Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone EJ-200((S)CE)

BEng

I'm a beginning guitarist and I'm looking for an upgrade for my old, rusty classical guitar. For the money that I want to spend (not more than €400), I've heard a lot of good things about the EJ-200 + it also looks gorgeous in my opinion.

I've got a few questions about the Epiphone EJ-200 howver and I'd be very glad if you could help me out.

I've heard that the new models (EJ-200SCE) have a solid top rather than a laminated one, is this correct? Does anyone know if it actually sounds better than the older models with a laminated top? I've heard that in general solid tops are superior to a laminated one, but a cheap solid top can also be worse than a quality laminated one.

Secondly, at first I wanted to buy the normal, non-cutout version, because it apparently has a fuller and richer sound. I noticed that Epiphone doesn't make them anymore and have a hard time finding these second hand. I've found one from 1995 which I could buy for about €250, but I figured that for a bit more money I'd better buy a new, cutout versions. My reasoning is that the fact that the EJ-200SCE is new, has solid top and has a esonic2 preamp system (the old EJ-200 doesn't I assume?) makes up for the fact that it's a cutout.

I'd love to play them next to each other to compare the sound, but I don't think that's possible anymore since most shops don't sell the old version anymore. Does the non-cutout really sound so much better?

I'm a beginning guitarist and I'm looking for an upgrade for my old, rusty classical guitar. For the money that I want to spend (not more than €400), I've heard a lot of good things about the EJ-200 + it also looks gorgeous in my opinion.

I've got a few questions about the Epiphone EJ-200 howver and I'd be very glad if you could help me out.

I've heard that the new models (EJ-200SCE) have a solid top rather than a laminated one, is this correct? Does anyone know if it actually sounds better than the older models with a laminated top? I've heard that in general solid tops are superior to a laminated one, but a cheap solid top can also be worse than a quality laminated one.

Secondly, at first I wanted to buy the normal, non-cutout version, because it apparently has a fuller and richer sound. I noticed that Epiphone doesn't make them anymore and have a hard time finding these second hand. I've found one from 1995 which I could buy for about €250, but I figured that for a bit more money I'd better buy a new, cutout versions. My reasoning is that the fact that the EJ-200SCE is new, has solid top and has a esonic2 preamp system (the old EJ-200 doesn't I assume?) makes up for the fact that it's a cutout.

I'd love to play them next to each other to compare the sound, but I don't think that's possible anymore since most shops don't sell the old version anymore. Does the non-cutout really sound so much better?

Acoustic letter did a tryout about cutaway vs non-cutaway. I didn't hear any difference, it's like Martin vs Gibson. It's more of a taste preference than a issue. Just get the cutaway one, you're gonna save alot of money and time.

I think you'll find the EJ a lot bigger than a classical in terms of feel. It's a far different instrument in every sense. It's "long scale" and the nut is narrower a bit as is standard for Epiphones than the Gibson version.

According to what I'm seeing, the new Epi cutaways do have a solid top. OTOH, I'm personally not convinced that if run with the pickup operating through a board or AE guitar amp that there's a useful difference. A solid top will age and in theory at least, improve "tone" with age.

You pay your money and take your choice depending on how and what you play and what you expect - as well as your personal playing geometry involved in interfacing your body's geometry with that of the guitar.

The J200 style and shape was marvelous as played by Rev. Gary Davis - I got to watch in person at fairly close range - but not an instrument I'd go for - and I started on a classical too. Although I have some dreads, my actual favorite "play out" flattop is the even less expensive but not as showy, is the PR5e; for electric the 175. Both are more "classical guitar" in size - and better for me to play with my quite short arm reach. But that's why I always mention playing geometry.

m

• Like 1

Hi! and welcome to the Epi forum! It sounds like you need quick simple answers here right? OK! ...So here they are for you! To answer your questions quickly, simply and to the point I would recommend that you to consider the following six things before buying. This way you won't make a mistake!.....

1.YES the new EJ200-SCE has a solid sitka spruce top! (SCE) = (Solid top, Cutaway, Electric)

2.YES, it will sound BETTER than the old laminated top version which is made of three pieces of wood glued together!

3.YES....a solid wood guitar top will get BETTER sounding as it ages.....

4.YES, the Esonic system will allow you to plug in anywhere, anytime! ....

5.YES it is true that only the cutaway EJ200 model with the input the CE, is presently available.

6.NO...the cutaway will not sound any less better in measurable difference that would be detectable to the ears...it is simply there in case you need to, want to, or learn to, fret that low!

Also remember that the EJ200SCE is a BIG guitar! (EJ) = Epiphone Jumbo size) Make sure you want that size! Other recommendations I would give to you for Epiphone is ..The IB Texan, and also The AJ220S as well...both slightly smaller slope shoulder solid top guitars, and very popular as well!

Best of luck! Let us know how it turns! ...GL

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated. I'm quiteb tall myself so I don't think the geometry will be a problem. I'll be sure to check it out and to also try out some other options. I'm really a beginner who's first instrument is the piano, but I'm loving the guitar so much I'd like to buy myself something decent. The more narrow fret also shouldn't be a problem, if anything, with the other acoustic guitars I played it even played more easily for me and sounded much better.

This was basically what I wanted to hear, it doesn't seem that the possibly (or allegedly, since you don't confirm this) better sound doesn't weigh against the preamp & solid top.

I think I'm convinced buying the ej-200sce, but I'll be sure to check out some other models to compare. I'll let you know what I ended up buying ;)

The EJ200sce is a nice guitar.

Acoustic it should be quite good, depending on technique - and run "electric," my guess is that it would be good enough for anybody to use on stage anywhere.

Strings also are a variable one doesn't find on nylon strung instruments regardless that there are variations of nylon strings. Gauge and type can be quite important to pickers. I mostly fingerpick, and all of my "fingerpicking" flattops wear very much lighter strings than most pickers prefer. On the other hand, for flatpicking/strumming, my 9-42 gauge strings are almost certainly too light. Me, I'd likely put 10-46 on a J200 type, even for fingerpicking. There are lots of brands and metal types as well as gauges to consider.

I'd personally recommend starting with a good brand's 10-46 however you play. Then as they lose some of the "new string" sounds, consider experimentation. Some folks recommend going to heavier gauge strings immediately, but I don't since the are more difficult to play well. Others have strong feelings on string types, too, at least on specific guitars. So... I'd say you should figure on a number of years messing with different strings before you settle on something.

Please, though, do buy a hardshell case for it, even if you don't plan on "playing out." Some might question whether a $400 US guitar is worth a $70-110 case - but all of my guitars of all price tags do have hard cases.

m

I've got an EJ200CE and I have to say that I've never had any sort of problem with the size of the guitar (I'm 5'6" with quite short arms).

I would say that in my experience 10's are a touch light for the EJ, bearing in mind that it is a big guitar and needs some ooomph to get the soundboard moving. I found that it really works well with 12's and interestingly, despite coming with 10's a stock, that is what the nut had been cut for.

Wiggy... no way I'd argue the potential value of heavier strings on most full acoustics, especially the bigger bodies - and especially for folks who have a heavy hand.

OTOH, run through an amp or PA board, I'm utterly convinced through my own experience with AEs since the early '70s that the heavier strings aren't needed - or necessarily desirable for several reasons.

Yes, it does definitely take a little different perspective on technique than that of a straight acoustic. I'd describe it more as the "hand" such as Joe Pass whether with fingerpicking or a flatpick.

Heavy strumming doesn't work for beans with lighter strings, for certain. But I've never worn heavier than 11s on any acoustic I've owned, and that includes backing up fiddlers on stage for years flatpicking all acoustic, playing some bluegrass ditto - and a lotta saloon AE country/country rock work in the '70s both bare fingers and with a flatpick.

I don't claim to be any sort of better than average picker - but I think that getting the most out of an AE is a different function for the picker compared to playing acoustic only, with or without mikes.

I think getting the most out of an AE is in ways more like playing a nylon string or even a lightly-strung electric than a steel string acoustic. Then you let the amp help with the dynamics rather than playing harder or softer in the same place on the strings and more or less the same way. It's hard to explain, but it works.

m

Thanks everybody for the replies, I bought it! =)

I've got one more question. The store manager assured me that this one had a laminated top, but the logo on the inside says "EJ-200CE" and not "EJ-200SCE". Is this normal, and the case for all EJ-200 with a solid top? Please comfirm anyone, because the solid top was one of the main reasons I bought it.

For the rest;

I tried several others in the price range. There were some others who sounded perhaps a little better, or at least a lot warmer and louder. Presumeable because these weren't cutouts and their top is much thinner.

The difference in sound quality wasn't that big, it mainly was just a little louder. They didn't have the preamp however, so I decided that the preamp + the fact that it looked far better (I know this shouldn't matter that much, but still...) made up for the fact that it sounded a bit less loud.

I'm looking forward playing on it!

IMHO the preamp and playing a guitar "acoustic-electric" can be done quite nicely and also IMHO, "better" than straight acoustic miked. Why? Depending on the particular piece, there's more opportunity for varying dynamics and you don't have to play "hard" to get volume. And you don't necessarily have to go to heavier strings for volume, either, depending on the pickup and preamp.

Glad you're happy with your purchase!

m

EDIT: I can't help with whether the top is solid or laminate, but played mostly "electric," I'm not convinced it makes a difference an audience can hear.

I have a EJ200 ce color VS .I think it a great guitar great sound the fit and finish is some of the best i have seen . Its the first EA i have that playes great great neck and the tone gets better every day . As far as tone wood i don't care i have heard great sounding fiber glass guitars . And i don't feel that glueing wood together does any harm . How cares if its plywood or solid its a great guitar and for the price you cant beat it.

Thanks for the reply. I just plugged it in and it sounds really good through the speakers! :)

I guess I'll just tell myself that it's a solid top, there's to much paint on it to really check it myself.

Have a close look at the edge of the soundhole (use a magnifying glass if need be)

If it's a solid top you'll see the grain running through the edge, if it's laminated then you'll see the layers.

Each has their pros and cons -

Laminate top is more stable and much less affected by humidity changes but will not mature

Solid top will change over time (hopefully for the better) but is much more affected by humidity/temp changes.

If you're going to be mainly playing AE then laminate will do just fine.

BTW the slightly reduced loudness of the EJ compared with the others you tried is almost certainly an illusion (unless they were full body Jumbos). To appreciate just how loud the EJ is you need to be a few feet in front of it when it's being played.

Thanks everybody for the replies, I bought it! =)

I've got one more question. The store manager assured me that this one had a laminated top, but the logo on the inside says "EJ-200CE" and not "EJ-200SCE". Is this normal, and the case for all EJ-200 with a solid top? Please comfirm anyone, because the solid top was one of the main reasons I bought it.

For the rest;

I tried several others in the price range. There were some others who sounded perhaps a little better, or at least a lot warmer and louder. Presumeable because these weren't cutouts and their top is much thinner.

The difference in sound quality wasn't that big, it mainly was just a little louder. They didn't have the preamp however, so I decided that the preamp + the fact that it looked far better (I know this shouldn't matter that much, but still...) made up for the fact that it sounded a bit less loud.

I'm looking forward playing on it!

EJ-200SCE means Epiphone Jumbo, S solid top, C cutaway, E electric

EJ-200CE Is missing the (S) ..which generally would mean to say that it is NOT A SOLID TOP, and is Laminated instead.

Therefore, If your new Epiphone is labeled.... EJ-200CE.... inside the sound hole, then it is probably a laminated top as the store manager told you. ...Because it is missing the (S) which stands for SOLID TOP. Enjoy your new guitar! Laminated is not always a bad thing...Laminated is a very durable wood..perhaps the most durable of all woods so that temperatures and humidity changes will affect it MUCH less.

Hope this helps. .... GL

EJ-200SCE means Epiphone Jumbo, S solid top, C cutaway, E electric

EJ-200CE Is missing the (S) ..which generally would mean to say that it is NOT A SOLID TOP, and is Laminated instead.

Therefore, If your new Epiphone is labeled.... EJ-200CE.... inside the sound hole, then it is probably a laminated top as the store manager told you. ...Because it is missing the (S) which stands for SOLID TOP. Enjoy your new guitar! Laminated is not always a bad thing...Laminated is a very durable wood..perhaps the most durable of all woods so that temperatures and humidity changes will affect it MUCH less.

Hope this helps. .... GL

I disagree Any Masterbuilt Dr500 MCE Is solid wood top as well as the EF500CCE, Dove Pro, IB1864 Texan, Dave Navarone Jane, and of course the EJ200CE, and the Pro 1 Ultra

Hate to p**s on anyones parade here but I'll think you'll find the S stands for Sunburst (N = Natural & B = Black)

All EJ200CEs manufactured after I think Aug 2013 (obviously there will still be older guitars in shops stocks so you need to check the S/N) have solid tops.

As I said in my earlier post

Have a close look at the edge of the soundhole (use a magnifying glass if need be)

If it's a solid top you'll see the grain running through the edge, if it's laminated then you'll see the layers.

Takes a couple of mins to do you'll know for certain what you've got.

Simples msp_thumbup.gif

Hate to p**s on anyones parade here but I'll think you'll find the S stands for Sunburst (N = Natural & B = Black)

All EJ200CEs manufactured after I think Aug 2013 (obviously there will still be older guitars in shops stocks so you need to check the S/N) have solid tops.

Simples msp_thumbup.gif

In the case of Sunburst it would be VS {vintage sunburst} not S

Hi

To be honest I have not played the EJ200. I can only recommend my IB 1964 Texan. In my mind it ticks the boxes for beginner right up to advanced player. Firstly it would be ideal budget wise, and if you get a 'good' one it will see you through for a long time. Very easy to play. comfortable neck, great tone, solid top and back with a good pickup system if you need to plug in.

I'm 6' 2" with 'long monkey arms' so the advanced jumbo shape feels like a much smaller guitar for me(OM, 000 in comparison). From a vanity point of view it looks great. You've got an attractive retro look, from a distance my gets mistaken for a Gibson.

IMHO I can't recommend this guitar highly enough. Good luck with your search, find the guitar that is right for you, have fun.

Martin 00-15

IB 1964 Texan

Sigma 0001MST

Rereading through these...

One thought came to mind...

"Awwwwwww heck, just play some and buy whatever you will. Odds are it'll be swapped or otherwise "gone" in 10 years if you're a young picker and left in a case if you're an old picker. So just go ahead and make your mistakes like all the rest of us have."

<grin>

m

Rereading through these...

One thought came to mind...

"Awwwwwww heck, just play some and buy whatever you will. Odds are it'll be swapped or otherwise "gone" in 10 years if you're a young picker and left in a case if you're an old picker. So just go ahead and make your mistakes like all the rest of us have."

<grin>

m

lmao true enough

Simples msp_thumbup.gif

It's almost impossible to see for me, since there's quite a thick layer of varnish on the edge of the sound hole. I checked the SN and it's from june 2014. I guess/hope that it's a solid top then.

As long as there's no one else with "EJ-200SCE" written on the inside I'll give it the benefit of the doubt!

It's almost impossible to see for me, since there's quite a thick layer of varnish on the edge of the sound hole. I checked the SN and it's from june 2014. I guess/hope that it's a solid top then.

As long as there's no one else with "EJ-200SCE" written on the inside I'll give it the benefit of the doubt!

the S generally refers to solid top. as far as the S for sunburst; it's usually coded VS for vintage sunburst.