Gibson Brands Forums

Closet find, 1934-35 L-50

Bjabass

I was in Florida visiting my wife's aunt and she asked if I would look at her deceased husbands guitar. She opened a closet and in the back were 2 cases. I asked which one she wanted me to look at and she pointed at one. It was a rather generic, well used Yamaha dreadnought, she said it was her husbands favorite. I told her it needed to be restrung, since the strings were very rusty. She said to look at the other one, so I opened it up and it was this old archtop. She said it had been damaged by the moving company a couple of years ago and she hadn't looked at it until months later.

Aside from the crack, it was in amazing condition, apparently because he preferred the Yamaha, I would assume because it was louder and he played southern gospel. She said they had bought it 30 years ago at a yard sale for $15.....

Well I sent these pics to Gibson customer service and they identified it for me. I had no idea how old it was, but it had the old capo in the case along with a guitar music book dated 1935.

The lady who owns it has no emotional attachment since her husband never really played it, and since she is on social security, she would sell it. Unfortunately the crack probably significantly devalued this guitar. I have seen these on Ebay for around $1500-$2500. If a professional repair was done, does anyone want to venture a guess what it is worth and what would be the best way and place to market it?

Gibson1_zpsa1ef63a7.jpg

Gibson2_zpsa19d0fa8.jpg

Gibson4_zpse8d32a25.png

Gibson3_zps97cc77b9.jpg

capo_zps858745ad.jpg

Thanks, Bernie

It's a shame about the crack. Looks pretty good condition otherwise.

As you already know on Ebay they've been going anywhere from 900-1600 in a crack free condition although the Vintage Guitar book has them listed at 1900-2400 for the '34-'45 16" models in excellent condition.

GBase has them listed higher and closer to the book price but you never know what they're actually selling at.

Since there's no sentimental attachment I would get it to a good luthier and get an estimate to see if it's worth fixing or just selling as is. Unfortunately they're not high on the collectible list.

Good luck with it.

It could become a bit more valuable in time. I would send it out for repair and store it away, or play it.

The L-50 is a very basic model, and is unlikely to gain much value over time. If that's a simple displaced crack with no interior damage or other damage, it might cost $200 or so to fix it. Unfortunately, these really aren't worth much money these days, despite what any vintage guitar guide says.

It may just be the angle of the photo, but in the photo it looks more like a 14.75" model than a 16" model, not that this would have much or any impact on value.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived