Gibson Brands Forums

need help EBM-5 ( ebm 5 string bass)

lordraptor1

I am in need of some help here folk I am in need of the following

1st. either the entire cavity circuit board, OR schematic/diagram so I can repair the cavbity circuit board ( keep in mind that this is for the actual board NOT the wiring).

2nd. I need to know where to find replacement input jack for it (all the ones I am finding fit my Ibanez sr400qm bass but are to long for the ebm5 O.o)

3rd. pickup ratings (in ohms) and ( in a worst case scenario)best replacement for stockers ( must look and be as close to original as possible including connection to stock board.

4th. truss rod cover plate

I know this is a lot but I am trying to restore one and so far everywhere I have tried for parts/schematics ( including fleabay and epiphone/Gibson) have yielded bumpkiss.

I am in need of some help here folk I am in need of the following

1st. either the entire cavity circuit board, OR schematic/diagram so I can repair the cavbity circuit board ( keep in mind that this is for the actual board NOT the wiring).

2nd. I need to know where to find replacement input jack for it (all the ones I am finding fit my Ibanez sr400qm bass but are to long for the ebm5 O.o)

3rd. pickup ratings (in ohms) and ( in a worst case scenario)best replacement for stockers ( must look and be as close to original as possible including connection to stock board.

4th. truss rod cover plate

I know this is a lot but I am trying to restore one and so far everywhere I have tried for parts/schematics ( including fleabay and epiphone/Gibson) have yielded bumpkiss.

I just ended up replacing mine as the OEM EQ only seems to boost the mids and lows. (actually - this bass sounds pretty darn good just wired passively.

When I searched for a replacement on-board preamp I found this Artec BE2 module that looked like it would drop right in...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Artec-BE-2-Bass-Built-in-2-Band-EQ-On-Board-Circuit/161355510982?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27538%26meid%3D56626c80067042b6b933c19ea78abd79%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D11353%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D161475449830

But I ended up going with a Kent Armstrong 3 Band EQ I got on the cheap via eBay

Good luck with your effort.

BE-2-2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I actually fixed it and it is working but it isn't very loud. with that said the problem was old crystalized solder joints and one of the soldoer point next to one of the ic's was really bad but it is fixed, I am thinking It might have damaged that ic but before I go tracking down some replacement IC's I would now like to know what are the 2 little black switches on the circuit board for?

• 2 weeks later...

ok folks it is update time :D

first off I had a volume problem which I still have but not as bad as before which I am going to contribute to it being pots, now with having said that I turned up my regent 5.1 surround system ( currently no amp just rocksmtih and bandfuse). and I noticed that when it was at lower volume strumming or plucking strings would be hit or miss in regards to relaying sound.

I ordered electrolytic caps to replace them all ( good practice IMHO for 20+ year old electrolytic caps, and when I first got it I noticed that it looked like someone had been tring to solder/resolder around one of the 062d op-amps with one of those cheapo 30 watt pencil irons so I went ahead and ordered 2 of those as well.

so today my parts came in and I replaced all of the electrolytics and the 2 op-amps and now the bass still has low volume until I get to around 5 to 7 on the volume knob. as it turns out I had at least 1 bad op-amp which is what was causing the lag/cutting hit or miss output while strumming the strings but with the exception of the pots she is working fine and I want to thank those that responded to my few questions. on the 20th if I haven't sold it already I will be pulling it from sale and keeping it, and then on the first I will be ordering the pots which will take some time to get here seeing as I have to get them from china or Thailand LOL. once those pots are in she should be fixed ( although I am tempted to go ahead and replace all 3 of those tiny switches on the circuit board as well since they are also as old as the pots). but once that is done you could say she is completely restored to original off the line specs and will be in near new condition, only thing that keeps it from being in new condition is the slight blemishes on the gold plating.

Archived