Gibson Brands Forums

Jackson Browne Sig

nid2007

I was wondering if any other JB owners are finding that regular playing of that guitar is ruining the desire to play any 1 and 11/16 nut. I just picked up a really nice '76 Martin D-35, but I'm finding the neck pencil like--the way the 60's Gibsons 9/16 nuts used to feel to me.

The JB no longer feels wide to me at all. And while 1 3/4 works fine still, any smaller feels cramped.

While I do consider a 1 3/4" nut comfortable I never considered it wide probably because some of my older guitars have 1 7/8" and 1 13/16" nuts. I can still play a guitar with a 1 11/16" nut though and have a blast. But anything skimpier than that is a no go for me.

I have little issue switching from the wider JB to the the 1.72 J-45. I do find my preference gravitating towards the wider playing field however. I find it a bit harder to go from a short scale to a long scale. But until i run into a 2 inch Roy Smeck, have not had too much issue with width.

I hear what you're saying NId. Picked up my 72 D28 the other day and was surprised how narrow the nut felt. I had also bought a terz size guitar and the nut was so narrow I had to send it back. 1 3/4" seems to be my go to these days and my JB prototype feels just fine...

Yep, I can definitely relate to that issue. I don't have a JB, but my L-1 basically has the same 12-fret neck with a wide nut, and my other favorite guitar is my Gibson F-25 which has a full 2" wide nut. I find the L-1 / Keb Mo / JB necks to be perfect for my hands and playing.

An exception is my Halcyon Parlor with a 1-3/4"... it's just such a comfy and responsive guitar all around that I don't notice as much.

I've been trying to switch up my playing with the nut width and neck profile week to week and It's getting easier for all of them. I used to have trouble with my Martin D41S modified V but since I've been mixing it up it's not even noticeable.

Even the deep V profile of the LC feels really nice. I've also been exercising my grip to help with the arthritis and that is helping.

I was wondering if any other JB owners...

I don't have a JB (I do play The Load Out on keys though [smile] ), but that's why I went with the Epi EF-500 with the 1.75" nut. Well, three of them, actually - mahogany (MNS), rosewood (RANS), and maple (PNS) non-cutaways. Love 'em.

I'm the board's honorary small-handed dude. I found the JB's 1.8 nut easier to handle than the Hummingbird's 1.72 for some reason (neck angle? neck profile?) but still prefer 1-11/16" with everything. Even tighter is OK, as my LG-1, LG-3 and late 60s Hummingbird are among my favorites to play.

See, there's one in every crowd! [scared]

The point has been made and it is a good one that that neck profile and in the case of going from Gibsons to another brand board radius and string spread factor in to how comfortable the feel of the guitar is. Of all my guitars I find my 1930s Schmidt the most comfortable feeling.

Archived