Gibson Brands Forums

It is here

SteveFord

It sounds wonderful with some new D'Addario string and it plays really nice - low action and no buzzes or rattles.

This one really had me worried as it was an eBay purchase from 3,000 miles away and it was in transit for 8 days. I even had a nightmare about it showing up and being all beat to hell and horrible and I couldn't send it back. I woke up going why, oh why did I get so mad at Guitar Center and not buy a brand new one or hunt for a used one locally, why am I such an idiot???

All I had to go on was some cruddy pictures but the neck profile just looked really nice. I was right as the neck is like a Les Paul and the guitar and the case are in just about perfect condition.

WHEW! This was a stressful one for me but it all turned out really well.

Congratulations Steve! The only Martin I ever owned was a D-42. At the time it was my most expensive guitar and it made me nervous every time I played it because it cost so much and I was worried I would dent it or scratch it. It was hands down the best sounding acoustic I ever owned but I could never take it to a gig for fear it would get banged up so I ended up selling it. [crying]

I feel stupid now given the brothel of guitars that I own and in hindsight I'm sure everything would have been fine. :(

That having been said - I'm extremely happy for you because there's nothing quite like a high quality Martin acoustic both in tone and playability and that famous Martin smell. Mmmmmmmm I wish they could make a cologne out of that because I would buy it. :)

I'm glad everything worked out and I can appreciate the nervousness you felt waiting for her to arrive. The only downside here is the gas you've just given me to pick up another Martin - I mean afterall, everyone should own at least one. Dammit. :angry:

You can tell I was excited as it's actually an HD-28, not a 35 like I put in the thread's subtitle! Perhaps a moderator could correct that?

Thank you for your kind words, everyone, and yes RevDavidLee, you really need to pick up another Martin. I'm hardly an acoustic guitar expert but I think you'd like the HD-28 and there's quite a few used ones on the market at the moment. There's quite a lot of variation in the neck profiles from the three that I tried so that's something to consider.

I also spied a nice D-18 for not a whole heck of a lot which got me thinking (always a dangerous thing). I always lusted after one of them thanks to an old guitar teacher who had one.

Time to play this old beauty for a little bit and then hit the sack. This whole Martin buying experience has left me exhausted!

jesus christ what happened to that pink couch?

Man, I laughed. I laughed as rct on the internet, and as a person too. I laughed. Then I got really pissed because I should have put that up there first, in giant letters. Awesome job.

rct

Glad it weathered that 3000 mile trip well . . . that's a looong wait.

Great looking HD35. Congrats and enjoy. . B)

He actually stated its an HD-28 a little further down [thumbup]

Steve - someone had posted that if you use the Full Editor when you edit that it allows you to also change your thread title. I haven't tried it myself but you can check it out Bro! :)

Great, it worked - HD-28, not HD-35! The 35 has the 3 piece back and I gather a different overall sound, too.

I was so wound up waiting to see what I bought that I was a bit of a disaster once it finally arrived.

Not only didn't he ship it Priority Mail but the seller only insured it for $200, too. PayPal assured me that everything would be okay but even so...

We have a Martin guru at work and I talked to him a bit today and he said that there's two different 28 neck profiles: V shaped and a stout C shape. I played both and really liked the V shape but this one has a thin C shape which works out really well for me.

I do know what you mean about having a guitar that you're afraid to play because it's too nice. That was my old 25th Anniversary Les Paul (bought new), my old 1980 Lucille Deluxe (bought new), my old 2007 GOTW Explorer in natural with tremolo (bought new) and now my 2013 Firebird V (bought 2nd hand). They all became case queens.

After selling your old beautiful D-45 you really do owe it to yourself...

Archived