Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson price increase

houndman55

I have to agree with Donny re the "Gibson quality issues", on certain forums it seems to be "the in thing" to talk about poor Gibson quality. The only Gibson quality issue that I've ever seen is a slight flat spot on the top of a Les Paul Studio Tribute Goldtop, the rest of the guitar was fantastic, so much so that I still bought it. Every other Gibson that I've seen, the build quality has been flawless.

The most vocal Gibson knockers seem to be Martin owners, I think that's a bit rich comparing the companies, when one makes guitars from the same materials that kitchen worktops are made from!

Ian

Oh I have seen a couple which should have never left the factory in the last two decades. But your right the issue is always other USA company comparison. That said I lived next to Hamer for years. Now for sure Hamer does a better QC inspection with binding. Rub your finger over the binding of a bound Hamer and then on a LP? Tell me what happens, I already know.

But your right the QC is a comparison issue and by large really not a problem.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find this hard to believe. Gibson has sent me 4 Les Pauls new in the box the last 4 years and sight unseen not one was a problem. Everyone right out of the box was perfect. Played perfect sounded perfect and looked perfect. So it seems a bit odd to me that your brother got 5 in a row that were defective. Im sorry Im just not buying that at all, maybe he was to picky? Maybe the truth is being stretched here I dont know but I cant believe 5 in a row were no good.

I also find this hard to believe. I purchased 2 the in last 2 years 2013 Traditional/ 2014 Standard. Not only are they both are tone monsters, they are absolutely beautiful. They were easy to set up, intonation/ tune ability are top notch! These guitars are bar none high quality! To hear this guy say 5 bad guitars in a row sounds a bit fishy to me! I'll bet he wouldn't think that if he had a chance to play mine.

I think it's only fair to suggest that the guitar shown probably HAS got a perfectly book-matched top.

Having photographed quite a few of these myself I can say that the figure on many 'flame-tops' only really comes alive when the light comes from one particular direction.

If the guitar here remained in the same place and the lighting-direction was reversed then it would be the opposite side which appeared to have the figure.

It is precisely because of this phenomenon that in Yas Iwanade's book "The Beauty of the 'Burst" there is always what is called the " 'Burst View " to accompany the main shot.

P.

Right, probably looks completely different at a slightly different angle. [top figuring]

Agree completely. Just want to add some more thoughts here.

When comparing figuring of a veneer top, a flat top, and a carved top, there have to be significant differences.

- The veneer is sliced with next to no cutting loss, so the mirrored areas are close as can be. When glued to a carved top, it is just bent.

- A massive flat top will show differences due to more cutting loss when sawn apart.

- Finally, a bookmatched carved top can't be mirrored exactly on principal since lots of wood were shaved down for achieving curvature. Their individual appearance is part of the fun in my humble opinion.

Agree completely. Just want to add some more thoughts here.

When comparing figuring of a veneer top, a flat top, and a carved top, there have to be significant differences.

- The veneer is sliced with next to no cutting loss, so the mirrored areas are close as can be. When glued to a carved top, it is just bent.

- A massive flat top will show differences due to more cutting loss when sawn apart.

- Finally, a bookmatched carved top can't be mirrored exactly on principal since lots of wood were shaved down for achieving curvature. Their individual appearance is part of the fun in my humble opinion.

And not all of us are looking for the same type of figuring and it for sure varies.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCQQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lespaulforum.com%2Fslubarticle%2Fmaple%2Ffigure.html&ei=O01iVMblJcK2yAT734G4CQ&usg=AFQjCNHNSEHlEF-Pb7ypwb9aIEvhSUJqRw&sig2=f0frHC042z8-0hAeJOU8Fw

But your right.

I have unpacked 4 now bought 6 off the wall new and owned 7 other used ones in my 40 years of playing. I only had an acoustic preamp go out on a EC Deluxe. Mailed it back to Gibson and they fixed it.

You know what it is, some guys will return a Gibson for a file mark on the binding near the nibs. I know you've seen it, in fact I traded my Tele for a Traditional Wine Red 2014 straight up which is all that was bothering the original owner and he didn't like the original pups, extra weight, and the guiter is under 9lbs. Hey, I told him I thought he was nuts and if he changed his mind bring the Tele back within a week. Never heard from him and I believe it was buyers remorse.

The comparison thing, whats often forgotten is the unreal number of guitars Gibson builds on the production line. A 1000 limited edition order is about as small as they go. Others usually go no higher than 50-100 when we start talking Hamer or Collins etc. And when you come right down to it most of us are looking for good playing and sounding electrics, so a binding file mark opposed to a great playing guitar is really anal if you ask me. Hey, to each their own.

Like I was saying I seen two. One was a LP with TM guides pressed in at an angle and forced, the other a DC-LP where the string path was off due to a slight anchor misplacement.

Yeah you can't expect hand crafted guitars to look like imports. There will always be a bad one on an assembly line type of deal as well. I have seen wayore ports like mexican fenders and dean Koreans that were trashed.

I noticed all of us older Gibson consumers are unhappy about the changes in the production line for 2015. I myself was even referring to it as junk garbage etc. I have owned the robo tuner for a moment and the battery powered booster as well. I removed them because I just didn't want those things in my guitars. I do have to admit the tuner worked pretty spiffy and the booster sounded good. I just don't want either on my guitar. I want the same Les Paul I have played for over 30 years now. I'm sure the guitars are top notch as ever.

The thing that's different for me now is I used to be able to let go of a Les Paul easy because I knew I could get another just like it. This is no longer the case so I will hold on to mine a lot tighter.

Right, 2015 caused most to do the same, it will be interesting to see the pricing from black friday through the new year. I think many of the pre-15 Gibsons will stabilize in price and go up slightly till 16 comes around.

Right, 2015 caused most to do the same, it will be interesting to see the pricing from black friday through the new year. I think many of the pre-15 Gibsons will stabilize in price and go up slightly till 16 comes around.

Seems likely to me also. As an example, since most buyers want ebony, not Richlite, LP Customs featuring it are sought after and thus realize high prices on the used guitar market.

Sounds the same?

I own two Les Paul Custom, one with Richlite and one with Ebony. The play feel is similar and you can not tell the difference. Sound wise, they both sound fantastic, though they have different pickups.i guess I am more interested in how Richlite ages, so maybe we need to discuss this material in say ten years? Gibson states that Richlite will also wear like Ebony. For now they are similar enough to be a non issue.

Remember when Obama wanted Gibson to relocate to Madagascar during the wood raid that produced the Government series?

yes i do.(Althoug off topic)This was the "baked maple era" when the feds stole all their rosewood and claimed they were buying it from dodgy sources(after the fact).Obama and his gang have a number of times used wildlife agency's to steal landowners land or rezone it,and then sell it to their buddies(china & others) five years down the road for pennies on the pound- so has the UN.That is what they do."Steal,Rezone,sell cheap to buddies"

That whole episode was thug like.oh, and the "you don't give my opponent money,ya hear me boy!"

I'm glad Gibson got through it.I believe the modern guitars they are making are fantastic.I've never had a problem and I'm not spring chicken.I've seen/owned and heard a few in my time.

Maybe i will when i have a problem myself...come to think of it-I've never known anyone to have a problem with a Gibson either.That poster who had five must have got a very,very bad batch.

From what i've read Fender and PRS were getting their rosewood from the same place??

There's a Richlite fretboard on my SG Supra. It feels as close as can be to the ebony fretboard of my Ibanez Artist made in China. No problems with fretting or bending.

I thought the Richlite was fine. I noticed it seemed fast and took a bit of adjusting to it. I was sliding past a note here and there. I played a few of the Midtowns and thought they were a solid cost effective alternative though. I have heard a lot of complaints about that and the maple, but none about eithers tone. What all this comes down to is players expectations of Gibson's designs. And for sure its subjective.

I generally purchase a new electric guitar every year three of which have been gibson however with such price rises i may be pushed to buy a prs. Peach guitars uk advertising new custom 22/24 for two grand. Its hard to believe a aaa standard will top the price of a white falcon

I was talking to a sales person the other day and their take on the price hike is that it's to move the remaining unsold 2013 and 2014 models. Scare everyone with the 2015 price increases, unload the older units and then they can adjust the 2015 prices downwards.

Of course, they're still going to be left with the 2015 "improvements" to contend with unless they do a mid-year course correction.

Oh well, not my problem.

I have a 2014 Custom with the Richlite board and it plays fine and has no effect on tone that I can hear.

I had played the 2012 in the store several times and liked it so I was leery on resale but I wasn't about playability.

I bought new mainly for the warranty and lack of any used in my area.

I don't intend to sell it ever but if I have to I am expecting some reluctance from the buyers due to the Richlite.

I was talking to a sales person the other day and their take on the price hike is that it's to move the remaining unsold 2013 and 2014 models. Scare everyone with the 2015 price increases, unload the older units and then they can adjust the 2015 prices downwards.

Of course, they're still going to be left with the 2015 "improvements" to contend with unless they do a mid-year course correction.

Oh well, not my problem.

Thats why I suggested earlier that Black Friday through the first few months of the new year will tell the true story. Steve thats why I said for me its all about "last years" model. There are still 2013 models here and on-line. For me its not about being in line when the new Cadillac is released yearly. Its about seeing what those "new" one year old models are selling for. Good point Steve.

Why else would they announce that they're going to jack prices up 29%?

If you look at the thread in the Lounge under the 5 new models introduced you'll see that the necks are like the were in 2014, no G-Force tuning doohickeys, no Les Paul scribble/hologram so MAYBE once the 2013s and 2014s are all gone they'll sh*t can the current lot and come out with a "normal" 2015 line up and hope to right the sinking ship.

They lost me as a customer quite some time back, I'm afraid. I can't tell you how disappointed I am in that new Firebird VII.

Archived