with my health condition, I just might)... if my LP were to fall over and watch that headstock go >SNAP<!

We've also got dogs/cats to worry about. If I had my own dedicated room, I'd buy one of those side stands, that stores multiple guitars and maybe something sturdy/single for my regular player.

Hello Capmaster!

Obedience is not among His strenghts, and makes comments too: He can clearly say "no" in Hungarian. [biggrin]

But I don't mind, He is a lovely dog. Full of love and dedication - nothing one can expect from another human being. I wish, He outlives me...

Cheers... Bence

a cable across the floor is nothing but dangerous for the instruments

+1000

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but won't it wear out the input jack faster if the guitar is left plugged in? Or is it the other way around? Needless to say, I don't leave mine plugged in, but I leave them out on stands. I don't have to worry about kids or dogs knocking my guitars off the stand, and I like the way they look.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but won't it wear out the input jack faster if the guitar is left plugged in? Or is it the other way around? Needless to say, I don't leave mine plugged in, but I leave them out on stands. I don't have to worry about kids or dogs knocking my guitars off the stand, and I like the way they look.

When about contact fatigue, I think there will be a small difference only, at least when thinking about all the stuff I unplug very often and that I just clean the contacts of circa once per year.

I had to replace the flush-mount jack of my 1986 Ibanez RG 430 last year for the second time due to contact fatigue, but it's a standard part. I hope the flush-mount one of my SG Supra will last very long. It will be a hassle replacing it, and I haven't been able to locate this type of jack up to now.

As with my guitar treatment in general, I also plug and unplug them very gently, so there won't be that much abrasion. ;) The strings are the only parts of my instruments leading a dearly hard life. [biggrin]

So you obviously match his musical taste better than his likes for food or his sleeping habits! [lol]

Yes. That's an interesting thing. When I play (or listen to) Gary Moore or similar melodic songs, He falls asleep so peacefully, even in front of the amp. But hates techno from radio or metal.

That made me curios. I made an experiment with my father's boxer. She reacts the same. Maybe, there is a frequency range that makes the dogs relaxed? :-k

(Sorry for the off-topic posts).

Cheers... Bence

ZZYZX Snap jack cables are good for preventing this problem.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/jodavi-zzyzx-snapjack-cable-1

Cheers... Bence

Thank you for the tip, but it wouldn't work for me. Due to my hybrid guitars, I only use TRS/2xTS stereo Y cables for feeding the signals separately to magnetic and piezo amplifications.

Yes. That's an interesting thing. When I play (or listen to) Gary Moore or similar melodic songs, He falls asleep so peacefully, even in front of the amp. But hates techno from radio or metal.

That made me curios. I made an experiment with my father's boxer. She reacts the same. Maybe, there is a frequency range that makes the dogs relaxed? :-k

(Sorry for the off-topic posts).

Cheers... Bence

Human audiences obviously react differently. :)

Unfortunately, they do.

Judging from all the filth coming from the radio... :D

Cheers... Bence

But as for sound quality, there's hope, in particular for dynamic range. There will be new standards bringing the overly sick loudness war to an end.

Curiously waiting for them to come. :)

They remastered some old recordings for the worst. I loved the original Joe Jackson albums, sadly don't own them all, and the original ones are no longer available.

Then there is all that stuff they wrecked from the start since circa 1992. The TOTO album "Kingdom Of Desire" has been my first CD where Bob Ludwig left bad distortions on through poor mastering.

I fear they won't redo all of the nice music ruined with hypercompression and hyperlimiting. [crying] I didn't buy CDs since years just because of that. [thumbdn]

The new standards are close to those of the Red Book released by Sony and Philips in 1982. The Philips consumer electronics division obviously belongs to Gibson now, so they will know I believe. [biggrin]

I keep no less than two guitars out on stands at any given time, many times it's three. One permanently hangs on the wall of my office. Another is always on a floor stand in the Family Room, and the third (when necessary) is on another floor stand in the "studio". I will add, no kids/no pets in the house, and my policies MAY change when/if grandkids come along.

The more accessible and handy a guitar is to grab, the more you will play it. The more you play, the better you'll get. The better you get, the more fun you'll have.

A couple of years ago I bought my first neck-hanging floor stand, a triple for stage work. I DO feel the neck-hangers offer a little more security and stability over the bottom-fork type.

This is just me but I would never leave any of my guitars out of the case for any period of time unless I was gigging or playing at home. Dust and other bad things can easily happen. Hooks can come loose over time, people or pets can knock them over, people that don't give a crap about them can screw around with them..............just too much of a risk for me.

This is just me but I would never leave any of my guitars out of the case for any period of time unless I was gigging or playing at home. Dust and other bad things can easily happen. Hooks can come loose over time, people or pets can knock them over, people that don't give a crap about them can screw around with them..............just too much of a risk for me.

Yep, all valid points, but I like having them out of the case on the stands so when the mood strikes me, I just grab one, plug it in, and enjoy... to each their own though.

Plus, I like looking at them almost as much as I enjoy playing them...

Archived