Gibson Brands Forums

Value of promotional unit? SG 60's tribute

blackdeuce

I recently ordered a Gibson SG 60's tribute. I bought it online without seeing photos of the actual guitar. I was confused by the listing because it said that it was brand new and it included the original Gibson hard case. It also had "vintage" style tuners. Based on the type of tuners, I thought it might be a leftover 2011 model. I couldn't explain the hard case because I think both the 2011 and 2013 came with gig bags.

Anyway, it shows up and it is a 2013 model and it did have the nice Gibson USA hard case that you would get with one of the more expensive Gibsons (and all of the case candy). Looks to be unplayed. But, it has Gibson Deluxe tuners instead of the Grover kidney style tuners. I'm thinking "wth"? I couldn't figure out why anyone would have swapped the tuners and there are no visual signs of them being changed.

I called Gibson and was impressed that a gentleman quickly answered the phone and spoke to me (kudos to Gibson). I gave him the serial number and he tells me that it was a "promotional" unit. As such, he said that it could have shipped with the Gibson Deluxe tuners as well as the hard case. These units were used for sales promotions, etc.

I had expressed my concerns about the tuners to the seller and he told me that the original owner worked at a guitar store and had won it in a contest. He had not touched (altered) the guitar at all. Everything made sense now.

Does this sort of thing have any affect on the value of the guitar? If it had been modified by a consumer, I would think that a tuner swap would hurt the value, but in this case, it appears to have shipped this way from the factory. I think it's kinda cool.

Does this sort of thing have any affect on the value of the guitar?

It will affect the value any way a seller can dream up and a buyer believe. Outside of that, objectively, no.

rct

Yeah, but it's one of a kind. [smile] I think it's cool, but it's probably not a big deal. I was worried that it might detract from the value.

The process of discovery was kinda fun. I couldn't figure out how this could have occurred. I wasn't aware that Gibson had promotional units that might differ from the retail units.

That red is stunning. She's a real beauty. I do find it odd looking at an SG with no pickguard. You could install a smaller one instead of the full sized bat wing one.

I'm not sure what Gibson's thinking was with the omission of the pickguard. The 2011 Tributes have the smaller one.

I recently bought a 2013 SG 60's Tribute as well.

It's a great guitar and my only gripe about it is that it didn't come with a hard case.

You're lucky!

The hard case was one of the reasons that I was willing to roll the dice and buy this guitar despite the confusing description and lack of photos. I have a 70's Tribute that came with the gig bag (it's also Cherry). I needed a hard case for storage, so I bought a nice, used Gibson USA case on eBay. It cost me $140 shipped which wasn't a bad deal.

I see you also own a 2014 SGJ, blackdeuce...I'm thinking about getting one myself before they disappear.

Is the neck the same as the SG 60's Tribute's neck? I love the profile of the Tribute's neck, and if it's the same, I'll definitely pull the trigger on ordering one.

I'm no expert with this stuff. I'm just getting into playing.

Looking at the Gibson website, the SGJ has a 50's slim profile (rounded) neck. The 60's Tribute has a 60's slim profile neck. They appear to be different dimensionally. I could have my son do a comparison as far as playability, but I'm not much help there. Sorry.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/SGJ.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-60s-Tribute.aspx

My son is at college, or I would have him do a comparison. He hasn't seen the 60's Tribute yet.

When I asked him what he thought of the SGJ, he said "I can play it as well as any other, but I'm used to going from skinny Ibanez necks to baseball bat Les Pauls". That probably doesn't help you much. :lol:

FWIW, he played it quite a bit last weekend and seemed to enjoy it. From the research that I did, it's a lot of bang for the buck. I like the Vintage Sunburst Perimeter that I got. I've seen some Cherry that look decent and some that are not so pretty.

Definitely good bang for the buck and they're going fast!

I hope to get one in Fireburst, but my second choice would be the same as what you have.

And I checked the dimensions in the links you gave me...seems the Tribute has a slimmer neck, but I doubt that'll stop me from getting the SGJ.

Thanks again for your help.

Definitely good bang for the buck and they're going fast!

I hope to get one in Fireburst, but my second choice would be the same as what you have.

And I checked the dimensions in the links you gave me...seems the Tribute has a slimmer neck, but I doubt that'll stop me from getting the SGJ.

Thanks again for your help.

Sent you a PM.

Gibson60stribute_zps85c64bc6.jpg

20141103_152358_zpsa2256194.jpg

That red is stunning. She's a real beauty. I do find it odd looking at an SG with no pickguard. You could install a smaller one instead of the full sized bat wing one.

They look great. [love] I would for sure leave them both without a pickguard.

Vintage Sunburst Perimeter. $60 cheaper than Fireburst, but I can put the savings towards a case.

Good choice. I haven't seen a fireburst guitar, but I like the Vintage Sunburst Perimeter. The photo that I took isn't very good. I think it looks better in person. Pretty nice for an inexpensive guitar. My son thinks it will look really cool after it's been beat up a bit. LOL.

As a follow up, I emailed some pictures to Gibson customer service and they confirmed that the Gibson Deluxe pickups are original to my guitar.

I have to say that I've been very impressed with their timely responses to my two inquiries. Good job, Gibson.

I'm not sure what Gibson's thinking was with the omission of the pickguard. The 2011 Tributes have the smaller one.

Yup, pickguard and P90's were stock on my 2011 SG 60's tribute, but has dot position markers.... the Vol/Tone knobs have been swapped for reflectors

14619338627_84ab61d984_c.jpgDSC_2701 by bobbyjeepyj, on Flickr

I recently ordered a Gibson SG 60's tribute. I bought it online without seeing photos of the actual guitar. I was confused by the listing because it said that it was brand new and it included the original Gibson hard case. It also had "vintage" style tuners. Based on the type of tuners, I thought it might be a leftover 2011 model. I couldn't explain the hard case because I think both the 2011 and 2013 came with gig bags.

Anyway, it shows up and it is a 2013 model and it did have the nice Gibson USA hard case that you would get with one of the more expensive Gibsons (and all of the case candy). Looks to be unplayed. But, it has Gibson Deluxe tuners instead of the Grover kidney style tuners. I'm thinking "wth"? I couldn't figure out why anyone would have swapped the tuners and there are no visual signs of them being changed.

I called Gibson and was impressed that a gentleman quickly answered the phone and spoke to me (kudos to Gibson). I gave him the serial number and he tells me that it was a "promotional" unit. As such, he said that it could have shipped with the Gibson Deluxe tuners as well as the hard case. These units were used for sales promotions, etc.

I had expressed my concerns about the tuners to the seller and he told me that the original owner worked at a guitar store and had won it in a contest. He had not touched (altered) the guitar at all. Everything made sense now.

Does this sort of thing have any affect on the value of the guitar? If it had been modified by a consumer, I would think that a tuner swap would hurt the value, but in this case, it appears to have shipped this way from the factory. I think it's kinda cool.

Shouldn't you be concerned about playing it instead of selling it? What's the point of buying an expensive guitar and then go "nah" and try to sell it? Seems like a waste of time and money.

Archived