Gibson Brands Forums

EL-00 Pro

Cougar

Well, I just ordered an EL-00 Pro from Musician's Friend. With the Epiphone case. They made it pretty easy, especially with their 15% off Veteran's Day Sale. I had to 'chat' with some guy at first, asking for the discount on both items, which their website didn't give me automatically, but then the guy gave me a call, and yes, 15% off both! I love a good deal! I hope I get a good one! eusa_pray.gif Probably get it around Thursday....

Well, I just ordered an EL-00 Pro from Musician's Friend. With the Epiphone case. They made it pretty easy, especially with their 15% off Veteran's Day Sale. I had to 'chat' with some guy at first, asking for the discount on both items, which their website didn't give me automatically, but then the guy gave me a call, and yes, 15% off both! I love a good deal! I hope I get a good one! eusa_pray.gif Probably get it around Thursday....

pics and your opinion forthcoming I hope and congrats

Will do. Anybody with experience with one?

Yes. Earlier this year, I played three, essentially side by side, then played another about a week later. Of the four, one was clearly stellar in tone. The other three had a similar voice, but sounded somewhat constricted & boxy.

Of course, I purchased the good one & consider it to be an amazingly good guitar at it's price point.

Hopefully you'll get a nice one, as this model definitely has potential.

I've got one.

Nice little guitar. Sounds good, plays well although the past six months haven't been ideal for pickin' due to an increasingly busy work schedule. Haven't put on my favorite strings yet, but that's coming.

Not as comfortable for me as the Epi PR5e except for the shorter scale/neck. OTOH, I think some of that leads me to almost feel that the EL00 is designed as much to strum as to fingerpick and the PR5e to fingerpick and single-string flatpick. That's likely just an oddity of my perception of the two.

Very well worth the money and very well worth ensuring its longevity with a hardshell case.

It's not a dread, however, and IMHO shouldn't be played like one. I almost think of it as a light to medium attack guitar, the PR5e as an example of a light attack guitar (along with electric archtops) and the dreads as perhaps best designed for a heavier attack. But again, that's a personal perception.

m

Probably get it around Thursday....

Update. I just checked tracking. Today (Monday) it finally got delivered to UPS (step 1), and.... it's out for delivery tomorrow, Tuesday! MusiciansFriend apparently lives nearby. [cool]

I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it.

It's no dread, but played for what it is, it's a reeeeeally nice little guitar.

I almost think that the term "intimate" fits. It's easy to hold and carry. It's not a big box you can - or should - bash with a heavy hand with a pick, although some folks have.

Personally, I don't really think of it as a parlor guitar as much as an old time country saloon guitar - for either a black or white audience in the southeast or in cowboy or mining country to the west.

Then again... perhaps that's just me - a guy whose wife sez he should ensure he tells people what century he's talking from since I'm fairly comfortable with the 19th and 20th as well as 21st. (I love doing 1860-1880 living history stuff and staying "in persona.")

m

I've had my EL Pro for 6 months now and am finding it has opened up considerably since I first got it. Keeps playing and sounding better and better. On mine I swapped out its original saddle for a bone saddle that was slightly higher to slightly raise the action to fit my fingerpick style playing and increase volume when needed. I keep liking the feel and sound of this guitar more and more...and, keep playing it more and more. I use Martin SP Bronze 12s or 12.5s on mine (actually 12.5s but as I have broken strings on it, I've grabbed more readily available 12s to replace them. Bronze 12.5s are not that easy to find so I'm saving them for when I replace all the strings

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

Like a surgeon with my exacto knife, I unpacked three big guitar boxes, which had big guitar boxes inside them, scalpeling carefully down to the heart of the package. One, the EL-00 Pro; two, its nice Epi case; three, a cheap new hsc for the Zenith (barely fits - that baby's big-hipped). Apparently I'm going to have to go into business selling big guitar boxes...

It's not even a 2014! Which may be a good thing, since it's a really nice 2013. I'm totally pleased. Nice matched 2-piece top, no flaws, neck reasonably straight. As mentioned, I can see how a new nut and saddle would help its acoustic tone. What do they come with, 12s? The pickup system seems fine - I didn't really put her through too many paces. The Epi case is great too. All in all, a steal for what they're selling these for.

elo194.jpg

elo185.jpg

elo184.jpg

elo196.jpg

Congratulations Cougar! They don't come much more perfect looking than that! Beautiful book matched top and stunning burst finish to boot! I often like when a guitar is a year old when it comes. They say if a guitar is going to warp or be bad it will happen within a year...so a 2013 model that looks like this one does is perfectly fine...and yes, may be even better than a 2014 model. I hope it is all that you want it to be! I swear your great pictures give me GAS for one of these! Epi is now installing much beter saddles than they used to...some are Nubone, a derivative of Tusq made by graphtech and sounds just like it. Tusq is now on almost all Gibsons. with unique tonal properties..or it could even already be bone! Either way it will sound great! ...GL

Epi is now installing much beter saddles than they used to...some are Nubone, a derivative of Tusq made by graphtech and sounds just like it.

Well, you made me go look that up, as if I hadn't already checked out Epi's EL-00 Pro page 10 or 20 times prior to pulling the trigger. You're right - they call it "imitation bone," which I expect is quite a bit better than "cheap plastic." They don't specify the nut material. In any case, I think I got a good one!

Well, you made me go look that up, as if I hadn't already checked out Epi's EL-00 Pro page 10 or 20 times prior to pulling the trigger. You're right - they call it "imitation bone," which I expect is quite a bit better than "cheap plastic." They don't specify the nut material. In any case, I think I got a good one!

Yes Nubone is often referred to as "imitation bone" ..it even looks like bone, particularly when you shine a bright flashlight through it. And it is often ground to fit just like bone it. And it comes in compensated saddles version as well. It is much better than the old plastics previously used, and supposedly has very similar tone properties to tusq. It is often used for acoustic electric pick ups for supposedly better sounding amplification.

Both Nubone and tusq are made by the same company. Nubone is generally sold only in ten packs to manufacturers at a cheaper price...giving a much better tone and a mush lesser lesser cost.

As a side note my 2013 Gibson Hummingbird (acoustic electric) came standard with a tusq saddle....I changed it to bone thinking it would be an improvement...for me, it was not. I much preferred the factory tusq saddle for tonal qualities, particularly for amp work, but also for acoustic tone...the tone was sweeter and cleaner and clearer than the bone saddle which I bought from Colossi. So I returned the tusq saddle and love the original sound...so you may want to consider this before installing a bone saddle...as it will change the tone to something thicker in tone and slightly less cleaner and sweeter.

Even Colossi admitted to me by phone that the nut material makes little to zero difference in tone. It is the saddle which makes most of the difference in tonal properties. Depending on your ears..one will be better than than the other. Good luck! Here is a link to learn about Nubone made by Graphtech. http://graphtech.com.../faq/nubone-faq

...so you may want to consider this before installing a bone saddle...

Thanks for the research - and experience. Sounds like a good reason not to touch the saddle, at least for a while. It is compensated.

Just bringing the guitar up to tune, I could feel/hear the body start to resonate when the strings were brought into tune with each other. It's not going to sound like a Masterbilt, and it shouldn't be expected to. Still, it's got its own sound, and it sounds good plugged in - not so tinny as typical old piezo systems. I've got to get some more play time on it.

Oh, and the laminated mahogany back? Forgot to get a photo of that. Not bookmatched, but really nice grain showing, which I guess should be expected with a laminate. And I was very pleased at how easily the "E" came off the pickguard. :)

Same case here. Yup, it's nice - although I paid "regular" street price for mine after driving to get one.

It's definitely not a dread... and IMHO requires a different technique to get the most out of it in comparison. But it's a doggone nice little box.

Then again, a small-body Gibson or Martin ditto. They're not D28s or J45s or big-body Masterbuilts.

m

BTW, and I think there have been others with the instrument replying the same way - the volume control works quite well but it seems the tone control doesn't have that much range to it - but that's obviously not all that big a deal.

m

I use my Fishman Humbucker Soundhole pickup on mine although the factory piezo is still in the guitar. The piezo doesn't gel with my fingerpickin' style and resting my hand on the saddle to dampen the sound at times. The piezo remains as a backup pickup in case the Fishman Humbucker's battery dies during a gig.

At home I only play scoustic.

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

• 5 months later...

Like a surgeon with my exacto knife, I unpacked three big guitar boxes, which had big guitar boxes inside them, scalpeling carefully down to the heart of the package. One, the EL-00 Pro; two, its nice Epi case; three, a cheap new hsc for the Zenith (barely fits - that baby's big-hipped). Apparently I'm going to have to go into business selling big guitar boxes...

It's not even a 2014! Which may be a good thing, since it's a really nice 2013. I'm totally pleased. Nice matched 2-piece top, no flaws, neck reasonably straight. As mentioned, I can see how a new nut and saddle would help its acoustic tone. What do they come with, 12s? The pickup system seems fine - I didn't really put her through too many paces. The Epi case is great too. All in all, a steal for what they're selling these for.

elo194.jpg

elo185.jpg

elo184.jpg

elo196.jpg

I remember you wanting one of these back when I got mine on Sept 19 2014 and no one had them and then the cases were on back order. Mine is also a 2013 model year in fact it was made in Sept 2013 so it was a year old when I got it . I finally the case, finally arrived on Oct 24th so I dealt with the box for over a month. I've been very pleased with mine , I keep it humidified since we get these very dry spells here. So far it's not changed a bit other than opened up a bit but the action has not changed . Congrats on getting yours about 2 months after I got mine.

• 1 month later...

Just joined the forum and saw this post. Its an older post but thought I'd comment. I have the EL-00 and love it. Mine was once a right handed that has been professionally converted to lefty. After some research I discovered that none were ever made lefty. Love the sound, feel, and the fact that its inexpensive. I am however chasing a trade for a Gibson Blues King. Thought I'd maybe give it a try.

Just joined the forum and saw this post. Its an older post but thought I'd comment. I have the EL-00 and love it.... Love the sound, feel, and the fact that its inexpensive.

Hey, welcome to the board. Yeah, my EL-00 still gets played, even among a family of Masterbilts. It's just a super guitar at a ridiculously low price.

I am however chasing a trade for a Gibson Blues King. Thought I'd maybe give it a try.

That would be very cool. Hope it works out.

Archived