Gibson Brands Forums

changed all strings and action dropped

jokrasa

Greetings everyone!

Has anyone experienced this weird occurrence? I changed all the strings and found the action ( fret height ) dropped down too low.

I checked the neck and it's still straight ( beautiful ) however for some strange reason the strings are way too low, holds one pick at 12th fret instead of the usual 2 picks ( 2/32 ).

the only solution I could come up with was to turn the screws to raise the bridge saddle.

What gives?? Bizarre...

If it's too close you get the strings slapping and a spanking sound instead of a nice tone. It wasn't buzzing cause the neck's straight, not bowed .

Anyway... that's what happened... took all the strings off to clean fretboard etc and the action went out on me.. anyone have the same happen to them?

Just curious.....

Had once the same problem, it's easy to alter thumbweels height during a string change, especialy when you take of all the strings. One at the time would work better. But i have this issue no more since i installed my Tonepros bridge and tailpiece. No i don't even need to intonate after a string change, everything stays where it belongs.

Interesting replies folks...

I didn't change strings ( brand or guage ) and the wheels don't spin easily by themselves. There's really no easy explanation however I'm not a luthier.

If I change one string at a time I can't clean/polish the fretboard but maybe that's something I'll do less often.

I had to raise the bridge saddle ( spin those wheels ) quite a bit to get my desired 2 pick ( 2/32 ) height at the base E. The neck is nice and straight so I guess

I'm not too worried about it.

It's a 61 issue SG that I had completely refretted and setup by a Luthier, so I don't want to mess with the truss rod on this baby.

I have adjusted the truss, tremolo etc on a nice Ibanez guitar I have to great success so the SG baffles me that the setup would get altered by changing all strings at once.

Thought maybe I flipped the bridge but i verified without a doubt that ain't so... the intonation is still correct and the grooves match up with the heavy string to light.

Weird...

Give it a day....the string tension may eventually pull the neck back to where it was before.

I recently bought a guitar, used, and immediately pulled all the strings off to give it a good cleaning (it was filthy with oxidized pup covers, bridge, etc)...and when I restrung it, the action was so low that it buzzed badly everywhere. Gave it a while to settle and now it's fine. It was a LP with a 60's neck, ebony fretboard. I think thinner necked guitars are more susceptible to this...like some SGs.Mine seems to be more sensitive to temp and humidity.

Archived