Gibson Brands Forums

1952 les paul goldtop

Gibson Artist

Guest Farnsbarns

That appears to have the unplayable trapeze as well. The only reason I'd pay a tenth of it's value would be because I could resell it. Definitely one for the "collectors".

Sorry, but I don't like the trapeze tail piece.

The trapeze would do it in for me too. Ok on a jazz box but not on anything else and that includes 335 types IMO.

That appears to have the unplayable trapeze as well. The only reason I'd pay a tenth of it's value would be because I could resell it. Definitely one for the "collectors".

Agree completely.

They had speed knobs in 1952?

They must have - The seller claims "EVERYTHING is right . . ."

I remember how it came as a surprise when I became aware that the early LPs had come stock with Speed Knobs.

Although I'm a fan of them, they wouldn't save such a deal for me. I preferred modding my very playable Tune-O-Matic & Stopbar LPs using Speed Knobs. B)

They had speed knobs in 1952?

I remember how it came as a surprise when I became aware that the early LPs had come stock with Speed Knobs.

Me too. I think it was L5Larry who pointed out that the '52-style are slightly higher than the later versions.

And there are direct replacement trapeze bridges available which allow the guitar to be played without the need for a neck re-set.

Our old friend Thermionik has one on his own '52 and says it's perfect.

Other that not being a fan of the all-gold G-T's I think that it's a bit of a steal.

P.

I'm in Western MA...

Maybe I'll go take a look at it...

U think the owner'd let me just come fondle it for myself without any intent to buy? blink.gif

While I'm down with the original Freddy King thing, I way prefer a '56 and a dark back...

Looks absolutely beautiful but you'd have to get it checked and verified - it is astonishing that the finish hasn't degraded more, would need a very careful inspection by a real expert.

Price seems good though if you have that sort of $$$$$!!

Wow. Rare to find an "all gold" with the finish in such shape.

15k? I haven't followed prices lately, but besides confirming the guitar itself, confirming the VALUE or what they are going for would be on my list as well.

Last I knew, while "all gold" was indeed rare, as far as pricing goes they were comparable with the gold-tops, mainly because the finish DOES deteriorate quickly, gets that green-thing going much more easily on spots where the gold-topped version doesn't. Of corse, the fact this one happens to be in great shape finish-wise is might make a difference...might not.

Of corse the other facter here, is this is DEFINITELY more of a "collector's" here for the very reason that if it is played a certain amount, that gold is going to get some green happening pretty easily. Not a very playable investment if that is what you are buying.

But as far a playing or buying for playing, sure that bridge sucks. But there IS some really, REALLY good reasons to be serious about this axe and what it can do for a player. And mainly, that is the P-90 thing. These old originals kinda have a reputation for being some of the best sounding guitars one could likely experience from anything ever made, at any time.

If one was a P-90 type, and had a genie who could bring him any and all P-90 guitars ever made, the "best" sounding one would more than likely be an original 50's LP like this one. And out of all those, where does this one sit? If one makes an educated guess, this might be in the top 200 or so "best" sounding P-90 guitars in existence. So...how much is that worth? 15k? hmmm.....

Doesn't look all original to me....tuners should be push in bushings which they are not in the pic of the front of the head stock, although the seller clearly states that the tuners are original. Couldn't believe the rest of what he has to say about originality now, guitar is probably a re-finish too.

Doesn't look all original to me....tuners should be push in bushings which they are not in the pic of the front of the head stock, although the seller clearly states that the tuners are original. Couldn't believe the rest of what he has to say about originality now, guitar is probably a re-finish too.

Good eye on the tuner bushings. I was marveling about how shiny the polepiece screws looked so new while the screw on the pickguard is black and the chrome bracket is pitted with rust. Definitely has had some work done.

Good eye on the tuner bushings. I was marveling about how shiny the polepiece screws looked so new while the screw on the pickguard is black and the chrome bracket is pitted with rust. Definitely has had some work done.

Good eye on the metal, too.

I think it IS possible most is still original though, judging from the fact most of the hardware looks to be in the same state. Another clue is looking at the pots- VERY little corrosion there, and they almost always have an oxidation to them. Don't they look original? I think they do, and the corrosion pattern looks like what one might expect.

Either way, one would want to try and "authenticate" the originality. Mainly the finish. But there are some things that can never be known.

After all is said and done, not sure it really matters all that much. I wouldn't expect there to be much difference in value if the parts are original to the guitar or if they are replaced with the correct parts. Correct being from the same year or era with no differences.

The tuners could be stock though. Please refer to the pics around the linked one - sorry, wasn't able to link for instant viewing here:

1952 Gibson Les Paul

What's the old saying? If it seems too good to be true, it probably ain't true!

I am certainly no expert on value of vintage LPs, but seems if it really is what it says it is they'd be asking quite a bit more than $15K.

Then there is the question of how it has been sealed up so well for 62 years that there is no greening on the finish?

And as mentioned of course the trapeze is a drawback when it comes to playing. Believe the whole reason for the stopbar was problems with intonation on these trapeze models.

But if it truly is an all original '52 that would be cool, just cause there can't be too many around anymore.

As long as there's no checking, the finish should stay golden. It's still like new on a bandmate's late-1970's Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top with natural back.

I think in case this guitar got a perfectly blended finish sprayed on, was seldom played and always stored like mine are, this condition is possible.

As long as there's no checking, the finish should stay golden. It's still like new on a bandmate's late-1970's Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top with natural back.

I think it is like 98% of the earliest gold tops greened up within a couple years, nothing stopped it. Nothing after 1956 should have a greening problem.

rct

Archived