Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson pickup for aftermarket?

btoth76

Hello!

Have You seen this?

315509.jpg

According to Thomann's site:

"Gibson Livebucker Nickel Lead Original Gibson Humbucker, the Gibson Livebucker lead pickup is based on the Custombucker and it's authentic PAF sound. The Livebucker features increased output with its "hotter"-wound coils."

Would be nice to know the DC resistance.

Cheers... Bence

A bit more:

"Building on the Burstbucker variants Gibson Custom Shop developed the Custom Bucker which, thanks to the use of AlNiCo 3 magnets, have a slightly higher output than the BurstBuckers and deliver a sound with a little more bite and transparency. They were first in the Jimmy Page Number 1 Les Paul, then also used in the Eric Clapton Beano, the Paul Kossoff and the Marc Bolan model, and eventually have found their way into the majority of 'stock' R7, R8, R9 & R0 Les Pauls from the Custom Shop. The Custom Buckers are not available to purchase separately and are universally acclaimed to be the finest modern Gibson pickups in production.

Now these Live Buckers are available for a limited time- basically they are a slightly overwound variation of the Custom Bucker: because they have more windings, they have again a little stronger output and are thus ideal for rockier sounds. Grab one while you can! This is recommended for the bridge position."

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/gibson-livebucker-nickel-lead/76946

So they are AlNiCo IIIs, like the ones in the Randy Rhoads Les Paul, where they were called "'74 Super Humbuckers"?

Cheers... Bence

Thanks! [thumbup]

I like the Custombuckers better. Well, as far I can make a realistic judgement hearing them thru my PC headphones.

It sounds more fatter and darker to me. I like that.

Cheers... Bence

It sounds smoother like an old worn magnetic PAF, the same with the 59 Tribute compared to the BB 1-2-3. Gibson is zeroing in on the late 50 to early 60 PAF tone's for sure. Have to play a set and compare. What did you think of the 59s?

Gibson is selling only the bridge Alnico III Livebucker. They are using a BB-3 in the neck and a the Livebucker in the bridge on a few of the new 59-RIs. Hmmm interesting.

It sounds smoother like an old worn magnetic PAF, the same with the 59 Tribute compared to the BB 1-2-3. Gibson is zeroing in on the late 50 to early 60 PAF tone's for sure. Have to play a set and compare. What did you think of the 59s?

Gibson is selling only the bridge Alnico III Livebucker. They are using a BB-3 in the neck and a the Livebucker in the bridge on a few of the new 59-RIs. Hmmm interesting.

Hello Golden!

Thomann sells neck Livebuckers too.

Unfortunately, I haven`t heard the `59s yet. I will check them out. [thumbup]

Best wishes... Bence

There's one thing I never understood. AlNiCo 3 - which by the way is Co-free - is the least inductive of the bunch. AlNiCo 1 is stronger, and AlNiCo 2 is the strongest isotropic AlNiCo magnet. Why do vendor marketings want us to believe AlNiCo 3s were stronger?

Among the anisotropic ones, AlNiCo 5-7 is the hottest one, followed by AlNiCo 5DG and AlNiCo 5.

For further informations, please refer to http://www.advancedmagnetsource.com/mmpa0100-alnicomat.pdf

So they are AlNiCo IIIs, like the ones in the Randy Rhoads Les Paul, where they were called "'74 Super Humbuckers"?

Cheers... Bence

I'm pretty sure the Super Humbuckers are Tarbacks, so probably not the same. I'm also starting to hear that the Supers had ceramic magnets, not alnico.

Hello Golden!

Thomann sells neck Livebuckers too.

Unfortunately, I haven`t heard the `59s yet. I will check them out. [thumbup]

Best wishes... Bence

You know I was wondering about the neck. They don't sell a neck here from what I'm seeing only a bridge. Is the neck an Alnico II? I have to hear these in person one day also. I'd love to see the specs on them, its a matter of time I suppose till people start becoming familiar and posting on them. Its hard to tell from a video, the 59s I seen demo'd by the fellow who use to do most of the demo work for Fender, he sounds good on anything, consequently it gives a rather false impression. Check out this fellow, do you remember him? He makes the pick-ups and guitar sound like the best thing since man discovered fire. [biggrin]

http://youtu.be/jFZgsOX0tRg

Peace

I'm pretty sure the Super Humbuckers are Tarbacks, so probably not the same. I'm also starting to hear that the Supers had ceramic magnets, not alnico.

The humbuckers in my 1978 S-G Standard are called Super Humbucking pickups. They are definitely tarbacks and very probably have ceramic magnets. Their DC resistance is pretty "cool" but their output is definitely "hot" with an unparalleled tone. They were choked by the stock 100kOhms tone pots which I changed for 500kOhm ones.

The humbuckers in my 1978 S-G Standard are called Super Humbucking pickups. They are definitely tarbacks and very probably have ceramic magnets. Their DC resistance is pretty "cool" but their output is definitely "hot" with an unparalleled tone. They were choked by the stock 100kOhms tone pots which I changed for 500kOhm ones.

I just pulled some Tarbacks out of my 79 Explorer as they basically died. I put in some Shaw pups but they seemed too weak. I have some 59's in there now but they are a little darker sounding than my Trad. I bet it has 100k pots in there, too. I'll have to check.

Hello!

In my post I was talking about the AlNiCo III '74 Super Humbuckers that were introduced on the Randy Rhoads Les Paul, not the vintage ones.

On the other hand, in the mid-70s, a huge array of Gibson-made pickups were called "Super Humbuckers" in their catalogues - even the low-impedance pickups of the Les Paul Signature model.

Cheers... Bence

You know I was wondering about the neck. They don't sell a neck here from what I'm seeing only a bridge. Is the neck an Alnico II? I have to hear these in person one day also. I'd love to see the specs on them, its a matter of time I suppose till people start becoming familiar and posting on them. Its hard to tell from a video, the 59s I seen demo'd by the fellow who use to do most of the demo work for Fender, he sounds good on anything, consequently it gives a rather false impression. Check out this fellow, do you remember him? He makes the pick-ups and guitar sound like the best thing since man discovered fire. [biggrin]

http://youtu.be/jFZgsOX0tRg

Peace

Hello!

These '59s are too bright to me. Even when He plays through the neck pickup, it's razor sharp. Not my cup of tea.

Agree about the player, outstanding talent.

Here is the neck Livebucker: http://www.gak.co.uk/en/gibson-livebucker-rhythm-nickel/99496

AlNiCo III.

Cheers... Bence

• 1 year later...

i will definitily check it Bence...thanks mate

Hello!

Have You seen this?

315509.jpg

According to Thomann's site:

"Gibson Livebucker Nickel Lead Original Gibson Humbucker, the Gibson Livebucker lead pickup is based on the Custombucker and it's authentic PAF sound. The Livebucker features increased output with its "hotter"-wound coils."

Would be nice to know the DC resistance.

Cheers... Bence

Archived