Gibson Brands Forums

J15 mediums

nopicknick

I called Gibson asking if medium strings would be okay for the J15. All he said was they recommend what came on the guitar. For me mediums would be a huge improvement, but I certainly do not want to harm the guitar......anyone using heavier strings with theirs?

I'd advise sticking with what any manufacturer recommends for each model. There's a reason for those recommendations. The J series guitars are lightly built and I'd be very careful about going to a heavier string gauge. I use Martin Retro lights on my J-35 and it sounds amazing with good strong bass and great balance...better than any strings I've tried on it. Only out of curiosity, I tried mediums on it for just a few days and didn't sound as good....more 'contained' with less sustain and no improvement in volume. Better bass response and 'life' with lights. Just my experience with my J-35.

DC

I called Gibson asking if medium strings would be okay for the J15. All he said was they recommend what came on the guitar. For me mediums would be a huge improvement, but I certainly do not want to harm the guitar......anyone using heavier strings with theirs?

I really am SURE and I know that 56 is NOT a string for your J15. But you can try ;-)

I have two other guitars that both companies say mediums are just fine. The J15 sounds fine, but I prefer the feel of heavier strings as well as the added tonal "girth" it gives. I have three children that I will pass these guitars down to, but as for now they are mine and I want to enjoy them. With the notion that mediums may not be recommended for the 15, especially over time, is a concern for me. On a side note, the store I buy my gear from takes pictures of you holding your guitar when you make a purchase. They then will mail you a very nice thank you card, with the picture laminated inside, describing what you bought with their appreciation.

Might be a little silly to some when I say those thank you cards are important to me. Reason......I am 50 years old, my children are ten, eight and five. They too are in the pictures as well, and I keep the cards in each guitar case. Years from now when these instruments go to them that card will be an important link to the guitars history.

That is why, for me anyway, not harming the J15 over time is more than just a playability issue. Probably more than likely though, I will go back to the store and work a deal for a more suitable guitar for my needs. My children will be with me so the trip over to Pensacola, and their input and suggestions for another guitar, should be a fun and memorable experience for all of us.

Archived