Gibson Brands Forums

490T question and plese confirm these statements...

mountain2012

How does the 490T compare with the burstbuckers, '57s, and the'59 tribute?

And to the best of your knowledge do these statements ring true?

"So all these pickups are wound just about the same, but the differences are:

Burstbuckers are overwound on the slug side making for very unbalanced coils based on the slugs already having more metal than the screws.

'57 Classics have equal winds for a slight unbalance due to the slug side's extra conductance,

Custom Buckers have A3 magnets instead of A2s. How are the coils balanced?

'61s have A5s and are overwound on the screw coil making for a very balanced pickup.

'59 tributes have A2s and are overwound on the screw coil making for a very balanced pickup.

Super '57s are the same as '57 Plus but have a four conductor."

The 490T is "T" spaced like all the pickups with the "T" suffix. Coils should be parallel wound and thus balanced, creating a higher inductance of the slug coil. The wider pole piece spacing will match treble position. Magnet should be an AlNiCo 2.

The coil wire of all the "T"s is of lighter gauge since there is less space left for the windings. This causes both higher DC resistance and attenuation of resonance peak. The outer dimensions are the same as with all the other pickups saying "R" or without suffix which are "R" spaced, too.

Burstbuckers are overwound on the slug side making for very unbalanced coils based on the slugs already having more metal than the screws.

Correct.

'57 Classics have equal winds for a slight unbalance due to the slug side's extra conductance,

The last word had to be "inductance", otherwise correct.

Not sure about the coils. As far as I know, they may be specified differently.

'61s have A5s and are overwound on the screw coil making for a very balanced pickup.

To my knowledge this should be correct.

'59 tributes have A2s and are overwound on the screw coil making for a very balanced pickup.

Meets my informations, too.

Matching my informations basically, but there also are '57 Pluses featuring four-conductor cables.

Hope this helps.

The 490T is "T" spaced like all the pickups with the "T" suffix. Coils should be parallel wound and thus balanced, creating a higher inductance of the slug coil. The wider pole piece spacing will match treble position. Magnet should be an AlNiCo 2.

The coil wire of all the "T"s is of lighter gauge since there is less space left for the windings. This causes both higher DC resistance and attenuation of resonance peak. The outer dimensions are the same as with all the other pickups saying "R" or without suffix which are "R" spaced, too.

Correct.

The last word had to be "inductance", otherwise correct.

Not sure about the coils. As far as I know, they may be specified differently.

To my knowledge this should be correct.

Meets my informations, too.

Matching my informations basically, but there also are '57 Pluses featuring four-conductor cables.

Hope this helps.

thanks, capmaster! So many flavors of PAFs!

Archived