Gibson Brands Forums

Brand new Explorer with tilted bridge

1982jcm

Couldn't find much info anywhere here on this situation so here goes............

I just picked up a brand new Lzzy Hale Explorer this morning. When I looked at it the bridge is tilted noticeably forward with all saddles facing the same direction. The posts also appear bent but there is no damage to the guitar like it was dropped or the bridge struck with something. The salesperson said that it's setup like that in the factory and that its not a concern however when I took it to my local setup tech he immediately told me to take it back to the store to have them deal with it because the way the bridge is leaning won't allow a proper intonation unless all of the saddles are reversed, and then he says in his opinion it's still 'not useable' with the tilt of the bridge as it is.

I'm not a tech so I'm not familiar with that aspect but I'm now wondering if this is something that will have to be returned to Gibson? I called Gibson and spoke to a service rep and he said that he'd need a photo of the bridge to be able to give me an answer because there are two different types of bridges that Gibson uses. The guitar is still at the shop being looked at so I can't provide a photo. I've read on other forum sites that the bridge shouldn't be tilted and if so its because the posts were bent while being strung, the problem will worsen over time, etc while others have said its a common situation and won't affect the playability.

Has anyone experienced the same with any Gibson bridges and if so what the outcome was? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

When about mine, it depends on the model. The flat top SG, L6S and Explorer guitars of mine came with perpendicular posts. Those of my hardtail Les Paul models are tilted backwards, i. e. towards tailpiece. However, the bushings are close to perpendicular with respect to the carved top surface. The Floyd Rose posts on a Les Paul of mine are perpendicular to the flat recess on the top bearing the bushings.

Due to neck angle and string action, all of the Tune-O-Matic bridges on my Gibsons lean backward relative to string run so to say.

All of my T-O-M came with all the saddles having their beveled edge towards tailpiece. For achieving proper compensation, I had to reverse that of the G3rd on all guitars and that of the B2nd on one.

When about mine, it depends on the model. The flat top SG, L6S and Explorer guitars of mine came with perpendicular posts. Those of my hardtail Les Paul models are tilted backwards, i. e. towards tailpiece. However, the bushings are close to perpendicular with respect to the carved top surface. The Floyd Rose posts on a Les Paul of mine are perpendicular to the flat recess on the top bearing the bushings.

Due to neck angle and string action, all of the Tune-O-Matic bridges on my Gibsons lean backward relative to string run so to say.

All of my T-O-M came with all the saddles having their beveled edge towards tailpiece. For achieving proper compensation, I had to reverse that of the G3rd on all guitars and that of the B2nd on one.

Mine leans towards the neck, not away, so I definitely think there is an issue with mine.

Guest Farnsbarns

Absolutely verticle or leaning slightly back but definitely not leaning forward. That's structurally unstable. You want that replaced.

Absolutely verticle or leaning slightly back but definitely not leaning forward. That's structurally unstable. You want that replaced.

Thanks for everyone's replies. Turned out the factory posts were bent. The repair tech said that the part of the posts that goes into the guitar body are very short so they replaced them with OEM Gibson posts and the bridge is now sitting as it should. Whew........... [tongue]

Glad they got it solved for you. [thumbup]

Thanks. I'm just wondering how in the hell the posts got bent though. There's no way whomever did the assembly wouldn't have noticed it and they must have been straight when the bridge was put on. Would they have gotten bent when it was strung? The repair guy said the posts were very short but there would have had to have been some sort of force applied to bend them. I've heard of QC issues at Gibson but that was a bit ridiculous.

Well, I don't think one would bend bridge posts through "normal" stringing.

I've read that if the tailpiece is cranked down while the strings are tuned it will tilt the bridge but I would think if anything it would tilt backwards. Strange..............

Guest Farnsbarns

It was brand new when it got to the store. Another mystery courtesy of the Gibson QC department.............. [tongue]

I'm guessing that guitar was dropped on it's front while in the case. I doubt it passed QC like that. You've got to ask yourself who you're buying from when their first response was that it's normal.

I'm guessing that guitar was dropped on it's front while in the case. I doubt it passed QC like that. You've got to ask yourself who you're buying from when their first response was that it's normal.

In my opinion, dropping within the case would rather have broken the headstock than bent bridge posts. I share the opinion that the fault is unlikely to have been there when the guitar passed QC. To my senses, considering it as normal is just poor.

The TonePros bushings are of slightly more height than others. Those on a Les Paul guitar of mine featuring TonePros locking hardware are a bit over the top, not flush with it.

Could it be that also on this Lzzy Hale Explorer the beads of the bushings were not flush with the top, and someone tried to push them down using bridge and posts, perhaps at the retailer?

Just a suggestion.

The posts shouldn't be tilting forward. They should be pretty much perpendicular to the surface of the guitar. If you get us a picture we can make a judgement as to whether they're more tilted than they should be. Good luck. [thumbup]

return it, your luthier is right, it will be impossible to get get the correct intonation.

Archived