Gibson Brands Forums

Need help dating a Gibson J-50

Greg 57

I have a J-50 in the shop for some major repairs, including a neck reset. I believe this guitar is old enough to not have the paddle neck joint but want to make sure. The guitar is Mahogany with black shading on the heel. Rosewood bridge and fretboard, plastic tortoise binding which is now crumbling. The tuners say "Gibson Deluxe" and the serial number A004297 is pressed into the rear of the peghead. The words "made in USA" are barely visible under the serial number. Thanks for your help.

I have a J-50 in the shop for some major repairs, including a neck reset. I believe this guitar is old enough to not have the paddle neck joint but want to make sure. The guitar is Mahogany with black shading on the heel. Rosewood bridge and fretboard, plastic tortoise binding which is now crumbling. The tuners say "Gibson Deluxe" and the serial number A004297 is pressed into the rear of the peghead. The words "made in USA" are barely visible under the serial number. Thanks for your help.

Mine is very similar to this one except the TRC is a 3 hole cover (and I don't have the original cover) and the tuners have been swapped out for new gold tuners (which I don't like). Do you think the tuners on yours are original? Dating for mine is still being debated but most likely 1969-70 it seems.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/117039-1969-j50/page__pid__1591572__st__20#entry1591572

Mine is very similar to this one except the TRC is a 3 hole cover (and I don't have the original cover) and the tuners have been swapped out for new gold tuners (which I don't like). Do you think the tuners on yours are original? Dating for mine is still being debated but most likely 1969-70 it seems.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/117039-1969-j50/page__pid__1591572__st__20#entry1591572

This guitar is not mine and the customer doesn't have precise knowledge of the history. But the tuners do look original to me.

Archived