Gibson Brands Forums

Loose endpin jack

Tknight

Hi All,

The endpin jack on my PR5E is starting to come loose. It's not too bad right now but I want to take care of it before it gets any worse. I know StewMac sells an endpin jack wrench, but I don't want to drop $32.50 plus shipping for a tool I'll rarely use (hopefully). Here's my plan: attach a StewMac ESP multispanner (which I already have) to the end of a piece of 1/4 inch threaded rod which is bent at the end to allow the angled jaws of the multispanner to sit flush against the end block; cover the exposed portion of the rod with plastic tubing to keep it from scraping up the soundhole when inserting/removing it, as well as some split tubing on some of the edges of the multispanner for added protection; and drill out a piece of dowel to epoxy to the end of the rod as a handle. I think this will work, but I'm open to any other suggestions.

I'm open to any other suggestions.

Spend the money. Seriously. I have one of these for my elec's and I've used it 4-5 times over the couple of years I've had it. Point is, it's there when I need it and I know it works. YMMV

So last night while I was practicing, I noticed that the jack had become really loose. By pulling out on the jack while turning it, I was able to engage the inside nut and snug it up enough so I could finish tightening from the outside with an adjustable wrench. Still haven't given up on the multispanner idea, though, since I'm an inveterate tinkerer and I have all the parts. I'm thinking next time I do a string change I'll give it a dry run. I'll let you know how it goes.

T

Archived