Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt

MichaelDH

Thinking about getting an acoustic before the end of the year. I tried out recently at Sweetwater a Masterbilt for a few minutes, seemed like a pretty nice guitar.

Just wondered who had one, and what your thoughts were on it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking about getting an acoustic before the end of the year. I tried out recently at Sweetwater a Masterbilt for a few minutes, seemed like a pretty nice guitar.

Which one did you try I have the dr500mce and it is as solid a guitar as any out there at any price.

Recently got this AJ500M:

001_zps02ea3abf.jpg

Played one at the local GC a couple of years ago, but wanted Rosewood. I was, however, impressed with the quality, etc. Well, then Epi dq'd the Masterbilt's. Just saw a couple of months ago where they were going to ship some Masterbilt AJ500M's through the GC, so I jumped. Glad I did. Love the guitar. It's a Martin/Taylor quality at a fraction of the cost. Can't speak for the electonics as mentioned previously. For A/E's I own Ovations. This is my one, true, "acoustic" and I couldn't be happier.

As an aside, I always take new guitars to my luthier for a quick "warranty issue" going over, and a good setup of nothing shows up on the warranty front. His first comment was "Oh yeah, I love the Masterbilts." YMMV.

I own two fine slope shoulders Masterbilts. Great guitars! Buy it without hesitation. Mine are outstanding....better than my previous Martins and Taylors...all of which were sold off when I got the Masterbilts. The lower priced Epiphone 220 series models are also excellent. (AJ220S, AJ220SCE, and even the Epiphone Hummingbird.) But the Masterbilts, for more money, are top of the Epiphone premium line. ..and they are well worth the money. The new Epiphone $599 Masterbilt DR500MCE will stand back to back with any Martin costing $2400 and up.... Um, but don't expect many Martin owners to fess up to that!

Let's put it this way...

Anybody who gets a Masterbuilt and doesn't get a case for it either isn't going to play it anywhere outside his or his neighbor's yard, or he doesn't value an instrument he or she has had set up for him or her. 'Cuz it's more than worth protecting.

I'll also agree about the AJ220s...

m

As everyone has said, they're excellent guitars. I've got three non-cutaways: a mahogany, a rosewood with abalone, and a maple, all with spruce top. <= these were only made from 2004-2010. All mine were purchased used, and they're in like-new condition. They're all EF-500's, with the 1.75" nut. I've heard nothing but good about the newer acoustic/electrics, but I'm not wild about the cutaway shape....

Actually, I just put the 2010 rosewood EF-500RA up for sale locally. I'll see if I get any bites before going national and dealing with shipping....

efra071.jpg

Not sure what model it was. Sounded really good and played nice for the few minutes I played it.

There's what appears to be a nice EF-500MNS at guitarcenter Tucson (in GC's 'used gear' section). $399 includes case is a darn good deal. I really like my EF-500MNS....

Just my two cents.... I have a DR500MNA a 2007 model and after owning so many "high End" acoustic guitars, too many to mention, my DR500 is hands down my favorite of all by far.

What I really like about the mahogany body Masterbilts is there tonal balance from string to string. Not over bassy on the low end and not overly shrill on the high end. The mids are perfect.

They are great solo artist guitars.

Mine has such a perfect neck for me, better than any of my other acoustic guitars ever no matter how much they had cost me including my 11,000 dollar custom shop Martin 000-45.

Masterbilt Epiphone's are in general without a doubt, in my humble opinion, the best guitars on the market dollar for dollar than any others.

tn_zps37e0952f.jpg

I have a 500MCE 2011 model bought new in 2012 one of the finest guitars I have ever had. Been playing guitars for 48 years and when I think of all the guitars I have had over that time that were to me the one just blows me away that this thing for 600.00 CDN can stand with them all. Still have a 1972 bird and this DR is on its way to being as good a sound as it is.Mik [thumbup]

In fact, some Epi forum members have suggested that since the Masterbuilts are not apparently being made to meet demand, that Gibson is concerned about losing sales on Gibson-branded lower-price acoustics.

Yeah, I think they're just about that good too, regardless that most ain't as shiny as a Gibson.

m

Hello All,

I'm pulling the trigger on a used EF-500 in rosewood, with a cutaway, this weekend, and I have two questions- 1, does anyone know what string gauge Epi ships these with, and 2- does anyone have a recommendation for a good solid case that will withstand some road abuse? Thank,

d

there are many great options when it comes to cases. In my humble opinion....

Calton are the very best.... http://www.calton-cases.com/ , then Hiscox.... http://www.hiscoxcases.com/index.htm

then Ameritage.... http://www.ameritagecases.com/customshop.php and then the next level... TKL, SKB, Gator, Silver Creek, Superior, CNB, and many many others.

Hello All,

I'm pulling the trigger on a used EF-500 in rosewood, with a cutaway, this weekend, and I have two questions- 1, does anyone know what string gauge Epi ships these with, and 2- does anyone have a recommendation for a good solid case that will withstand some road abuse? Thank,

d

I believe they ship with 12-53 for the most part

I have a 500MCE 2011 model bought new in 2012 one of the finest guitars I have ever had. Been playing guitars for 48 years and when I think of all the guitars I have had over that time that were to me the one just blows me away that this thing for 600.00 CDN can stand with them all. Still have a 1972 bird and this DR is on its way to being as good a sound as it is.Mik [thumbup]

Good to hear it, Mik, and welcome to the board.

My EF500RA just sold, by the way. When I got it, it was to see which I would keep, that or the EF500MNS. I'm sticking with this mahogany guitar, and glad to get my money back out of the RA. Now I can pick up a nice little EL-00 Pro. [woot]

Oh, here's my mahogany. Flawless. She's moved into the SKB case now. B)

pio040.jpg

Good to hear it, Mik, and welcome to the board.

My EF500RA just sold, by the way. When I got it, it was to see which I would keep, that or the EF500MNS. I'm sticking with this mahogany guitar, and glad to get my money back out of the RA. Now I can pick up a nice little EL-00 Pro. [woot]

Oh, here's my mahogany. Flawless. She's moved into the SKB case now. B)

pio040.jpg

Now that is a very sweet Masterbilt !!

Archived