Gibson Brands Forums

Best pots (push/pull? for coil tapping an SG?

Slash Is God

Hi guys,

I'm looking to coil tap my SG, just to add a few options.

Can anyone recommend the best way to do this?

I know I need 4-conductor wiring on my pickups, which is something I'm soon to have, as I will be installing some new ones (currently just have the original, stock 2-conductors in there).

I was wondering which pots would be best to use?

Is it easy to just get some push/pull or push/push pots that will slip right in without any need to make larger holes etc?

Any advise you have will be most welcomed!!

Cheers!

James

Sorry for having not a more useful information for you, but I think the very problem is height. I don't know what pots they use in Epiphone and recent Gibson SGs featuring switching options, but I guess the routed the cavities leaving just some tenths of a millimeter wood to the tops. This is what they did around the tog pots with those SGs using them.

Once I considered modding an L6S which has about same control cavity height. No chance for getting a push/pull pot matching without additional routing. :(

Check out SD triple shot pickup rings. I haven't used them yet, but plan to. Give them a look

Hi guys,

Those are both great comments! Yes, I've heard about the problem with the cavity, and would really like to avoid having to do any damage and, also, to have any knobs 'sticking out' etc.

I'm liking the idea of the pickup rings - I've just had a look.

Is it these that you're speaking of: http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/accessories/triple-shot-mou/triple_shot_swi/

Sounds like a good option....

Yes, that's them. I have a p-rail w/ts ring project on the list that never seems to make it to the top of the list. It seems like a great option to me. Especially if you aren't otherwise planning to replace pots.

There are two versions - for carved and flat.

I just redid the pups and wiring in my Studio Pro. I replaced the pots b/c of the PC board mounted controls. I did 4 push/pulls with the JP wiring.

MONSTER pain in the A. It all worked out fine, but by the time I was done I wished I had gone with straight pots and TS rings instead. If I ever have to rework this thing, that's the way I'll go.

Please post back what you decide and how the mod goes. Good Luck :)

Yes, that's them. I have a p-rail w/ts ring project on the list that never seems to make it to the top of the list. It seems like a great option to me. Especially if you aren't otherwise planning to replace pots.

There are two versions - for carved and flat.

I just redid the pups and wiring in my Studio Pro. I replaced the pots b/c of the PC board mounted controls. I did 4 push/pulls with the JP wiring.

MONSTER pain in the A. It all worked out fine, but by the time I was done I wished I had gone with straight pots and TS rings instead. If I ever have to rework this thing, that's the way I'll go.

Please post back what you decide and how the mod goes. Good Luck :)

What? You did it on the PCB?

Man you earned my respect!

Greets Marcos

No, I hope I don't lose too much respect, but I yanked the PCB and used 4 new pots. That's the reason I went ahead with push/push

Don´t worry, you didn´t loose any respect at all.

I respect everyone who ripps out a PCB board.eusa_clap.gif

I will do it if it fails, or when i get bored and have some time.msp_biggrin.gif

I think my english was here the problem.

Don´t worry, you didn´t loose any respect at all.

I respect everyone who ripps out a PCB board.eusa_clap.gif

I will do it if it fails, or when i get bored and have some time.msp_biggrin.gif

I think my english was here the problem.

No problems. :-) I would have waited but I was changing pups anyway.

No problems. :-) I would have waited but I was changing pups anyway.

Hi guys,

I decided to go for the push/pull pots in the end - found some that fit the SG.

Is the Tone pot the best one to replace then, would you say?

The ones I got are 500k, so I guess it's going to change my sound a little too, isn't it? I have also got some new pickups to put in, so it's going to be a massive change!!

• 1 month later...

Sorry for having not a more useful information for you, but I think the very problem is height. I don't know what pots they use in Epiphone and recent Gibson SGs featuring switching options, but I guess the routed the cavities leaving just some tenths of a millimeter wood to the tops. This is what they did around the tog pots with those SGs using them.

Once I considered modding an L6S which has about same control cavity height. No chance for getting a push/pull pot matching without additional routing. :(

I have a 2014 SG 61 Standard with coil taps. With the push-pull pots they used there is about 5 mm of mahogany remaining, the 3 position switch actually goes a little deeper.

Looks like I'm a little late to the party here, but I can definitely say that installing the Triple Shots on an SG is no easy task. I'm thrilled with the results, but it was a pain! I'm not sure if I would have gone with the coil splits instead if I could do it all over again. SD needs to make a set of the Triple Shots with the right angle cut for an SG. The flat ones cause the pickup to sit at a slight angle to the strings on an SG. They still sound fine, though.

Archived