Gibson Brands Forums

A Gibson Les Paul Classic from 1998

atkinsg

Just picked up a Gibson Les Paul classic with the serial number staring with 8

this one is a nice amber , extremely clean but the pickup rings are black, knobs are gold.

This has never had a pick guard( no holes)

Back then were these guitars sold with the pickguard not installed so people could choose?

I have never seen a classic that does not have the cream color pickup rings and switch ring

were all classics back then all cream? some one change these?

trying to decide if I changing it back to what I think is the stock look or leaving it? whay do you guys think?

First-off AFAIK the '1960 Classic' series was introduced in 1989.

Does your guitar have a three- or four-digit serial number after the 8? If it's 8-XXXX then it's a 1998 model (all 1989 Classics are 9-XXX as fewer than 1000 were made).

It's possible, I suppose, that a few were made in late '88 and might have an '8' serial number but I'd be very surprised indeed if this is the case.

Again, AFAIK all Classics came with cream rings.

The lack of a 'guard as an original fitment might be because the guitar has a Premium-Plus top. Has it?

If so then this would also suggest the later build-date and for two distinct reasons.

Pictures would help enormously.

Back of peghead; front of peghead; binding in cutaway; inlays.

P.

This has never had a pick guard( no holes)

Beware of ever putting a PG on her! [-X

;)

Seriously, I never liked this useless POS on LPs although one of mine sadly came with PG stock. :( I always have to close my eyes and just listen to her without looking. I never touch the PG during playing, so I don't feel it's there. B)

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, that serial is consistent with a 1998 build-date but if you pull the p'ups there might be a date stamp under one of them.

Odd guitar, though, in a few ways. Nothing dodgy; but odd nonetheless.

It has the 1960 Classic style of ink-stamp (unique to that model), sharp-end Trap inlays and the ABR-1 so that all fits.

Without access to more details I'm just guessing...

I've not seen a Trans-Amber 1960 Classic without a pre-fitted guard and with a plain top (is it a 3-piece?) before.

It's impossible for me to say whether the plastics are the originals. I'd guess that they aren't but it would only be a guess.

The p'ups on those period 1960 Classics were, as yours are, 'Double-Blacks'. My guess is that a previous owner swapped-out the rest of the plastics to match the p'ups.

Does it say Les Paul MODEL or Les Paul CLASSIC on the peghead?

Does it have the wide binding or the narrow binding in the cutaway?

Does it have anything on the bottom of the p'up cavities?

I, for one, would like to know more!

P.

yup, 3 piece top

Headstock says classic.

Attached is the pics of the cutaway.

I will be taking out the pickups when the new cream plastics arrive so I will take pics then, soon hopefully.

Not sure if I will leave it black or go cream yet.

SDC10972_zps21148c69.jpg

SDC10970_zps043c582f.jpg

SDC10971_zps056f2daf.jpg

Thanks for taking the trouble to get/post pictures of the cutaway and script.

Both of these help to confirm the '98 build-date (before around '95 the cutaway had narrow binding and the silkscreen read Les Paul MODEL).

As to your questions as to what we forumites think of leaving as-is or returning to 'Stock' (probably!).....

If I were the chap lucky enough to have to the make the decision I'd replace all the black with cream and pop a pair of covers on the p'ups as I'm not a great fan of the bare-bobbin look.

If the p'ups are the original ceramics then I've read that a certain amount of care has to be adopted if the use of a soldering iron is envisaged.

FWIW I've put a pair of covers on one of my own 1960 Classics without using solder with no apparent trouble; they simply stay where they were put!

All due respect to cap's views I'd also put a 'guard on her but then I do use the guard as a finger-rest / anchor-point whilst playing

I'd swap-out the 'Classic' TRC for a plain version but I'd keep the original in the case.

I'd also possibly treat the 'board to something to darken it down a bit; it's a bit light in colour for my tastes but I happen to prefer really dark 'boards.

The end-result of all that palaver would be, IMO, a very fine looking guitar indeed.

P.

yup, 3 piece top

Headstock says classic.

Attached is the pics of the cutaway.

I will be taking out the pickups when the new cream plastics arrive so I will take pics then, soon hopefully.

Not sure if I will leave it black or go cream yet.

SDC10972_zps21148c69.jpg

SDC10970_zps043c582f.jpg

SDC10971_zps056f2daf.jpg

The more I listen to Pippy the more I remember the early Classics. Really cool LPs, The Black kinda reminds me of Joe Bonamassa with the combination and was probably added. What I like about them is the ABR-1 and Nickle. Its a good solid platform especially for the 60 neck profile lovers. I've seen a few 3-piece tops from the 80s also. That said I always really liked the 500T in the all mahogany Gibsons like the V and SG. They were known for the green inlays also, the early models I believe yours was before the green became more pronounced. Many preferred them to the Standards back then as if I remember the Standards used Grovers and possibly chrome and a Nashville then. Couple years did back then for sure which added to the 60-Classic following. The bushings are pressed in on the TMs also and all nickle.

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=CUGIbx2piVIuTMbGksAeQlYH4CO69-q0F1vKe67MB5o2YyZsCCAYQBigGYMn-nofQo9gPoAGi44ncA8gBB6oEJk_QhH8DqwCvMTY9U8eSH0bkEeTUOsKAFyiwt31hCEEoKJsu__FowAUFoAYmgAfGnPYjiAcBkAcCqAemvhvgEuS-0NX58p_OpAE&sig=AOD64_0jghNgEmrxHAXlHrSpvSor--mLRA&ctype=5&rct=j&q=&ved=0CJ0BEPQO&adurl=https://reverb.com/item/147095-gibson-custom-shop-joe-bonamassa-ltd-left-handed-les-paul-vos-goldtop%3F_aid%3Dpla%26pla%3D1

Cool LP for sure. A set of Duncan Antiquities or the Gibson 2013-2014 Tradition electronics with Nickle covers would be "killer" with your LP. Depends what you like. Thats what I would do. [drool]

My opinion...

Besides... Wow! Nice axe!

Yeah, go to creme with chrome pup covers. I'm one of those that prefers the PG on Les Pauls. Though, no way would I drill into that. I don't think they're really necessary on a LP, the way they're arched and how high the strings sit off the body... I just associate them with "the look". Personal preference. But value and proper aesthetics (she was made without)... I wouldn't do it.

I'm one of those that prefers the PG on Les Pauls..... I don't think they're really necessary on a LP, the way they're arched and how high the strings sit off the body...

I hope you don't mind the contraction of your post but I have to say that I find that a very interesting approach, G-K.

For 24 years my #1 guitar was a Strat and it is because I was so used to the geometry - the closeness of strings-to-'guard/deck - of the Strat that my right-hand technique now requires a similar closeness with the LP.

I tried a 'guardless LP and my wrist cramped up after about 15 mins.

I love the look of some LP's with the 'guard off and some with the 'guard on but when it comes to playing I've found that it just has to be 'on' for me.

...A set of Duncan Antiquities or the Gibson 2013-2014 Tradition electronics with Nickle covers would be "killer" with your LP. Depends what you like. Thats what I would do...

If the ceramics are too lairy for the OP then I'd like to second your suggestion of the SD Antiquities if a more PAF-like tone is the target.

My '95 Classic already had a matched set of nickel covered 'Antiquities' fitted by the time I acquired her and she is probably the most 'vintage-sounding' Paul I own.

Cue gratuitous snaps?...sorry to all the regulars who have seen these a thousand times before but I just feel like seeing them again!......lol!

'95 with Les Paul CLASSIC script and wide binding. SD Antiquities fitted by previous owner;

HoneyPortraitFramedlo-res_zpsec6b3780.jpg

And just for the Hell of it, the '91. Unbelievably bought as unsold NOS in around 2007. Nickel covers popped-on without fuss or solder. Ceramic p'ups are a scream;

TreaclePortraitFramedlo-res_zps4b6e9240.jpg

P.

I hope you don't mind the contraction of your post but I have to say that I find that a very interesting approach, G-K.

For 24 years my #1 guitar was a Strat and it is because I was so used to the geometry - the closeness of strings-to-'guard/deck - of the Strat that my right-hand technique now requires a similar closeness with the LP.

I tried a 'guardless LP and my wrist cramped up after about 15 mins.

I love the look of some LP's with the 'guard off and some with the 'guard on but when it comes to playing I've found that it just has to be 'on' for me.

You know, I've never played a LP without PG, for a long enough period, to know. My Kramer is a strat body style, which is what I'm used to. Now I need to find out. Should have bought that LPJ, haha...

Someday.

You know, I've never played a LP without PG, for a long enough period, to know.............Should have bought that LPJ.......

...or simply whip the p'g off your (very sweet) LP S-Pro for a short time....

But, yes; you should have bought the LPJ in any case....lol!

[thumbup]

P.

SDC11018_zpsda1b206f.jpg

my setup

1998 Gibson Les Paul Classic Trans Amber (just back to stock)

Later model (no over heating) Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401 Duel Super Lead With vintage 30

1991 Fender Stratocaster Plus Deluxe

1973 Fender Vibrosonic Reverb (just restored, new caps, Speaker, grill)

this setup covers it all ...for me anyway

I was looking in my Crystal Ball and I see Nickle Covers for those pups in the future. [biggrin]

Did your crystal ball tell you how to mount them? I'd prefer pickups without covers over putting them on solderless. A metal cover without a safe electrical connection to the pickup base might cause hum.

Other than the 496R, the 500T has three magnets like the Dirty Fingers PUs, and soldering temperatures will affect them. Lead-free RoHS solder makes it all hotter and therefore worse.

There's a Gibson model with a covered 496T stock, the Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess, but none comes with a covered 500T.

Archived