Gibson Brands Forums

Question about Les Paul Custom BB

Gibbyex

Hi everyone. I've maybe got a stupid question, but I have to ask it. I've seen a LP Custom Blackbeauty on Ebay and I'm very interested into it. But before I join the auction, I have to make clear if that guitar is a real or fake one, just for security. The seller said that he has bought it in 1996. Optically the guitar looks consistent to an original but my main doubt is the Serial nr. The SN is "2 0035". I don't really understand this number and is it normal that there isn't a "made in USA" on the headstock's back? There are 2 days left until the auction ends.

I'm a beginning LP Player and I would appreciate your professional help!

Thanks to you all!

The guitar looks clearly legit to me. Being a Custom Shop model, there will be no embossements on the headstock's back, neither numbering nor Made in U.S.A.

I'm not sure about serial number decoding. Basically, the 2 would mean it's a reissue of the 1972 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty, the following 0 would say 1990, followed by production number 035 for that year. Just a guess though.

Hi thank you very much! But the owner said that he has lost his COA. It that a big deal then? Besides he has contacted Gibson and was told that his guitar is a 57Reissue made in 1992. What do you think?

Thanks again^^

The guitar looks clearly legit to me. Being a Custom Shop model, there will be no embossements on the headstock's back, neither numbering nor Made in U.S.A.

I'm not sure about serial number decoding. Basically, the 2 would mean it's a reissue of the 1972 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty, the following 0 would say 1990, followed by production number 035 for that year. Just a guess though.

[blush] Sorry for being too late to be helpful for this auction, I obviously lost sight of the topic.

I stand corrected. The informations of the owner match the results of my research.

A missing COA is not a big problem but will reduce value a bit I think. The auction price seems reasonable to me.

Archived