Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - SG Classic

blackdeuce

Ordered this guitar from a GC on the East coast. They had it listed for $699 with the original Gibson USA case. It has a few little scratches in the clear coat, but is pretty darn clean.

The back cover plate had some scratches, but I was able to find a new one on Amazon for cheap. They are sold out now.

Are these Classics basically an SG Standard with P90 pups? They don't have these listed on the Gibson website that I can find. They have a faded version that MF offered a few years ago.

20141106_135501_zps330a85b2.jpg

Good deal! The P90s sound nice in that model, too.

Thank you. I'm pretty happy with the deal. GC has a 30 day return policy and I could return it to the local store, but I'm keeping it!. [smile]

My son just found a great deal on a new Les Paul Traditional Pro II at the GC in Kansas City. He's bringing it home for me this weekend. It was priced at $1150. They are asking $1999 on their website. [smile]

... Are these Classics basically an SG Standard with P90 pups? ...

Actually, in the 60s/70s Gibson put out an SG Special with 90s and a bound fretboard - so I would say it's more like that 70s Special with a big pickguard.

You got a very nice SG there. Congrats.

60s/70's Special with 90s -

1964_SG_Special_1.jpg

Actually, in the 60s/70s Gibson put out an SG Special with 90s and a bound fretboard - so I would say it's more like that 70s Special with a big pickguard.

You got a very nice SG there. Congrats.

60s/70's Special with 90s -

1964_SG_Special_1.jpg

Interesting. Thanks for the information.

I'm digging the high gloss Cherry finish. Very nice.

Congrats on the new guitar. An SG Classic is my main guitar; it's my favorite of the SG line. Those P-90s sound killer, especially if you turn your amp up to that sweet spot. P-90s love volume and fuzz boxes.

In my not so humble opinion the Classic is the hidden gem of the Gibson line. They have all of the niceties of the higher end models (bound rosewood fretboard and full finish), but they commonly go for insanely low prices. I got my 2008 off of CraigsList for $500. No case since the previous owner got it used too so I coughed up another $90 for a Canada case from Elderly Instruments.

Might I suggest witch hat knobs? They'll improve your tone ;)

full.jpg

Nice SG!

Thank you.

Congrats on the new guitar. An SG Classic is my main guitar; it's my favorite of the SG line. Those P-90s sound killer, especially if you turn your amp up to that sweet spot. P-90s love volume and fuzz boxes.

In my not so humble opinion the Classic is the hidden gem of the Gibson line. They have all of the niceties of the higher end models (bound rosewood fretboard and full finish), but they commonly go for insanely low prices. I got my 2008 off of CraigsList for $500. No case since the previous owner got it used too so I coughed up another $90 for a Canada case from Elderly Instruments.

Might I suggest witch hat knobs? They'll improve your tone ;)

full.jpg

Thank you. My son had this pre-conceived notion that he didn't like P90s, but he's digging this guitar. :)

COOL!

I love my SG Classic too,, excellent combo.. light - easy on the shoulders, lots of fret access, and some wicked nasty from the P90s! [thumbup]

Thank you.

That's not even funny. Knobs with a nice grip improve control over controls and therefore - tone! [biggrin] Might work for volume, too. [lol]

We'll have to do a study on that. LOL.

That's not even funny. Knobs with a nice grip improve control over controls and therefore - tone! [biggrin] Might work for volume, too. [lol]

We'll have to do a study on that. LOL.

This study would have to include if and how matching functions and knob inscriptions will affect performance. [rolleyes]

;)

Sorry, Blackdeuce, rereading the topic I just found out I missed to congratulate you on her up to now. [blush]

Congrats, BD, nice guitar. I love those red SGs, and yours is a dearly pretty one. [wub]

Thank you. It has a few little scratches in the clear coat, but it is pretty and sounds great.

Mine is a 2009 vintage, so it's fairly clean for being 5 years old.

Archived