Gibson Brands Forums

Any one play a J29 need some feedback

Cibby53

I never here any talk of the J29. I know it cost a lot more than the J35 and J15 both I have played and liked. I watched some Music Villa videos of the J29 and thought it sounded awesome.

Has anyone played one or maybe bought a J29 and have an opinion about it . One major question I have is how does the neck compare to the J35 neck which I really liked because of its full feel in my hands . I didn't get the J35 because i have D18 and a J45 and want a rosewood back and sides Gibson.

Unless you just want the short scale, an AJ is a nice rosewood back and sides guitar. You can get them used for pretty nice prices.

Sorry I haven't played the J-29. I got the J-15 back in February, I love it.

I've only played one - okay. For me a Gibson with Rosewood => AJ . . If you're buying used, some AJ's will have Sitka tops. The newer models come with an Adi top - the sound of the Adi/Rosewood combo is fantastic. . You also get the traditional and distinctive "diamond and arrows" fret markers.

I'd just plug in, turn up the volume and lean it on an amp. That should give you plenty of feedback! [biggrin]

(sorry, couldn't resist....)

----

I've only played one; it sounded all right, perfectly Gibson-y. I never really explored it much as I have an SJ rosewood that fills that sound niche for me.

I think the AJ is a good choice. I've found very little on the J29 besides videos which I'm not sure if they don't clean the sound up on them or if there plugged in you can beef the sound up. The only way I would consider the J29 would be to play it myself before buying. Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

played one yesterday at the local GC. Unlike others, I was very impressed. Much more so than any RW AJ I've played at the GC (they never set them up properly) and much more than those RW J-45's Bozeman was making 8 or so years ago (everyone i played was very heavy). Played, sounded and felt like a slope shouldered, short scale SWD to me--which I like.

I was very surprised to have liked it as much as I did. [those hunky grovers gotta go though].

I played one at Fuller's and liked it a lot - a little bigger, more robust sound than a J-45, but not as big as an AJ. Kind of in between them. If I didn't already have a J-50, I would have seriously considered it. But I agree the tuners would have to be swapped out.

FWIW, I wasn't a big fan of the J-15, which puts me in the minority here.

I played one at Fuller's and liked it a lot - a little bigger, more robust sound than a J-45, but not as big as an AJ. Kind of in between them. If I didn't already have a J-50, I would have seriously considered it. But I agree the tuners would have to be swapped out.

FWIW, I wasn't a big fan of the J-15, which puts me in the minority here.

I felt the same way and I did buy one. I love it's big sound and bass but is still well balanced.

Archived