Gibson Brands Forums

Best gibson for metal?

houndman55

Hey,

Which of the standard Gibson solid body models is best suited for metal? Metal in general and subgenres like black and death metal. And if I can't afford a Gibson one I can always look for a Epiphone counterpart. Features on a guitar that fits me are fixed bridges, passive pickups, good fret access and pleasing crunch and sustain.

For me it depends on the tone desired for the particular song.

The best guitars for the "scooped mids" tone of doom when chording and fat, singing lead sound are my Government Series II Explorer with Dirty Fingers, and my rather special limited run 2011 Les Paul Standard Quilt with Coração de Negro fretboard and BurstBuckers 1 & 2 stock. To my ears, Explorers featuring 496R and 500T will do it nicely.

When about achieving chords with screechy midrange and searing leads, my all-stock Les Paul Traditional 2013 does it best, close to - don't laugh - my all-stock American Deluxe Telecaster Ash with N3 Noiseless, and my 2011 L6Ses with 490R and 498T stock PUs.

Hope this helps.

... my all-stock American Deluxe Telecaster Ash with N3 Noiseless, and my 2011 L6Ses with 490R and 498T stock PUs.

Hello Capmaster!

[lol]

When I am in shredding mood, I either pick my '11 L6-S, or the FSR Tele. Seriously!

Wouldn't want "true" single coils for metal though, for hum as well as speaker/PU coil feedback.

... the FSR Tele's "Hot Alnico" pickups make it a real metal machine. But, yes, a premium noise supressor is mandatory for this genre.

Best wishes... Bence

Hello Capmaster!

[lol]

When I am in shredding mood, I either pick my '11 L6-S, or the FSR Tele. Seriously!

Well, I already knew that from you. When about the FSR Tele, I agree that in a "limited volume area" pure SCs will do. [thumbup]

... the FSR Tele's "Hot Alnico" pickups make it a real metal machine. But, yes, a premium noise supressor is mandatory for this genre.

Best wishes... Bence

I never liked SCs for metal at bandstand sound pressures. Too much interferences, too much coil feedback. I always had to turn down guitar tone and amp gain or volume controls, with P90s as well as Fender style SCs. As soon as the drums set in, the guitar is lost. Makes it easier for me as a vocalist though. [biggrin]

Les Paul was a jazz player who wanted the cleanest tone he could get. He developed low impedance pickups in pursuit of clean. Yet many players have played distorted rock with Les Pauls. Ted Nugent gets killer distorted tones out of a short scale jazz box named after Byrd and Garland.. Distortion comes from your amp, sometimes assisted by pedals.

Les Paul was a jazz player who wanted the cleanest tone he could get. He developed low impedance pickups in pursuit of clean. Yet many players have played distorted rock with Les Pauls...

Hello!

Les Pauls with low-impedance pickups first appeared to public in 1969 (a year after the reincarnation of the Les Paul guitar range). These Les Paul models were the only ones where the man Himself got deeply involved in the design.

Never heard anyone play distorted rock with these. (Probably, I am the only person to do that :D)

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

Les Pauls with low-impedance pickups first appeared to public in 1969 (a year after the reincarnation of the Les Paul guitar range). These Les Paul models were the only ones where the man Himself got deeply involved in the design.

Never heard anyone play distorted rock with these. (Probably, I am the only person to do that :D)

Cheers... Bence

Now I think I got you, Bence. If a Les Paul Recording is suitable for metal, any other electric guitar should be that, too, right? [rolleyes]

;)

Now I think I got you, Bence. If a Les Paul Recording is suitable for metal, any other electric guitar should be that, too, right? [rolleyes]

;)

Good morning, Capmaster!

You might think You got me, but - please - refer to my first post in this thread. ;)

Best wishes... Bence

Well, for black metal in it's truest form can be played by anything with massive distortion, even a Hello Kitty fender squier. Though, if you want a better sound quality for a bit more modern sound, you could try any solid body guitar and maybe change out the pickups with the Seymour Duncan Black Winters, those pickup were actually made specifically for the purpose of such genres, and described on their website as such "The Black Winter is as dark as the winters in Scandinavia with excessive grime and aggression; the right balance of mids, treble and bass to instantly take you from annihilating riffs to articulately cutting solos. The Black Winter fills the needs of extreme metal guitarists with a tone that provides crushing distortion, punishing mids and lots of aggressive saturation."

Hope that helps!

Archived