Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Heritage V reissue replacement case handle

mat-with-one-t

Hi all. I have a 1981 Gibson Heritage Korina, and the original case handle is knackered (as they tend to be). It's the brown case with the pink lining. The handle I got with the case when I bought it is a cheap plastic job (and it of course snapped in twain in transit recently).

As far as I am aware the originals are a stitched (brown with white stitching?) leather (or maybe vinyl?), with a "squared C" shape and a flattened ridge where it's stitched. Is this all correct?

If so, where on earth would I find one? I'll also need the hinge hardware. Would of course prefer original - don't suppose someone got a huge box of them from the factory in 1983??

Any help would be great.

Mat

1981GibsonEliteHeritageV_zpsd401890e.jpg

Also guys, here's a link to an obviously near minty one, and in the pics (tell me if I'm wrong), but the handle actually lloks plastic. The busted one on mine is solid plastic. Could it be actually original? I'd just assumed that a custom case for an expensive limited run reissue trying to look like an original 58 would use a proper stiched leather handle!?

http://www.frettedamericana.com/product/1981-gibson-flying-v-heritage-birds-eye-korina

Also guys, here's a link to an obviously near minty one, and in the pics (tell me if I'm wrong), but the handle actually lloks plastic. The busted one on mine is solid plastic. Could it be actually original? I'd just assumed that a custom case for an expensive limited run reissue trying to look like an original 58 would use a proper stiched leather handle!?

http://www.frettedamericana.com/product/1981-gibson-flying-v-heritage-birds-eye-korina

Nope, mine is solid plastic with fake white stitching and I bought it brand new. Also bought a LP in 82 with the same case, brown and pink, also had a plastic handle that just broke off a little while ago. I got a replacement that was leather with straps and buckles that fits on the existing metal brackets. It was cheap but does the job somewhat. I found it and others on Amazon.

Archived