Gibson Brands Forums

Is The End Near?

MissouriPicker

Wondering if we truly are approaching the end. Any of this happening in your area?..........My local GC has NINE (9) new Gibsons hanging on the wall. 2 J15s, 1 J35, 1 Songwriter, 1 J45, 1 J45TV, 2 HummingbirdTVs, 1 J200. Haven't had this variety and selection since the store opened nearly a dozen years ago. And I think these are the first HummingbirdTV models in this store. For years it's been 2-3 Gibsons (sometimes just one), 9-10 Martins, and a couple dozen Taylors (I know they're Taylors because they all look like they came off the same cookie sheet). Anyway, it's nice to see GC being a bit more serious about the guitars they sell. Speaking of GC---over the last several months, the inventory in their two stores here has really shrunk. It may be just a natural sign of hard times, but these stores used to be jammed with merchandise, but not now.

The local music store where I now take lessons used to have a good many Gibsons. Now they still have the Gibson electrics, but lately the Taylors have taken over the acoustic section. I don't usually browse after a lesson but my teacher showed me a new Taylor 12-string and while I was back in the acoustic room, I didn't notice one Gibson. Guitar Center is supposed to open here in the spring and I'm curious to see if they carry a lot of Gibsons.

The end has been near since the Bible was first written. And if the meek are to inherit the Earth then it probably ain't going to be us doing the inheriting, but as regards product, I think people don't feel they have the money to spend like they felt before 2008 and the long term corrosive effects of the crash are still reverberating. If your kids have moved back home at 27 or something like that you have issues with extraneous expenditures! I think there is a huge glut in the guitar market (and other markets too) which is why I was surprised to read of price increases by Gibson (if they are true). The sheer number of great used guitars available and the prices they are going for has to be having an impact on new guitar sales. But then I live in the practical middle of nowhere so my perspective is rather limited. But I do talk to a lot of people from all over the country.

I hope my own local GC does the same and adds 9 Gibsons! I'm so tired of looking at Martins and Taylors in GC that I fall asleep before I even walk in the place. My GC has only ever carried about 2 Gibsons. People would be delighted to see more Gibsons at GC....I asked them WHY so few Gibsons? ...the GC managers icy answer was.... "Company policy."

"My only friend, the end."

I don't know but for the first time in history female enrollment in Harvard Law School outnumbers men. So maybe the end of men.

It would figure though. Just as I get to the point where I can seriously contemplate retirement the end will come.

The ones around here are starting to remind me more of an actual music store and less like a best buy. A few of the staff are definitely of the old model and excited to tell you all about their limited time offers, but many are friendly and just wanna talk guitars and let you play in peace.

The main Boston store have a few gibsons of varying quality from the J15 to TV and their ilk. one thing i did notice was that everything of a certain price point in those small rooms are now locked up on their holders. So while they're out on the floor, they're being abused less and the staff can throttle who gets to play them, leading to less of a loss.

I think the days of monolithic guitar centers are done, but i think they could scale down and still be the main player by finding a balance between quality service and instruments and buttering their bread with hawking starter kits at xmas

Wondering if we truly are approaching the end. Any of this happening in your area?..........My local GC has NINE (9) new Gibsons hanging on the wall. 2 J15s, 1 J35, 1 Songwriter, 1 J45, 1 J45TV, 2 HummingbirdTVs, 1 J200. Haven't had this variety and selection since the store opened nearly a dozen years ago. And I think these are the first HummingbirdTV models in this store. For years it's been 2-3 Gibsons (sometimes just one), 9-10 Martins, and a couple dozen Taylors (I know they're Taylors because they all look like they came off the same cookie sheet). Anyway, it's nice to see GC being a bit more serious about the guitars they sell. Speaking of GC---over the last several months, the inventory in their two stores here has really shrunk. It may be just a natural sign of hard times, but these stores used to be jammed with merchandise, but not now.

i find it odd that they have 2 Hummingbird TV models in stock. Are they new? The reason that I ask is because these are no longer listed on the GC website or any of the other major online dealers. Wildwood in Colorado is the only place that I've seen them and that is under their special New Vintage build. I actually called MusicVilla where I bought mine last year this week. They informed me that the TV was still not in production and only available when Gibson does a special custom run. The last special run was in late 2013 which is when I purchased one of the 50 being made. Perhaps these are left over from that run but it was my understanding that only 5 star dealers received these.

I am curious because I have a friend that really likes mine and is interested in purchasing one for herself.

My closest GC (Pasadena, TX) has only 1 J45, 1 J35 and of course 1 Hummingbid Pro. All have been there for at least 1 year. As a proud owner of a pair of Gibson acoustics. I hate to admit that the end may be near, but for Gibson, who are increasing their prices. The most logical thing would be to continue doing some les fancyt models and more adapted to our economy. It's just my perspective.

My closest GC (Pasadena, TX) has only 1 J45, 1 J35 and of course 1 Hummingbid Pro. All have been there for at least 1 year. As a proud owner of a pair of Gibson acoustics. I hate to admit that the end may be near, but for Gibson, who are increasing their prices. The most logical thing would be to continue doing some les fancyt models and more adapted to our economy. It's just my perspective.

You do understand that it has been reported here that the price increases apply to Gibson USA guitars, which are primarily the Les Pauls, right? As far as we know, Gibson Acoustic is not affected by the price increases.

You do understand that it has been reported here that the price increases apply to Gibson USA guitars, which are primarily the Les Pauls, right? As far as we know, Gibson Acoustic is not affected by the price increases.

Yes, I understand that. But, do you understand that it is not far when we will experience an increase in the price of the Acoustics also?

My comment is not to detract from the work of Gibson. So I explained that I am a proud owner of a Hummingbird and a J45. My point is that it would be unfortunate that such a great company like Gibson ceased to exist because of the economy in which we live and tastes that are so influenced by commercial music.

'Is The End Near?' Was the heading...I quickly checked the online news then the online weather radar...seems fine....

So 2 Hummingbirds at the GC ?

I am too far away from them, but other signs of the 'End' could include:

An actual real life acoustic guitar pickup that sounds like.....yep...an acoustic guitar.....

The 'Easy Open' packet for the cheese is actually easy to open and doesn't rip my fingerpicking fingernail in half.....

A cheap shot would be the discovery of an honest politician.....nah...

They have discovered a beer that makes old geezers 21 again.....

If they have discovered a beer that makes you stay the same age you are now, I don't think I want it! Push that red button, boss!

BluesKing777.

More to come as we think of them....

I have 2 GC in the area. The closer one (Florence KY)usually only has one or two but currently have four. The problem is they just don't move quick enough. They always have plenty of electrics, they sale very well.

The one further from me (Cincinnati OH) is usually well stocked with higher end Gibson and Martins plus it usually has a few vintage.

Lately it seems I've been satisfied with my herd so maybe the end is near.

Have you visited the GC @ Westheimer near Voss? They usually have a selection of Gibsons.

Music4love, good questions. After reading your post I had to run back up there this evening, because I was sure of what I'd seen.....Two birds, both cherry burst. The true vintage is a truly sweet guitar. It was used, as you suspected. It was hanging with the new guitars and it looks great. They told me it just came in on Saturday and had gotten a lot of attention, and the other was a brand new quilted maple bird, also cherry burst. I assumed they were both tvs because of the similar burst....... Several years ago I had an Epi Texan with a cherry burst that was too bright for my taste, but the burst on these two hummingbirds was warm and easy-going. Used or new, it's good to see so many Gibsons in one location, especially at GC where Taylors easily outnumber Martins and Gibsons together.

Music4love, good questions. After reading your post I had to run back up there this evening, because I was sure of what I'd seen.....Two birds, both cherry burst. The true vintage is a truly sweet guitar. It was used, as you suspected. It was hanging with the new guitars and it looks great. They told me it just came in on Saturday and had gotten a lot of attention, and the other was a brand new quilted maple bird, also cherry burst. I assumed they were both tvs because of the similar burst....... Several years ago I had an Epi Texan with a cherry burst that was too bright for my taste, but the burst on these two hummingbirds was warm and easy-going. Used or new, it's good to see so many Gibsons in one location, especially at GC where Taylors easily outnumber Martins and Gibsons together.

Thanks of the info. If you wouldn't mind passing on the location to me. i can have my friend give them a call and inquire on the used TV Bird. Any idea of the asking price?

Archived