Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Custom Legit?

Jay J

Hey guys, everybody here seems super helpful and knowledgeable, so I thought that I would pass this on. Today I'll be looking at this 2005 Les Paul Custom off Craigslist.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/msg/4711905454.html

I realize that right off the bat there are red flags: it's on craigslist; there's no photo of the serial number, and there's not quite enough detailed photos...

Otherwise, as far as I can see things look all legit. I spoke with the owner, and he seems like a well mannered, not-sketchy family guy with a French Canadian accent. But of course that really doesn't mean anything.

What things should I be prepared to look for and ask when I check it out later?

Thanks!

00c0c_kPulLOg1m4i_600x450.jpg

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

As far as the pictures are concerned, they show a genuine Gibson.

Definitely, ask for the serial number - so You can verify it by Gibson Customer Support.

I`d ask for more pictures, even about the hardcase, the certificate of authencity, and other paperwork.

Good luck!

Best wishes... Bence

Guest Farnsbarns

I don't think customs were made in the custom shop in 2005? A common misconception, only Gibson would have a model name and a quality designation using such similar terms.

I could be wrong about 2005 lp customs being built in the custom shop and, even if I am, the seller might simply be mistaken. Just want to inform OP just in case.

Archived