Gibson Brands Forums

Custom shop 6 digit serials

bignos

Anyone help ?

Been trying to work out my CS serial using info from Gibson.com. their example shows csyrrr Y=year r= production number.

I have a question, my serial cs104260 cs yrrrr with my serial csyyrrrr so year 10 = 2010 production number 4260 ?

really 4260 custom LP's made in 2010 ? or as some say year 2001 production number 4260 ?

Please enlighten me someone.

kind regards

Originally CSYRRRR.

But now that both Nashville and Memphis are issuing CS numbers, the forumula is CSYXRRRR

where CS is Custom Shop; . Y is the year of manufacture; . X is the location of the CS; . and RRRR is the production rank. . . . X=> . 0=Nashville . 5=Memphis

Gibson is notoriously slow at update the info on their website.

Anyone help ?

Been trying to work out my CS serial using info from Gibson.com. their example shows csyrrr Y=year r= production number.

I have a question, my serial cs104260 cs yrrrr with my serial csyyrrrr so year 10 = 2010 production number 4260 ?

really 4260 custom LP's made in 2010 ? or as some say year 2001 production number 4260 ?

Please enlighten me someone.

kind regards

Just done some research, My guitar was made (as far as I can tell by the documents I've got ) 10/13/11, that would tie up with year = 1 ,being 2001, that would make my serial production number 4260, if we say production is 300 days a year, that would be 60 production weeks. ( assuming 5 day weeks) My date 10/13/11, would mean we had about 10 weeks production still to go, so my serial 4260 would have been 50 production weeks, this works out at 85.2 guitars a week. add the other 10 production weeks, 10x 85.2, we get 852 + 4260 = 5112 LP Customs a year, 17 LP Customs a day . Is that a feasible number for LP Customs ? I'd guess probably. If you know the production numbers, (anyone from Gibson) could you share them ? if not against company rules.

Originally CSYRRRR.

But now that both Nashville and Memphis are issuing CS numbers, the forumula is CSYXRRRR

where CS is Custom Shop; . Y is the year of manufacture; . X is the location of the CS; . and RRRR is the production rank. . . . X=> . 0=Nashville . 5=Memphis

much appreciated dude.

CS 104260

The first digit in the serial is the last digit of the year of manufacture - a 1 so probably 2011

The second digit is 0 which means the guitar was built/finished in Nashville

The next four digits are the production rank = 4260

Thanks, much appreciated

Originally CSYRRRR.

much appreciated dude.

Gibson changed Nashville plant's serial system for 2014. Now the serials start with a two digit year followed by a six digit production rank which rolls for the whole year -

Nashville - YYRRRRRR . . (for example 14000001)

I don't know if the Nashville Custom Shop has changed their serial system from CSYXRRRR

I don't know if Memphis changed their serial system, but from your number I'll guess it looks like two characters "ME" to identify Memphis followed by a single digit year and a five digit production rank which rolls for the whole year -

Memphis - MEYRRRRR . . (for example ME401562)

I don't think Bozeman has changed their serial system from YDDDYRRR

Meanwhile, to further confuse things, some 2014 guitars from Memphis still use the old serial format.

Can anyone shed more light on this topic?

Customer Service?

Bueller? . . . Bueller? . . . . . Bueller?

• 4 years later...

Speaking of Custom shop serial numbers. I have one that’s simply 6 digits. 891083. It’s got the circle banner custom shop logo and seems to have old school zebra  PAF pickups with the sticker on the back of them. Clear edges from the old lacquer which I believe makes them real. Problem is no one can tell me the year. I’ve heard 1980’s. Late 70’s and on the one website it said potentially 1958. Problem is I don’t know long headstock logo has been used. 

E350CEC9-D44F-4084-94FD-51F0F3DB37ED.jpeg

On 6/28/2019 at 4:13 PM, John McElroy said:

Speaking of Custom shop serial numbers. I have one that’s simply 6 digits. 891083. It’s got the circle banner custom shop logo and seems to have old school zebra  PAF pickups with the sticker on the back of them. Clear edges from the old lacquer which I believe makes them real. Problem is no one can tell me the year. I’ve heard 1980’s. Late 70’s and on the one website it said potentially 1958. Problem is I don’t know long headstock logo has been used. 

I have never seen a Gibson with that logo on the headstock. The 'Les Paul' is usually engraved on the TRC.

Is it the camera angle that is making the top seem asymmetrical?

On 6/28/2019 at 11:13 AM, John McElroy said:

Hi John;

I'm no expert by far, but I think this was used late nineties/early 2000 on some Elegant and Ultima Les Pauls. If I'm correct yours could be a 98.  I dont think the Custom Shop as such until the early/mid 90's, so that lines up.

Looks like an ebony board, so tells is that an Elegant or Ultima?

Johnny

Edited by Johnny 6 String

• 4 years later...

People exactly do you think a serial number is or does or unlocks? Its a unique or is supposed to be a unique number to your guitar for ID purposes. Its doesn't unlock any keys to the Universe. Its a number and that is it. Like the VIN on your car. Are you obsessed with your VIN as well?

Pepper,

You have got a bingo 👍 offcouse like a car Vin I can check everything about it.  Which equipment is it, motor etc. 

Same is guitar. Which wood. Builded equipment etc.

So, what is wrong if somebody want to check own guitar, or further more, if somebody would like to pre check guitar, which one want to buy.

In my case, I would like to know the sequencennumber  of 50 builded guitars.

So, what Am I doing wrong If am curiuos??

@SammySlo no Gibson sn do not tell you much of a guitar

year, day and production run number that’s it

you want to know about your ??

Loosen your strings undo the 4 screws in the neck pickup  lift the neck pickup up and out

there will be a series of codes that are written in every neck pocket is the code for the finishers 

style, grade of top, colour etc 

On 9/30/2023 at 1:57 PM, SammySlo said:

Pepper,

You have got a bingo 👍 offcouse like a car Vin I can check everything about it.  Which equipment is it, motor etc. 

Same is guitar. Which wood. Builded equipment etc.

So, what is wrong if somebody want to check own guitar, or further more, if somebody would like to pre check guitar, which one want to buy.

In my case, I would like to know the sequencennumber  of 50 builded guitars.

So, what Am I doing wrong If am curiuos??

Be curious all you want, but a Gibson serial number has nothing to do with the wood, tuners, pups or any of the stuff on your guitar. The best it does is tell you the day or year it was "stamped", and production run number, and that is it. Now if its an electric guitar its make in Nashville, and an acoustic in make in Bozeman.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper