Gibson Brands Forums

GAS Building Up, Going to Explode!

GibsonKramer

Haven't bought anything yet, but had some time to kill today and decided to stop by GC on my way to my evening commitment. My main guitar guru was there, so I asked them if they still had any LPJ left. He first showed me a sweet used SGJ they had for $299... but said, I wanted to see the others.

They had 4 of them. 3 of them are 2014 and they want just under $700 for them.

HOWEVER - they have a 2013 model, its the Rubbed Vintage, its NOT a blem. They want $479 for it. I'm having a tough time walking away from this one. The only thing holding me back, Christmas is coming up and I haven't shopped for anyone yet. I come home with another guitar... LOL! I may not make it to Christmas.

But, I've been looking at the LPJ and I've noticed some of the ones just a few years old are already going for $1000 and with Gibson dropping it from the lineup, I'm thinking this could be a steal. Plus, I'd really like to have one of those fat 50s necks.

I'm going to head back tomorrow... anything in particular I should be on the lookout for? Anything about the 2013 models, I should know?

Or... should I perhaps snap up that used SGJ (think its a 2013 also and same color) for $299? (no, can't get both)

Well, to help with the Christmas guilt, went ahead and transferred some extra $$$ to my checking, then ordered the kids an XBOX One bundle w/ Kinect, extra controller, rechargeable batteries and 4 games. I'll get my wife a hefty gift card and she'll be happy.

So... still have to mull this over. Would make 3 guitars in less than 3 months. Yikes!

Hello!

Very strictly speaking: it is my opinion - based on my experience.

If I were You, I wouldn't buy either.

Why? You already have a Les Paul Studio, but - sooner or later - You will/may feel the need for an upper range Les Paul: a Standard, or a Custom. At least, that how it was for me. I loved my Studio, and I still do. But when I bought the Classic Custom, suddenly the Studio started to seem - kind of - toy-like. I would like to replace it with a similiar Goldtop P-90s Trad.

Cheers... Bence

I agree with Bence, don't buy either.

You could always dress out your studio with the bux instead. A new set of pups, new tuning machines, etc. Or, as Bence said, squirrel the dough away and add to it over time until you happen across "The One" - when you do, you'll be ready.

I don't agree on the Studio becoming a toy though. I've had my Beauty for many years, but just added a Studio not long ago.

Hello Bob!

Yes, I wasn`t very careful about my statement.

It is a great guitar, it is classy. It`s a true Gibson. Sounds, and plays great.

But, next to the Classic Custom, and - especially the Recording - it seems a bit too simple. But tastes are different, some do prefer that.

Cheers... Bence

Hello Bob!

Yes, I wasn`t very careful about my statement.

It is a great guitar, it is classy. It`s a true Gibson. Sounds, and plays great.

But, next to the Classic Custom, and - especially the Recording - it seems a bit too simple. But tastes are different, some do prefer that.

Cheers... Bence

Bence - I didn't think you were dogging the Studio - I understood your point. :)

I've thought about this more and maybe the OP just wants an inexpensive route to variety. If that's the case, then maybe the '13 J is the way to go for him.

I almost bought a J a few months ago. If there would've been a Fireburst in the store, I would probably have it now [cool]

I have a Studio Pro. It's already dressed out. :D

If I were to buy a much more expensive LP, why would I have to give up either? $299 or $479 versus $2500+, maybe, someday, in the future?

P.S. I don't like the regular Studio model. I'd buy a LPJ before I'd buy one. But, that's just a personal preference. I like to keep it simple. No batteries required, wanted, nor needed.

Man, I don't know guys. I think I'm definitely walking out of there today with one. I'm going to go spend some time with the two of them, get better acquainted.

BUT... I'm started to lean very heavily towards the SGJ.

Southern, you're the whole reason I'm in the mess, btw. You constantly talking up your LPJ, made me walk back into GC... so I'm blaming any backlash that comes my way... on you. :P

Here's my quandary. One of the reasons I started playing the guitar, is a older guy in the neighborhood growing up, used to like to sit out on his patio and play his SG. It was a broken neck and repair, but still... that was the first guitar, I truly loved. I lusted after that thing. If I wasn't thinking about girls, I was thinking about that guitar.

The next guitar, was a Les Paul. I just remember it seeming HUGE and HEAVY. The SG was light as a feather. But the LP, had the tone. I've always loved Gibson tone, on all their guitars, but nothing beats a LP, IMO.

But, I've still always wanted that SG. I have a LP now... and its only a few hundred bucks (for the SGJ).

Dang, I hate decisions like this. (yeah, I know... worlds' smallest violin playing in background)

Yeah, my funds got cut a bit short. I'm going to have to deal with some car issues.

BUT... I wasn't going to let dissuade me completely and I had to get out of house. So I drove over, I wanted to at least compare.

So glad I did! I really like the LPJ. It has some killer tone, I LOVE the neck. I love the sound. One thing bugged me, I know it's going to be more than one piece of mahogany... part of the savings. This one, was at least 4, maybe 5. Though, Gibson is good with hiding it. Took me quite some time to find the joints. I didn't catch it last night, but there's also some setup issues that need to be addressed. Though, nothing that really brought it down in my book. If I have a chance to score one in the future, I probably will.

So today, I gave some attention to the SGJ (it's also a 2013). OH WOW! It's used, so someone already set it up (except they wound the high E backwards for some reason). The LPJ has more bottom end... the SGJ, more bite.

I really liked playing the LPJ last night, but side-by-side, the SGJ won me over.

So, I'm now the proud owner of a 2013 Gibson SGJ, to go with my LP. I really think it's better this way. Except, I can't pick it up until the 14th, because it has to clear, not stolen first. Though, giving me a couple weeks under the radar... is a good thing.

Congratulations! Enjoy it! ...and now I'm 'off the hook' as well. [laugh]

Yes, you are... because its my wife's car that's going to need the work. I can't pick this up until the 14th, because its used and they hold them all for 30 days, before they'll release them (in case they're stolen, I was told). Had I walked in today with a new LPJ, before her car was fixed... it would have been bad. :D

This is cool. I'm happy. I'm glad I'm getting a SG finally. Plus, I got to discover the LPJ. I wouldn't have ever given it another look, now I'll actively look for them. The LPJ thread you guys have and then the subsequent videos I've watched on Youtube, they are a prize of a guitar. Plus, I think they're a heck of an investment (better than the SGJ for sure). I see the LPJ on ebay for $1000+ quite often.

I see the LPJ on ebay for $1000+ quite often.

You see them on ebay with an asking price of $1000. While they are nice guitars, i don't think any one is going to pay a grand for one at this point. I'm guessing ~$500 is about the going rate for one. I wouldn't look at it as an investment.

You see them on ebay with an asking price of $1000. While they are nice guitars, i don't think any one is going to pay a grand for one at this point. I'm guessing ~$500 is about the going rate for one. I wouldn't look at it as an investment.

They wouldn't keep getting listed at that Buy Now price, if someone wasn't buying them. They aren't auctions.

I wouldn't pay that much for one, either. As an investment? Gibson dropped both the LPJ and SGJ from the 2015 lineup. If it stays that way, I don't see how they could be anything other than an investment (well, besides the obvious music instrument).

The going rate for them, locally in our GC, is $479 for the 2013 I was looking at and the 2014 are listed at around $700. Their history and what I've seen them do, probably get about $100 knocked off that, plus a good discount on a case.

Seems like you want it, so get it already. [tongue]

LPJ new were/ are only $599, no way I would pay $1000 for one.

I got the SGJ. I'm good.

Not in a position for the LPJ also, at this point. Maybe in the next 6 months... but, I got Christmas and two motor mounts and a mystery source leak on my wife's car to take care of before another guitar purchase happens.

Archived