Gibson Brands Forums

J200 Vintage Sunburst - cleaning tips?

dougie050

Hey! Looking for advice on the best way to clean up my beloved J200. It's a 2005 or 2006 finished in Antique Sunburst and I'm afraid to say it's covered with sweaty paw prints and a bit of a smear where my strumming forearm connects. I gig this guitar regularly so it does get a bit sweaty despite a regular wipe down. I regularly use the Gibson polish supplied and while it does gloss up the surface, it doesn't remove the prints. I feel a deeper clean is required before applying the polish again. On another forum someone suggested a window cleaning spray, but I'm rather reluctant to experiment! Apart from one ding when I caught the catch of the case (doh!) it's in great shape, so no need for a total strip down. Grateful for any advice, particularly from members with Gibsons with the same finish. Thanks. Dougie

Virtuoso Cleaner and Virtuoso Polish. Try the polish on the worst area first. If that doesn't do the job, you'll need to use the cleaner, which is safe on nitro, but is still powerful stuff. I have used it to safely clean 60 years of tobacco smoke and stain off a nitro finish 1947 Gibson.

I second Virtuoso. The finish on modern J-200s (I have a 2011) definitely lend themselves to that smudgy look where your arm hangs. It can look pretty rough, but it comes right out and looks better than ever with a little polish (not much). And maybe just warm water would do. I'll certainly try the less invasive way of warm water first next time.

It's a beautiful guitar, isn't it? Its beauty is unreal in the right light.

Archived