Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Fan Saying Hello

mdutr0

Hello all,

I have posted on the Gibson Acoustic sub-forum but I don't think I have ever posted anything on this board before.

I like Epiphone acoustic guitars quite a bit. I currently own an AJ-220S that I really like and I have an old FT-130 Caballero that badly needs a neck reset. Anyone have any luck with that? I've read that some of the MIJ Epiphones from that era can develop some strange neck block problem.

Just wanted to say hello!

Epi guitars tend to be looked down on by many Gibson and Martin players, but IMHO are some of the best-kept secrets in terms of playing far above their price points.

As for a neck reset on an old Epi... I think it depends on how much you personally value a given instrument. A really good neck reset regardless of the wood/design/brand of guitar isn't all that simple, and could cost as much or more than a relative replacement of the instrument.

I've joked that I'd like to buy another PR5e and another EL00, have a luthier take the 24 3/4 scale neck offa the EL and put it on the PR5e that comes with a 25 1/2 inch scale. In effect, I'd end up with about a $1,000-$1,200 price tag on a $300 all-laminate PR5e. Is that worth it? Probably not, which is why I ain't done it.

Yet... even with the longer scale, the PR5e works marvelously with 9-42 strings fingerpicking in any venue, and the EL00 Pro ain't bad, but mine is not as physically comfortable for me to play.

Not sure if that answers your question - but may offer insight into how one Epi owner looks at his instruments.

m

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I like Epiphone acoustic guitars quite a bit. I currently own an AJ-220S that I really like and I have an old FT-130 Caballero that badly needs a neck reset. Anyone have any luck with that? I've read that some of the MIJ Epiphones from that era can develop some strange neck block problem.

Just wanted to say hello!

Repairing a Norlin era FT guitar with a broken neck <<< CLICK HERE

Yer Welcome.

And Hello!

Oh, and pi'chers. We likes pi'chers! [woot]

Archived