Gibson Brands Forums

GA-1RVT Maestro SPEAKER

Canucker

Does anyone ANYONE!!!! have this amp with an original Jensen speaker?

I purchased one (stole it!) that had a crappy, cheap, awful, non original speaker in it....so bad that I doubt the person who put it in put no thought into it other then that its the right size...they just grabbed what they had.....I've had no luck anywhere online finding how many OHMS the original speaker is....

.DOES ANYONE HAVE ONE THEY COULD TEST TO FIND THIS OUT???

every time I find someone who I think would have some knowledge they answer someting like "Oh just toss a blah blah blah OHM speaker in there and see how it works"....not really encouraging words when I want to spend some money on it so getting the right thing would be no problem IF I KNEW WHAT THE RIGHT THING WAS.....

I even found a photo online of the speaker inside one and sent the cereal number from the photo to Jensen and got back a "thats not a code of ours" message....the serial number should be on the lip of the speaker not on the back underneath the magnet....as displayed in the photo I saw.

Thanks in advance for any help on this....its much appriciated!

• 2 weeks later...

The speaker is a Jensen 8J11, Jensen Part No V-1309. I do not have the equipment to measure the impedance, few people do. Most likely it is 8 ohms.

Thanks for the numbers!!! Thats the most help I've had on this for close to a year. I'll message jensen again and see what they say. I've tried getting info on this from several places and have gotten a lot of well intentioned answers of its probably this or its probably that. One person claimed that most gibson related amps used 4ohms up until the mid 60s. I know that 8 ohms is the most common for guitar speakers but with those numbers I should be able to take the guess work out of this. THANK YOU SOOOO MUCHHH!!!

Thanks for the numbers!!! Thats the most help I've had on this for close to a year. I'll message jensen again and see what they say. I've tried getting info on this from several places and have gotten a lot of well intentioned answers of its probably this or its probably that. One person claimed that most gibson related amps used 4ohms up until the mid 60s. I know that 8 ohms is the most common for guitar speakers but with those numbers I should be able to take the guess work out of this. THANK YOU SOOOO MUCHHH!!!

searching the 8J11 every link turned it up as an 8 ohm speaker...I figured the 8 in the name was for the inches. One link mentioned that they are listed as 8 ohms but always tested around 6.6 ohms.

.... listed as 8 ohms but always tested around 6.6 ohms.

This is typical of testing the resistance of a speaker with a multi-meter.

An 8 ohm speakers will meter out in the mid 6's.

A 4 ohm speaker will meter out around 3.4 or so.

Archived