Gibson Brands Forums

basement tapes and new neil young stuff

blindboygrunt

Interesting you brought this up. For some reason, I am re-visiting Dylan songs I haven't listened to or played in decades. Trying to re-learn some of them. I spent much of yesterday on YouTube watching and listening to early Dylan (1963-1966). I came away just in awe again at some of the stuff he wrote/performed back then.

I sent this link to a friend here a couple of weeks ago, I must have watched it a half-dozen times in the last two weeks.

It's hard to believe that any of us were ever that young. This was just shot a few blocks from where I lived in Newport for 20 years.

Back when I went through the big dylan phase (still in it I guess but not as extreme) and I searched for all those bootlegs albums , I was blown away by the pre album deal recordings .. beeches apt. stud turkel show and such .

hes a great great example of how timing and syncopation of vocals can be used to the max. excellent encouragement for those of us who weren't born with jeff buckleys voice.

If it wasn't him singing there songs they wouldn't have had the clout that they did.

born at the right time.

The neil young album is absolutely gorgeous in parts. can't decide if I like the orchestral or solo versions most songs.

notice the distinct guitar noise , recent videos show him with a little parlour guitar ... neil young with no dreadnought ! whatever next

You know, I think Neil Young, and to the same extent, Jackson Browne, well their songs aren't much different than songs they've written before. They all begin to sound alike. Don't get me wrong, when they were younger, they exploded with creativity, but now, their new stuff can't begin to approach their old stuff, and again, the music sounds repetitive……just saying….

Back when I went through the big dylan phase (still in it I guess but not as extreme) and I searched for all those bootlegs albums , I was blown away by the pre album deal recordings .. beeches apt. stud turkel show and such .

hes a great great example of how timing and syncopation of vocals can be used to the max. excellent encouragement for those of us who weren't born with jeff buckleys voice.

If it wasn't him singing there songs they wouldn't have had the clout that they did.

born at the right time.

The neil young album is absolutely gorgeous in parts. can't decide if I like the orchestral or solo versions most songs.

notice the distinct guitar noise , recent videos show him with a little parlour guitar ... neil young with no dreadnought ! whatever next

Thanks for posting. I'm really enjoying the solo Neil Young stuff.

You know, I think Neil Young, and to the same extent, Jackson Browne, well their songs aren't much different than songs they've written before. They all begin to sound alike. Don't get me wrong, when they were younger, they exploded with creativity, but now, their new stuff can't begin to approach their old stuff, and again, the music sounds repetitive……just saying….

a guitarist friend of mine, who for years played the Young parts in a Buffalo Springfield tribute band, once said " Neil only ever wrote one song, but it's a hell of a great song"

a guitarist friend of mine, who for years played the Young parts in a Buffalo Springfield tribute band, once said " Neil only ever wrote one song, but it's a hell of a great song"

Pardon me, but he doesn't know what he's talking about.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

OWF - I get your point and find Youngs earlier stuff - the material that really made him Young - nothing short of fantastic.

But yes, not only is there a significant line between devine inspiration and working the trade in the 2 or 3 veins discovered/invented in ones twenties, , ,

there's also a serious risk of being fossilized in the latter.

We have to admit many artists end there sooner or later - finding a language, which becomes a pattern they just carve deeper.

Like water dripping into the same spot in a stone below.

i disagree

while I'll agree that he's not at his peak and he sounds like neil young (who else will he ever sound like) I think he's one of the few musicians who fights to keep it fresh.

His 'sleeps with angels' cd was one of his best and freshest and that was well into his retirement .

Shall we mention the electronic album? The rockabilly album?

check out the neil Diamond stuff further down that link. Now he's treading water and harpy in his niche.

but then he's neil Diamond. What ya expect

But the newest of the 3 albums you mention is 20 years old, BBG - time is flying.

Yet your point deserves credit. Young is doin' and always did his best to choose another road next.

Thing is he's been around so long that a few of them has been driven before, , , sometimes a lot.

That's not my prob tho, , , it's more regarding the writing, which then again was so sublime in the beginning (meaning first 10-15 years) that it is hard almost impossible to live up to.

You can get so hardened that it's difficult to see the difference between a real superb tune and a standard trademark ditto.

That said, look at colleague, Crosby - he's extraordinary alert about the actual songs, , , like P. Simon. The 2 approaches are miles apart.

Yes, Angels was a good one for sure. .

@Yggdrasil - actually Neil Young at one point not so long ago claimed that all rock-musicians shared or played the same song.

Simply collectively sewed their way through the one and only huge rock'n'roll anthem via different keys, tempi, time-signatures, sonic colors and moods.

But that's another angle of speech, isn't it - some kind of abstract facit after 40 years between the drums, guitars and microphone-stands called size large.

I hear ya em7. I'm fairly certain that his best stuff is behind him and I'm not chairman of the neil young fan club. but I am a huge admirer of his and I feel he's one of the very few of his age and calibre who isn't happy just turning up and rehashing the same old same old.

There will , of course be similarities , because he is who he is. It's crazy to think an artist can change his core self.

no one looks at a da vinci and complains that he used the same type of stroke as the last picture .

but at least , I feel , neil looks at different canvas from time to time. be it using solely an electric guitar for 'le noise' or using jack white's recording booth for this year's 'a letter home' or indeed this brand new album using an orchestra to keep a days work a challenge.

he hasn't turned into status quo just yet.

and there are folk who get SO into being new and fresh that their stuff is simply that and loses any appeal to a fan. David Byrne , thom yorke etc.

to those musicians who are supposed 'new and full of fresh ideas' , listen carefully and you'll hear someone from the past.

All music is rehashed I'm some shape or form.

I'm not being a fuddy duddy , I continue to listen to today's music and love it .

and I'm not for one second thinking any of these points are black and white ...

its all subjective and all great.

Guess it's time to say I saw Neil in concert 2 months ago - and cried twice. .

The set-list was 33/33/33 old biggies, old forgotten and new stuff.

His singing all nite was so good that no soul could ask for more.

And Cortez The K hit the sky-ways in a version so sensitive I never heard it better.

It took place in a fairly big old indoor no seats sports-hall and went on with Crazy Horse, but Rick Rosas on bass as Talbot was/is down.

Besides 2 girl-singers adding extra spice - well arranged, not just random 3d & 5th here and there.

He played 2 solo songs on the 1941 Martin D-28. Apropos this thread, the very personal, but universal Heart of G and the very universal, but personal Blowing in The Wind.

yeah... basement tapes are a weird one eh ?lots of 'what we're they smoking' but lots of gems.
First knew of 'em from that book Mystery Train, been hearing them in dribs and drabs since. Nice to have it pulled together. A special time, lot of creating going on. A good way to make music.

Basement Tapes -

Remember it being released just after I got into Dylan.

Borrowed, never bought the double-album, and found it too fluxy, , , only 1 song got over on cassette. The last : Wheels On Fire.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-LfTLrCs2M

It received quite a lot attention as it was one of the first authorized attempts to forestall serious bootleg-material.

But for natural reasons was overshon by the formidable Blood On The Tracks out same year.

Basement Tapes -

Remember it being released just after I got into Dylan.

Borrowed, never bought the double-album, and found it too fluxy, , , only 1 song got over on cassette. The last : Wheels On Fire.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-LfTLrCs2M

It received quite a lot attention as it was one of the first authorized attempts to forestall serious bootleg-material.

But for natural reasons was overshon by the formidable Blood On The Tracks out same year.

The sun itself was over shown by Blood on the Tracks that year, and BOTT contained no obvious musical departure from the patterns Dylan had been mining for years. Passion, power and excellence trump "different" every time IMHO. Young has been mining two veins for decades, both fully-formed on the first solo album -- the sweet , acoustic strummer (think Old Laughing Lady), and the grinding, melodic rock (When You Dance) -- and at their best those patterns still yield his best work. The experimental stuff? Mostly pretty questionable experience menus IMO.

P

Archived