Gibson Brands Forums

Bought Gibson Classic a week ago... Is that it?

mikkqu

Hello guys,

I managed to buy my first real electric guitar (could not wait anymore), my eyes fell on unidentified Gibson Classic (as pointed by seller).

But now I got some concerns on its origin...

Could you please help me to get any information on this?

Here are some photos (hope dropbox link is OK for this forum).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/526xbfpowe6mdu8/AABtd_NWkh0NETq5GX-1S_hfa?dl=0

First two digits should say that it was made at 2006, right?

Are other digits carry any information as well?

And I'm worrying why there is no "CLASSIC" sign on the (namespate, nameshield?) at the headstock.

Is it possible that this guitar was intentionally modified to look like original gibson?

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you in advance!

Beautiful guitar, mate! [love] Congrats on your purchase. [thumbup]

Your assumption regarding year of build is correct in my opinion.

Saying "Les Paul CLASSIC" silkscreened, coming with a blank truss rod cover is normal I think. By the way, next to all of mine are, I love blank ones. [biggrin]

LP Classics with the "Les Paul MODEL" silkscreen usually come with TRCs saying "Classic".

Hope this helps. Enjoy her, Mike! :)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes; 06 indicates 2006 manufacture.

The four digits after the 06 merely tell us the individual number in the series.

The original TRC would have had a 'Classic' script in gold and the p'guard likewise would have had a gilt-filled '1960 Classic' hot-stamp.

There's no reason to suspect duplicity of purpose. As it has 'Les Paul CLASSIC' on the peghead it could hardly be passed-off as being anything else.

More likely a previous owner simply preferred the blank-look and swapped-out the original parts.

It's a common occurrence. I have a pair of 1960 Classics and of the 4 marked parts (2 TRC; 2 p'g) only one original remains in situ. The rest are plain substitutes.

Nice guitar. Have fun with it!

P.

Archived