Gibson Brands Forums

McCartney Epiphone Texan Montana-Made replica

McCartneyTexan

Does anyone have any idea what one of the 40 (or 36) exact replica Texans would cost these days? I've seen a couple online with asking prices of ~$50 - $60K but that seems to be more than anyone is willing to give. Any thoughts? What would you consider to be a 'great deal' price point?

Thanks in advance...

What would you consider to be a 'great deal' price point?

This may not answer your question, but I'd consider the "greatest deal" price point to be the 400 bucks for a brand new Epiphone Inspired By 1964 Texan. I think you'll find several folks on here, or at least one [wink], who cannot say enough good things about the IB64.

Does anyone have any idea what one of the 40 (or 36) exact replica Texans would cost these days? I've seen a couple online with asking prices of ~$50 - $60K but that seems to be more than anyone is willing to give. Any thoughts? What would you consider to be a 'great deal' price point?

Thanks in advance...

Unless you have to have the signature guitar just order one from the Custom Shop. No way that should be the 50-60k people are asking for those.

I had to order my J160E that way and it was not 50k.

Not a Lennon signature but that is not what I wanted.

I ordered a 1962 J160E and that is what I paid for and got.

Vintage Texans minus the 1964 naturals are a good deal much less than same era J45s..........see them about the same prices as J50s.

Burst Texan's from 64 always seem to go for less than the naturals since the Bursts don't have the McCartney connection.

Find a good vintage one they are out there and a better guitar than a 50k signature

Now seems to be the time and the future............Beatles fans and babyboomers are in retirement and selling off this gear.

The vintage stuff has had a huge price drop and I don't see some of it ever climbing back to where it was.

Most of the next generation of players don't seem to care too much what guitars the 60s bands were into these days.

The market seems flooded with this "Beatle" related stuff lately and a lot of it in close to mint condition.

Have scored several nice TO Vox amps lately that were only available for sky high prices in the past if you could even find them.

Seems to be a glut of older players selling gear off these days.........and the good news for buyers of some of those things is the market has moved on for much of it.

On un Beatle related gear Fender Princetons.........vintage ones are now selling for less than the new 65 RI..........lets see what am I going to buy the new 65 RI or the old handwired vintage one..........

Waiting for the prices on the Deluxes to come back down. I had a 1964 I sold off back in the 80s......dumb.......as soon as I can score a good vintage one again.......

This may not answer your question, but I'd consider the "greatest deal" price point to be the 400 bucks for a brand new Epiphone Inspired By 1964 Texan. I think you'll find several folks on here, or at least one [wink], who cannot say enough good things about the IB64.

HA! $400 would be an absolutely fine price. And I'm sure that you are spot-on with your assesment of the IB64 but I must not have been clear in my first post. I was looking for info on the McCartney-signed, replicas that Epiphone produced around 2005. -- a collectible rather than an every day instrument. My understanding is that they originally sold for $25K. I might have the opportunity to buy one at or below that price. Thought you guys may have some insight as to whether they have held their value or not.

post-68587-016768300 1415823218_thumb.jpg

HA! $400 would be an absolutely fine price. And I'm sure that you are spot-on with your assesment of the IB64 but I must not have been clear in my first post. I was looking for info on the McCartney-signed, replicas that Epiphone produced around 2005. -- a collectible rather than an every day instrument. My understanding is that they originally sold for $25K. I might have the opportunity to buy one at or below that price. Thought you guys may have some insight as to whether they have held their value or not.

Got your post you are looking for the first run Montana built McCartney's hand signed by him.

I do not know what those sold for when new or if they have maintained their value.

I have watched much of the "Beatles" stuff not hold their value.

The 70th Anniversary Lennon J160Es Chicago Music Exchange was dumping the last one they had for $2500 the same price as the Standard X-braced new age Gibson J160Es they also had...........the 70th Lennon started out as a $3600 guitar if I remember right?

Talked to one of the guys there and said they just could not move it and make an offer........I already had my CS 62 or would have made an offer.

I was told then by them that the Beatles related stuff just does not command the market it used to.

2 things I would check with Gruhn's they might be able to give you a ballpark on the value

Second not to sound morbid but McCartney is still alive and you might take the risk and buy as an investment piece and move it close to the time he is gone which I am sure will be a huge jump in anything McCartney related stuff.

25k for a guitar the guy never played is pushing things.

I am curious too how those George Harrison 20k Duo Jets are holding value out a few years back also, or for that matter the Clapton strat, Clapton/Harrison Lucy, or his Martins.

A look at those the Clapton/Harrison Lucy or the George Harrison Duo Jet might give a better idea on the Montana Texans

The John Lennon sig J160Es have not fared well and see the Peace Model these days selling for around $2500 so those and the 70th Anniversary despite being Gibsons did not hold any value and are going used for the same as a J160E standard solid top.

Good luck with your search/purchase.

One sold for $40K not too long ago. I don't see them for sale too often...

Red 333

Not bad for a 25k investment. At that price not a player.

Don't watch but wonder how those Harrison Duo Jets and the latest Clapton round of stuff holding value, at the prices that stuff was sold for not players either.

Not bad for a 25k investment. At that price not a player.

Don't watch but wonder how those Harrison Duo Jets and the latest Clapton round of stuff holding value, at the prices that stuff was sold for not players either.

The big difference is that the Lennon and Harrison guitars were issued after their deaths. You have no way to know what they thought of them. The McCartney Texan was endorsed by McCartney, and is the only instrument he's ever endorsed. There's no McCartney Hofner Bass, Martin D-28, or Les Paul (all instruments he is well known for playing). The edition the OP is asking about is hand-signed, too. On the guitar--not on a label. So that's part of the allure: McCartney held and signed that particular guitar.

Red 333

There were three guitars in the Adopt-A-Minefield fundraiser. As Red mentioned, these are the only guitars ever endorsed by Paul McCartney. Here are the different versions with their selling prices when first released:

> $40,000 for the "Replica 1964 Texan" signed on the top by McCartney. 40 instruments made in Montana.

> $6,398 for the "1964 USA Texan" with the inside label signed by McCartney. 250 instruments made in Montana.

> $2,398 for the "McCartney 1964 Texan" with McCartney's replicated signature on the label. 1,964 instruments made by Terada in Japan.

I happen to have one of the Terada versions from '05, and it truly captures the tone, playability, and build quality of a mid '60s Gibson/Epi. Imho, any of these three McCartney Texans are well worth a serious look (if the price fits your budget!).

Archived