Gibson Brands Forums

New addition

Starpeve

Sorry, I posted this in the lounge, then decided to copy it here. Although it's not an Epi amp, I needed something considerably quieter than my Valve Junior to practice with at home, and I'm so delighted with this little thing that I wanted to share it with you guys.

I know there was a thread a while ago where someone was asking about the best beginner effect pedals to get, and one of the regulars raved about his Yamaha thr10 modelling amp. It got me curious so I've been keeping an eye on them, and finally I thought " Bugger it!" . Yeterday I bought myself the 10c, described as the " Boutique" version. Unlike other modellers, the Yamaha boys model the individual components in the amp model, rather than modelling the final sound of the amp model, thereby giving more realistic valve simulation. Well, unlike a lot of you out there, I have no experience with the real amps included, but 'WOW', this is one seriously good sounding amp! Quite loud for a 10 watt tranny, with the bonus that you can crank up theamp sections, but turn down the output whilst retaining tha cranked sounds. And versatile as hell! Intended as a bedroom amp, I've seen demos of this thing miked up, and they sounded too good to believe. Now I believe. Stereo as well, and you can even use it as

a hi-fi player [thumbup] for your ipod, whatever- or feed music into to play along with, with individual controls for inputs. Usb into a computer for recording, which gives you parallel dry/ wet feeds, some good yet simple onboard effects, and simple preset facilities with more sophisticated tone modeling via software. This thing really is amazing. If you get a chance, try one out! There's also the 'x' model, which is aimed at higher gain amps. [

Just an update for anyone who's interestesed- it's now 5 months since I bought this little beauty and it only gets better as you learn your way around it! I adore this fantastic bit of gear and would recommend going to a store and having a little play around with one. [biggrin]

Ps quite a few Youtube demos for anyone interested.

• 5 months later...

As a footnote, I'm thinling about opering her up and fitting a pair of switching jacks to give me a pair of speaker outs at 5 watts per side to play through a pair of bigger speakers ( in stereo, no less! ), to increase her versatility .

• 1 month later...

I have had an interest in these, but the cost (new) for what I'd do with it is a bit high for me to make the jump. (I like to sit on my deck under our gazebo during the nice weather, with a guitar during the afternoons after work and on weekends.) The Yamaha or a Mustang Mini would be perfect for this, if I could find one on the $low down$ I'd prolly bite. I just take my lil mustang III out for those times when I want to bring an electric out there.. it's a bit over kill, (100watts 1x12 combo) but does the job.

• 1 year later...

Archived