Gibson Brands Forums

$10 Gibson L1

RichG

Ain't "reality" tv something?! Nah, every single thing on Antiques Roadshow is for real and they never, ever, stage anything I bet.

But wait. This show was on Public Television. They wouldn't lie to me, would they ? [biggrin]

Ain't "reality" tv something?! Nah, every single thing on Antiques Roadshow is for real and they never, ever, stage anything I bet.

You really are seeing reds under beds. You need to turn the TV off, and look at the world around you. What prompts you to think this is staged?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/201302A16.html

A link to this story on the roadshow

That's pretty neat. The closest I ever came to something like this was finding a little rosewood parlor guitar behind an easy chair in an old lady's house in Ohio back in 1971. It was in rough shape, but when I looked inside, it was stamped "C F Martin New York". Turns out to have been from about 1870 or so--it pre-dated Martin serial numbers--with a remarkable provenance.

That made my hair stand on end.

I'm sure many of us have a few interesting stories.

Back in the '70s, I'd frequently go to flea markets to look for instruments. Price paid was almost always in the $10-$20 range. Some of my best finds included an LG-2 3/4 & ES-125 from the '50s, an L-48 from '48, and a Gibson-made Wards carved spruce archtop with X-bracing from the '30s.

Seems like the information age of the internet has mostly ended the screaming deals one might happen upon by chance.

But fast forward to earlier this year, and a used Paul McCartney 1964 Texan made by Terada in Japan, clearly mistaken by our favorite big box store for the recent Chinese/Indonesian IB-Texan series.

> Price paid: $299.

> 2012 Vintage Guitar price guide value: $2100-$2500.

With it's incredible build quality & pure '60s Gibson tone, it feels like a '70s deal all over again!

I didn't say if it was true or false. Do you think every thing on Pawn Stars is just some guy walking in off the street and they happen to have a camera there? Do you believe that Mr. Bush, Mr. Cheney, Mr. Wolfowitz and Mr. Rumsfeld told you the truth about weapons of mass destruction when they were selling you their war? Do you think that professional soccer has absolutely no fixed games? Do you think there are people that will doctor a guitar to create a fake so they can get more for it? It's been said here in other ways but if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. How does one separate the wheat from the chaff is the real question? The thing about TV that one should keep paramount in their thinking is that the true message is, "and now a word from our sponsor". PBS is slightly different but they too reach a point where they want your money. Sad experience proves that people will do all kinds of "funny" things for money and power.

I didn't say if it was true or false. Do you think every thing on Pawn Stars is just some guy walking in off the street and they happen to have a camera there? Do you believe that Mr. Bush, Mr. Cheney, Mr. Wolfowitz and Mr. Rumsfeld told you the truth about weapons of mass destruction when they were selling you their war? Do you think that professional soccer has absolutely no fixed games? Do you think there are people that will doctor a guitar to create a fake so they can get more for it? It's been said here in other ways but if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. How does one separate the wheat from the chaff is the real question? The thing about TV that one should keep paramount in their thinking is that the true message is, "and now a word from our sponsor". PBS is slightly different but they too reach a point where they want your money. Sad experience proves that people will do all kinds of "funny" things for money and power.

All this is true.

One of the rules that I have to operate under in my professional life is: "take nothing at face value". (We have other less flattering axioms that we also apply to those we oversee.) All that really means is that you need to keep your wits about you, and this is especially when it comes to what you see and hear on television, particularly when what you are seeing claims to be "news".

I don't think anyone believes that Antiques Roadshow is just a live camera watching things happen. Probably 99% of the stuff the appraisers look at is worthless junk. But the jewels they pull out--and feature--I believe to be very real, and not seeded in any way. I really don't want to see the 99%. I want to see the good stuff, and I think that's what people watch it for. As others have said, I've learned a lot about antiques and collectibles from watching the show, and really enjoy it. But it isn't news. It's entertainment, and good entertainment, from my perspective.

They get a lot of guitars and other musical instruments, some of which are stunning.

But it isn't news. It's entertainment, and good entertainment, from my perspective.

Sorry, nothing to do with guitars, but...

This sentence reminded me of something about our News shows recently....(Soon the Antiques will need to have something thrown at them to keep ratings, perhaps a bowling ball?).

We have a few styles of News show at the moment - a couple of the 'scream at everyone, dob in your mate, boo hiss to everything' shows, a 'serious news' show and a ridiculous 'magazine' type show that the Other Half watches and I absolutely detest, which I call the "Giggle Show", the current ratings winner. I have sat through it because the real news can be depressing, but get this...it is BANNED forever in out house NOW......I'm speechless (Rare, I know!)....The Stones are here for a tour and the Giggle Show crossed to some fool reporter talking to Mick Taylor, also touring with them as a guest, one of the greatest and influential guitar players to ever walk the planet, IMO YMMV all those.....and get this...the 'expert news panel' didn't know who he was!!!!!!!!!!! Or Bassist Daryl Jones for that matter, but that could be forgiven,he has only played with them for a short while!!!!!! Speechless! Giggle Show never ever to be turned on in my house!

Back to your normal programming....

BluesKing777.

Oh, man. I have serious GAS for one of those Texans! At that price it's at least a triple home run.

Rich - The only part of this that wasn't complete dumb luck, is that I knew what it was the minute it popped up online & hit the buy button in a nanosecond. It even came with the deluxe soft/hard case & COA still in the outer pocket! If you ever come across one, they are well worth checking out.

As for PBS, their programming pretty much constitutes the only bit of quality left on TV, imho.

Archived