Gibson Brands Forums

Brighten up for 2015 :)

marianeq

Hi folks, I was just looking at the 2015 Les Paul line I realised that I will probably not walk into a store for a new Gibby any time soon, seeing what they want to sell us these days.... not all of it is bad BAD, but some features seriously detract from the magic of owning a mighty Les Paul. I bought a LP Custom '68 RI in 2004 and it was my first ever guitar. I spent 7 months worth of savings for it, just to learn to play on a guitar that "nobody can touch" and one that says "it's not me, it's your skills". Well sure enough i learned to play a guitar and I think of my LPC as part of my life and it goes where I go.

abstract_patterns_desktop_1440x900_hd-wallpaper-871057.jpg

lespaulcustomhead.jpg

here with installed tremolo:

DSC_2465.jpg

My question, for today, is how can I brighten up the sound of those pickups? they are HUGE, but also deep. I want to have some more brightness, but not too much... i want to "open" the sound a bit, if you get my meaning. what can i do?

Guest Farnsbarns

Hi folks, I was just looking at the 2015 Les Paul line I realised that I will probably not walk into a store for a new Gibby any time soon, seeing what they want to sell us these days.... not all of it is bad BAD, but some features seriously detract from the magic of owning a mighty Les Paul. I bought a LP Custom '68 RI in 2004 and it was my first ever guitar. I spent 7 months worth of savings for it, just to learn to play on a guitar that "nobody can touch" and one that says "it's not me, it's your skills". Well sure enough i learned to play a guitar and I think of my LPC as part of my life and it goes where I go.

abstract_patterns_desktop_1440x900_hd-wallpaper-871057.jpg

lespaulcustomhead.jpg

here with installed tremolo:

DSC_2465.jpg

My question, for today, is how can I brighten up the sound of those pickups? they are HUGE, but also deep. I want to have some more brightness, but not too much... i want to "open" the sound a bit, if you get my meaning. what can i do?

Lower them firstly. Change to lower value caps can help too but lowering them is free and easy.

Lower them firstly. Change to lower value caps can help too but lowering them is free and easy.

hmmm lowering the pups doesnt make much difference, especially that they are really low to begin with. any recommendation for capacitors? I have 0.022uF ceramics

Guest Farnsbarns

hmmm lowering the pups doesnt make much difference, especially that they are really low to begin with. any recommendation for capacitors? I have 0.022uF ceramics

Capacitor chemistry is a hotly debated subject. If I were replacing them I'd go for PIO (Paper In Oil) but I'm not getting into that debate here, the main point is to try maybe 0.015uF.

I agree with Farnsbarns on trying different caps. Different brands and values have different tones even at the same rating. You may want to check into different strings as the type of strings can really make a difference and you will probably be changing them anyway. You can compare lots of string specs at juststrings.com

What's the story with the bigsby and the strings not going under it?

I always wanted a LP with a bigsby so i bought one and mounted it. I really like it :) I normally put the strings under the roll, but it made me wonder if having them over the roll, thus reducing the angle at which the strings sit on ABR, affects/improves tuning stability. Well, it makes no difference, except that it's easier for low E to come off the slot.

I'll try a selection of caps with lower values. thanks!

Is there a special reason for winding the treble strings the other way round onto the tuners?

I have found that when i need to re-tune a string G, B, e on the fly, my hand naturally goes to turn the tuners "other way", so instead of fighting the "wrong" instinct, i now wind the strings the other way round. it creates a more acute angle on a contact with the nut, which theoretically would affect tunning stability (greater friction), but i havent experienced any adversities.

Hello!

In my humble opinion, if You wind strings around the post this way, You are making the tuning stability worser.

It`s the brake angle of strings that is responsible for sticking strings at the nut. Ideally, they should pass the nut straight, without changing orientation. So "greater friction" is the problem! That's why many use lubricants on the guitar nut.

Cheers... Bence

Guest Farnsbarns

Imvho it will brighten the tone if you restring through the bigsby normally. I would think that with the near zero break angle you have, the strings will chatter in the saddles and I believe that will cause loss of highs.

Archived