Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Gibson SGStandard 61 Reissiue?

Bryn6490

I bought what I think is a Gibson SG Standard 61 Reissue today. The Problem? I just looked on the Gibson web site and there is no 2014 Gibson SG Standard Reissiue listed. The Last year for the Gibson SG Standard 61 Reissiue is 2013. The guitar looks like an SG Standard 61 reissiue but it has regular Keystone tuners not the Min E Tune Robot tuners. The nut is white like an SG 61 Reissue not a black nut like a Standard SG. The neck feels the same on the SG 61 reissue and the Standard. The Serial number says the guitar was made on the 206th day of 2014. I love the guitar but a 2014 SG Standard is about $200 less than a SG Standard 61 Reissiue. I bought this guitar only because it did not have the Min E tune robot tuners. Both guitars played felt and sounded the same. Do I have a special run 2014 made SG Standard 61 reissue? Or do I have a Standard with some reissue parts? Also the Case is Black and not brown...Not sure when Gibson Started using the brown case but it does look cool.

I bought what I think is a Gibson SG Standard 61 Reissue today. The Problem? I just looked on the Gibson web site and there is no 2014 Gibson SG Standard Reissiue listed. The Last year for the Gibson SG Standard 61 Reissiue is 2013. The guitar looks like an SG Standard 61 reissiue but it has regular Keystone tuners not the Min E Tune Robot tuners. The nut is white like an SG 61 Reissue not a black nut like a Standard SG. The neck feels the same on the SG 61 reissue and the Standard. The Serial number says the guitar was made on the 206th day of 2014. I love the guitar but a 2014 SG Standard is about $200 less than a SG Standard 61 Reissiue. I bought this guitar only because it did not have the Min E tune robot tuners. Both guitars played felt and sounded the same. Do I have a special run 2014 made SG Standard 61 reissue? Or do I have a Standard with some reissue parts? Also the Case is Black and not brown...Not sure when Gibson Started using the brown case but it does look cool.

The Standard and 61 reissue are two different models and only the Standard was made in 2013. They still make the Standard but it is possible to take the tuner off. I believe the Standard has the PCB and plug in pickups, that was one reason they were cheaper than the 61 reissues. Also headstock size and placement of the holly inlay was slightly different for the Standard and 61 reissue. Not sure about the case colors, my 2013 Gibbies all came in black but my 2014 LP came in brown. Also, don't remember seeing a black nut recently. Post some pics of the front, back, wiring and headstock details, some will be able to tell you what you have.

Actually just checked my records, all the 61's were sold out in late 2012, I still have the email telling me that my back order for one was canceled in December 2012 as they were no longer available.

I spent a long time with one of these last weekend at a GC in OKC. I don't need an SG and I almost bought it. The guy with me does need an SG, he is still talking about that guitar. Very very nice, the neck was divine! I know exactly the guitar you mean, it isn't your imagination, and your dollars look about right to what I was playing. Gibson often isn't real clear about what they've got to offer, and sometimes someone like GC just buys all of them, so you can't find out a whole lot about what it is. Cases are no indication as to what the guitar is.

rct

GuitarBilly is right, GC has an SG Standard 61 model with this description

The Gibson SG Standard '61 with Coil Tap Electric Guitar combines all the familiar features of a standard SG, and a little more. It has a mahogany body and neck. The rosewood fretboard has trapezoid inlays, but without the 2014 anniversary inlay and it comes with standard vintage-style tuners.

They say that they call it 61 due to the small pick guard. In the pics it does look like a regular SG Standard, the discontinued 61 reissues look slightly different and don't have coil-splitting.

GuitarBilly is right, GC has an SG Standard 61 model with this description

The Gibson SG Standard '61 with Coil Tap Electric Guitar combines all the familiar features of a standard SG, and a little more. It has a mahogany body and neck. The rosewood fretboard has trapezoid inlays, but without the 2014 anniversary inlay and it comes with standard vintage-style tuners.

They say that they call it 61 due to the small pick guard. In the pics it does look like a regular SG Standard, the discontinued 61 reissues look slightly different and don't have coil-splitting.

That was what I played, I forgot the twiddly push pulls. At 1525 you could probably wrangle a pretty good deal out of them. Very nice guitar, I would own it if I didn't have a great SG.

rct

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just beginning to look for an SG. Not looking for a collector's item,

but something I will play and will complement my existing guitars. So I

stopped into the local GC, and there on the wall was what was listed as a

2014 Gibson SG 61 Reissue. If I believe what I saw and the spec sheet said,

it listed Kluson Tuners, '57 Humbuckers, 24 fret neck, etc. Also no PCB.

The price was $ 1,625, I think. Personally, I'm not looking to spend that

much. It seemed a nice guitar. It impressed me as being a lot lighter than

the SG's I remember playing way back when.

The "2014 Gibson SG Standard '61" is a special run model done for Guitar Center. It is not part of the main production line (you won't find it on Gibson's website). And it is not a normal "reissue" in that it doesn't really have the original specs. For example, it has coil tapping and different finishes than the true '61 models. This was just a limited run for GC, but they called it '61 because it has the small guard and resembles the early SG models. This model includes a black/white case. It does not have MinEtune or the 12th fret inlay.

Here's the GC link for it: http://www.guitarcen...717-i3318299.gc

• 9 months later...

Necro-thread!

I just bought one of these in tobacco burst, about a month ago. Best guitar I own, right now. Absolute dream to play. Only difference between this and the "61 reissue," is the nut, the tuners aren't the greens, different finishes and it has the stupid coil split. Same body, neck, pickups, binding, and no 120th fret marker, for those that care.

It still has a stunning, flawless finish. I'll post pics, when I get a chance.

Sucks that GC feels the need, to once again fudge their advertising... But for $1200 with the sweet brown case, I'm happy. Cheaper than my LP Studio Pro was.

• 1 month later...

here's mine.

21538087572_cc325f907b_k.jpg

Yeah, that smaller headstock is typical of the SG "Standard." The Guitar Center '61's...IF they have that

particular headstock, have simply been relabled, and/or refer to the '61 style bevels, and horn tapering,

which Gibson went back to in late 2012, through 2014. If the OP's SG has all that, and was said to be a

2014, then the auto-tuners were probably just replaced, by the store, or the previous owner (if it was purchased used).

As we've seen, the new 2016 SG Standard has gone back to the pre-2012 shallower beveling and no horn tapering,

once again.[tongue][cursing] And, back to the "Batwing" pickguard, as well. Personally, I love the original '61

beveling and horn tapering. I don't mind the "Batwing" pickguard, really, but why not keep the "better" bevels

and horn tapers, even so. My "Kirk Douglas" SG Custom, has the "Batwing" PG, and also has the deeper, wider

beveling and lovely horn tapering, as well. So...???

CB

The Standard and 61 reissue are two different models and only the Standard was made in 2013. They still make the Standard but it is possible to take the tuner off. I believe the Standard has the PCB and plug in pickups, that was one reason they were cheaper than the 61 reissues. Also headstock size and placement of the holly inlay was slightly different for the Standard and 61 reissue. Not sure about the case colors, my 2013 Gibbies all came in black but my 2014 LP came in brown. Also, don't remember seeing a black nut recently. Post some pics of the front, back, wiring and headstock details, some will be able to tell you what you have.

Actually just checked my records, all the 61's were sold out in late 2012, I still have the email telling me that my back order for one was canceled in December 2012 as they were no longer available.

error, duplicate post.

My 2013 SG Standard does not have a PCB or plug -in pickups , has '57 Classics, no auto tuners, and was bought brand new. My OEM Gibson hardshell case is black has a white plush interior.

Archived