Gibson Brands Forums

NAD Blues

Stu-bud

Took delivery this afternoon of a new Fender Princeton Reverb '65 reissue. It had been shipped from NY to here in Seattle. When I first plugged it in, the amp made a nasty, squealing noise. I shut it off, let it sit a bit, then turned it on again. No more noise, yet.

I played it for a little while, at fairly low volume, and it sounds great so long as I just play gently. If I dig in, pick hard, I get a loud pop or snap noise, and what sounds like a really scratchy pot being cranked around.

I have contacted the seller, but being NY time I had to leave a message. Until then, since I was kind of jazzed to play the amp tonight, any thoughts on what this might be? A bad tube?

Thanks, Stu.

FenderPrincetonReverb_zpsfd1194a6.jpg

Nothing to say other than I would be rightly annoyed.

This is partly the reason I like to shop locally and have very little experience buying and selling on the internet.

I like to have a brick and mortar store with knowledgable staff who I can take something back to if all is not right.

I'm getting my son a guitar and amp for Christmas and have ordered them through the local outlet of a national chain.

They have to bring them in from Yorkville, close to Toronto, 3000 miles away. I could have ordered them directly from Yorkville over the internet but I prefer to have the person to person contact with the local store.

I hope you get the amp fixed soon, and for a low price, if any.

I've had plenty good luck buying stuff on eBay and the internet.

This is likely an issue of the MFG, not the seller. It happens, just give the seller a chance to make good and it is very most likely that they will do so...

I've bought 2 Gibson Les Pauls off of eBay and had no problems whatsoever.

It's a nice looking amp! Once you get this all settled I hope we get some demo/tone vids!

I don't know enough about them to have any idea what it could be. I suppose it could even be something loose in the circuitry, but it sounds like you need to take it to a local Fender certified shop that can do Warranty repairs to at least get it checked-out...

Personally, I don't think a warranty repair is sufficient, it's a new amp and should be replaced, it was obviously faulty straight out of the box, and if you get a "warranty repair" in my view it's no longer a new amp but a repaired one. Have them collect it and replace it with a new one.

Ian

Probably BBP, but, shipping a tube amp is always a bit of a risk.

I had a gibson goldtone GA30RVS show up at my house one day in pieces

90 lb box and UPS - not a good marriage

So, perhaps something jarred a little lose during the shipping.

Sounds like it's probably a bad/loose preamp tube. I brought an amp home from a repair shop plugged it in and played a bit, when I hit some low resonant notes I heard the amp 'crackle' and fuzz, like a bad distortion tone

"If I dig in, pick hard, I get a loud pop or snap noise, and what sounds like a really scratchy pot being cranked around."
Yeah, like that. It was a bad preamp tube.

Thanks to you all for your comments. I spoke with the seller this morning, and it was a no questions asked, yes you can return this for a replacement new amp that does not snap, crackle and pop. Seller did not even suggest that we try to fix it. They immediately sent me a return postage label for UPS. The amp is gone, on its way back to NY. Hopefully amp number 2 will be OK.

Thanks to you all for your comments. I spoke with the seller this morning, and it was a no questions asked, yes you can return this for a replacement new amp that does not snap, crackle and pop. Seller did not even suggest that we try to fix it. They immediately sent me a return postage label for UPS. The amp is gone, on its way back to NY. Hopefully amp number 2 will be OK.

That's great news, a hassle free service, I'd buy from them again.

Ian

That's great!

But I also meant by "warranty repair" was a simple fix like finding a damaged tube and replacing it or some other "warranty repair" like finding a loose connection and simply fixing it on the spot that doesn't leave it in any kind of damaged or compromised condition...

Moot point now, and that's a good thing...

I want a demo video review when the new one arrives. I'm interested in what this model is like! I'd like to put my own Princeton Blues behind me!

I don't know why new amps are shipped with the valves installed. Causes all kinds of problems.

it would probably intimidate or scare some people, putting in tubes... the un initiated.

i think everyone is on the mark about a bad tube. especially if BBP says so. not diminishing the weight of everyone else's opinion. BBP builds 'em from scratch...

I'll tell ya what. Whoever covers those Fender cabinets needs a raise. The thing is beautiful. I guess you can get really good when you do it all day long. The grill cloth is as close to perfect as you can get. [thumbup]

Fender says it is a special run of only 200 units, the "Fudge Brownie." I thought it was a cool alternative to all black (which I am a fan of).

Archived