Gibson Brands Forums

Looking to buy my first LP

stugots945

I have to wonder how many people ask something like this, so I hope it's not too annoying. I've been playing for about 5-6 years. I learned on a Strat and really want get an LP as my next guitar. I was looking for suggestions on which model to get. I don't know enough to say I want a particular sound other than to say I want a bigger rock sound than the Strat. Something a little fatter. But that probably goes without saying. I've read some differences between all the LPs but it is still going over my head. The differences between the standard, deluxe, traditional...I'm just not educated enough to figure it out. I thought if maybe I pointed out what I'm looking for some of you experts could direct me. Would really appreciate any help.

1. I don't mind paying a bit. If at the end of the day the pricier model best suits me, then I'm okay with it. I look at this as an investment and a few hundred dollars now will pay off later. So I was kind of avoiding studio models.

2. I do have a tendency to get some fatigue playing a lot of bar chords or blues. Is there anything about the necks of these different models to consider for this?

3. I don't love the electronic tuner on the newer models. I find it strange there are no LPs this year without them. I'd have to think there are a lot of purists out there who don't dig this. Is there a particular year that I should be looking at to avoid this, but still get a great guitar.

4. New or used, I'm cool either way.

Anyway thank you in advance. I just want to make a smart choice.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It always comes down to how much money are you willing to spend to get a guitar that is better than the next cheaper one doesn't it.

I started with a $900 Gibson Les Paul Studio, great pickups and a nice no fancy paint or binding guitar.

Last week i spent $2500 on a 2014 Les Paul Standard Plus, click here to checks it out having the best hardware Gibson seems to offer and spectacular wood

finishing

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/Les-Paul-Standard-Plus.aspx

IF you have that kind of money then you are getting a truly awesome Les Paul, and the 2014 does not have all the 2015s issues like Mini Tune and wider neck, ect

they are going pretty fast, being snapped up as seen as the last of great Les Paul's without the new doo dads very few want

so to answer your question, depends of how much money you are willing to spend, should mention that the used Les Paul market is brimming over with good deals

I always preferred the traditional models. They are a little heavier then the Standards (no weight Relief) but sound great and have plenty of sustain. You can find some great values in the used market. Check out reverb.com, I just found an amazing Traditional Goldtop for on there for $1500

I just recently had the same experience.

I came from a strat body style, which I always preferred, but with a single humbucker setup. Still it was a guitar built for playing a style, I'm 1) not that type of guitar player and 2) just don't really enjoy playing it as much as all the people that have tried to either steal it (yes, two people have incl. an old GC-contracted tech), or buy it.

It sat for years, I was uninspired. One day I got a flier from GC with a beautiful Epi on sale. I went in, with the intention of buying it. As I started playing, I saw what I had been missing all those years. I never had the right dang guitar. Didn't like the model I went in for, ended up going home with a beautiful Honeyburst Epi.

A week later while having a blast playing the guitar... I found myself asking why I didn't buy a Les Paul years ago, it then started bugging me, I wasn't playing a Gibson. So I took the Epi back and said, I wanted a Gibson. Luckily, the guy I bought my Takamine from 7 years ago, still works there and is one of the most knowledgeable guys around. I told him what I wanted, what I cared about, what I hated. I just wanted a "real Les Paul", didn't have to be fancy and as little technology gadgets as possible, for the best price possible.

I walked out of there with a 2014 Studio Pro, for just over $1100.

I'm not a Gibson expert by any means. However, I do know a good guitar when I see and play one. This is an excellent guitar. From what I've learned so far (and could be wrong)... the only difference between mine and the models up over $2000, is the binding and AAA maple top versus my AA (and they list almost all the 2015 models as B+ until you hit about $3000).

I could further be wrong, but I don't see it depreciating in value (it may initially, but over time... no). I've seen a couple people on here, bag on the 2014 models and because of some features (that aren't on all models), I can see the beef. But, if anyone can tell me what Gibson did wrong on the Studio Pro, I'd love to read it... because, so far its far exceeded my expectations. Its a very well made and designed/engineered guitar, IMO.

The best thing to do is go to the music store and play a bunch of different Les Pauls. IMO the first thing to do is see whitch neck you like. You have the slimmer 60's style neck and the fatter 50's neck. Most people like one or the other. Once you decide that then it really comes down to options. When i bought mine i did not need any of the extras like binding. I found a nice used studio on Ebay for under $1000.00. It has the same wood and electronics as the more expensive ones, and plays and sounds great to me. Just get out there and play as many as you can and see what feels right.

This is really great advice. In general, is there a model year to avoid? ...

There have been the troubled years 2011 and 2012, there were laminated fretboards and uncommon timbers, and I met some duds made then. However, among the five of my Gibson Les Paul guitars - there's an Epiphone Tribute Plus LP made in 2013, too - are one 2011 Limited Run USA Standard, three 2012s, one of these an Alex Lifeson Axcess Custom Shop model with a laminated fretboard but fine so far, as second one a Standard Figured Custom Shop model with a solid fretboard, the third is a Gibson USA Standard 2012 with unknown fretboard status - had no reason for removing the nut up to now -, and one 2013 Traditional 2013.

In general, I experienced that the 2013 guitars were of a consistently high quality. I tried dozens of them, in particular Traditionals, and all of them were great, if not to say exceptional, again especially Traditionals.

You may look at them here, and find the Epiphone pictured there, too:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/115607-show-us-your-les-paul-guitars/page__view__findpost__p__1573077

Anyway, trying them and finding out yourself as said before is the best recommendation I think.

2. I do have a tendency to get some fatigue playing a lot of bar chords or blues. Is there anything about the necks of these different models to consider for this?

From my personal experience, I played a Strat for years and always had that same problem on the blade-like Fender neck. My hand rarely cramps on the fatter Gibson 50s style neck.

I have to wonder how many people ask something like this, so I hope it's not too annoying. I've been playing for about 5-6 years. I learned on a Strat and really want get an LP as my next guitar. I was looking for suggestions on which model to get. I don't know enough to say I want a particular sound other than to say I want a bigger rock sound than the Strat. Something a little fatter. But that probably goes without saying. I've read some differences between all the LPs but it is still going over my head. The differences between the standard, deluxe, traditional...I'm just not educated enough to figure it out. I thought if maybe I pointed out what I'm looking for some of you experts could direct me. Would really appreciate any help.

1. I don't mind paying a bit. If at the end of the day the pricier model best suits me, then I'm okay with it. I look at this as an investment and a few hundred dollars now will pay off later. So I was kind of avoiding studio models.

3. I don't love the electronic tuner on the newer models. I find it strange there are no LPs this year without them. I'd have to think there are a lot of purists out there who don't dig this. Is there a particular year that I should be looking at to avoid this, but still get a great guitar.

4. New or used, I'm cool either way.

Welcome to the LP forum!!

As for your questions, the best advice I can give you is to try as many models as you can. There are a lot of people (myself included) that are fairly repulsed by the 2015 offerings from Gibson (Custom shop, reissues being the exception). There are a myriad of pickup configurations, neck profiles, and a bunch of other things to take into consideration. You've definitely come to the right place for info, there are a lot of very knowledgeable folks on here. But ultimately you will have to decide for yourself what you like and what you don't.

Based on your criteria/statements... I would stay away from the 2015 models. A lot of folks have mixed emotions about the "120th Anniversary" flag on the 12th fret on the 2014 models. If you want a non-weight relieved model, a 2013 or 2014 Traditional would be a good one. They have fatter 50's style necks I believe. Don't discount Studios, they are just as good as the Standards, Traditionals, etc., just without the binding and bling.

The best thing to do is go to the music store and play a bunch of different Les Pauls. IMO the first thing to do is see whitch neck you like. You have the slimmer 60's style neck and the fatter 50's neck. Most people like one or the other. Once you decide that then it really comes down to options. When i bought mine i did not need any of the extras like binding. I found a nice used studio on Ebay for under $1000.00. It has the same wood and electronics as the more expensive ones, and plays and sounds great to me. Just get out there and play as many as you can and see what feels right.

Yep, exactly...

Welcome to the LP forum!!

As for your questions, the best advice I can give you is to try as many models as you can. There are a lot of people (myself included) that are fairly repulsed by the 2015 offerings from Gibson (Custom shop, reissues being the exception). There are a myriad of pickup configurations, neck profiles, and a bunch of other things to take into consideration. You've definitely come to the right place for info, there are a lot of very knowledgeable folks on here. But ultimately you will have to decide for yourself what you like and what you don't.

Based on your criteria/statements... I would stay away from the 2015 models. A lot of folks have mixed emotions about the "120th Anniversary" flag on the 12th fret on the 2014 models. If you want a non-weight relieved model, a 2013 or 2014 Traditional would be a good one. They have fatter 50's style necks I believe. Don't discount Studios, they are just as good as the Standards, Traditionals, etc., just without the binding and bling.

I totally agree about Studios being great LP's. You might want to look at used Les Paul Specials too, though they don't have a cap and usually come with P-90's they are fantastic instruments.

I will be glad to offer suggestions, but I need to know things such as:

1. Is there a certain 'sound' you are after?

2. Musical genre tastes - what would you play mostly on a Les Paul?

3. Does distortion take priority over clean or vice-versa?

You mentioned something about hand cramping? We can discuss that after I know more of what you like! [wink]

Thanks! I'll answer as best I can.

There are 2 sounds I'm having trouble getting from my Strat. First is the more distorted, heavier sound. I saw the Afghan Whigs in concert last weekend and just can't get that sound out of my Strat. The second sound is something more icy, post-punk. Say Interpol. A lot of these bands play LPs and my hope was one guitar could accomplish both. If not, I'd prefer the heavier, distorted sound. I play straight up rock and a little blues. Lately I've been playing a lot of the more rocking Ryan Adams stuff. Some Black Keys. So the crunchier, distortion would be good.

Maybe I'm dreaming that there's a guitar that can get all of these sounds.

"getting" all these sounds takes a guitar, an amp, and a player. No one guitar is going to make a wide range of sound types without a lot of work, it doesn't happen by accident. Start with a decent two humbucker Les Paul and go from there, you will have decent cleans and decent not so cleans work with.

rct

I just received my first LP today. I went with one of the blowout 2013 LP Signature T's. Mini etune worked right out of the box. I purchased an Ebony one from AMS. I really like it, I have a feeling I'll be satisfied with it for many years to come. $1599 with free shipping and no taxes.

I just received my first LP today. I went with one of the blowout 2013 LP Signature T's. Mini etune worked right out of the box. I purchased an Ebony one from AMS. I really like it, I have a feeling I'll be satisfied with it for many years to come. $1599 with free shipping and no taxes.

excellent choice, slick !

I tried three guitars at my Guitar Center with the mini tune and they all worked perfectly and it is fully warrantied so you should have no issues

I know lots and lots of people don't like and that it fine, I am glad you like yours and are open minded about at least trying what Gibson believes more and more people will accept in time

and for those who don't want a mini tune, well Gibson also makes guitar they can buy without them

There are 2 sounds I'm having trouble getting from my Strat. First is the more distorted, heavier sound. I saw the Afghan Whigs in concert last weekend and just can't get that sound out of my Strat. The second sound is something more icy, post-punk. Say Interpol. A lot of these bands play LPs and my hope was one guitar could accomplish both. If not, I'd prefer the heavier, distorted sound. I play straight up rock and a little blues. Lately I've been playing a lot of the more rocking Ryan Adams stuff. Some Black Keys. So the crunchier, distortion would be good.

Does your strat have single coil pickups? Perhaps dual humbuckers will help. What amp are you using? If you are using a crappy amp adding a good guitar may not get you to where you need to be.

I picked up the guitar when I was 12. Acoustic, until my parents were satisfied I'd play... and bought me my first electric. A Fender Lead II (had humbuckers). I haven't ever owned a guitar with single coil pickups, because I can't stand the sound of them. However, in all those years I never found the sound I wanted. It irritated me so much, I really lost the desire to play... I quit playing for close to 20 years. Yeah, it bothered me that much.

At times, I'd pick up a sweet sounding acoustic and be somewhat motivated... but the wear and tear on 40+ year old hands, trying to get back into guitar on an acoustic, when I wanted to be playing an electric... that I couldn't stand the sound of...

Well, it was aggravating.

Then one day, couple months ago, I walked into GC and played an Epi LP. I plugged into the same amp I had at home. The same one that couldn't motivate me and my Kramer to play... but suddenly I was feeling things in the songs, I hadn't ever felt. My fingers were working in ways they hadn't before. Bends, I couldn't ever get the mojo out of them, I wanted... were there for me, suddenly. And songs, I had long since forgotten, just came streaming back.

I don't know if its just being at a different point in my life, but I pulled my Kramer out of the case the other day and tried playing it. No desire, whatsoever really. And the sound... it just didn't sound right. Plugged in my Gibson LP (traded the Epi in) and bam, it was back. The sound, the feel... the desire.

So, I think its a lot of factors. But, I wish I had scored that Les Paul Black Beauty back in the early 80s. I'd probably be a much different and much better guitar player. The LP is the tone/sound, I've always been looking for. You want "crunch", the LP is all about it.

When I decided to get my first LP, I was lucky enough to get an Ebony Classic Custom. I was concerned about the 'baked maple' thing, but I love it. It will most likely be my only Les Paul. It is a back breaker though.... As far as buying one these days, all I know is that I dont like P-90's, but thats my thing. I have a few friends with studio's and specials with P-90's and they love them. I guess I like the growl of the 57 classics in my LP. I recently bought a firebird for a great deal, I love those pick ups as well. 495's I believe. It is what you like, and I suggest trying a bunch out. Good luck.

Just an update for you guys. I'm luckily off from work this week and heading to GC to test out some LPs. Hopefully today or tomorrow. To answer the above question, my Strat does have single coil. Although I have to admit the dirty pickup is pretty nice. I have a lot of need for the sound from it. Just looking for something new from the LP. And my amp is a smaller Marshall. I live in an apartment so there isn't a lot of opportunity to blast it. I have to say that even the times I've plugged my Strat into a stack, it kinda blew my head off. The sound is way bigger. So I can only imagine the difference with an LP.

Archived