Gibson Brands Forums

SGJ and SG standard case?

pauly

My SGJ fits perfectly in the Gibson USA case that I use for my 70's Tribute.

I bought the Epiphone case for the SGJ and it seems to be pretty good for the money.

Thanks for the input blackduece. I may get lucky and get a great fit too...just hate making a long drive to find out first.

Thanks for the input blackduece. I may get lucky and get a great fit too...just hate making a long drive to find out first.

You're welcome.

I had purchased an aftermarket case that was supposed to be designed for the SG and it was a terrible fit. I did "fit" in the case, but it could move all over the place. I sent it back and ordered the Epiphone case. I'm happy with it. I didn't want to spend $150 on a Gibson branded case for my SGJ.

You're welcome.

I had purchased an aftermarket case that was supposed to be designed for the SG and it was a terrible fit. I did "fit" in the case, but it could move all over the place. I sent it back and ordered the Epiphone case. I'm happy with it. I didn't want to spend $150 on a Gibson branded case for my SGJ.

Glad to hear the Epi case was a good fit for your SGJ, the slop you were talking about with the aftermarket case and not fitting just right is what I'm concerned about. I met a guy who had a sg standard, his guitar got damaged beyond repair while at a gig and he offered me the case reasonable..but it's a drive to get there. Going tomorrow to pick it up and hope it fits okay.

Hey Pauly

You just reminded me about a statistic i once heard. now i don't put much faith in it being true but maybe corporate has the right facts. OK this is it. most of the broken neck issues happen from dropping the guitar case during transport/ I wonder if it would be worth the investment to reinforce the case around the neck and headstock. But Gibson probably already did that. I am attaching a pix of my standard and case. I know it isn't necessary but its my baby. lol

I forgot about the attachment style of the web site. i wont be adding the pix. sorry.

Hey Pauly

You just reminded me about a statistic i once heard. now i don't put much faith in it being true but maybe corporate has the right facts. OK this is it. most of the broken neck issues happen from dropping the guitar case during transport/ I wonder if it would be worth the investment to reinforce the case around the neck and headstock. But Gibson probably already did that. I am attaching a pix of my standard and case. I know it isn't necessary but its my baby. lol

I forgot about the attachment style of the web site. i wont be adding the pix. sorry.

Yeah, I have trouble posting pics also. It's probably really simple but for some reason I just dont get it. I'm a technologically challenged dinosaur you could say. The factory HSC is waaaaay better than a soft case protectectively speaking, there's no way it cant be. If you figure out the pic process post your baby......I'm sure it's nice. I love me some SG standards.

Thanks for the tip on the Epi case.

Originally they were going to cut me a sweet deal on a Gibson SG case. Unknown to either of us, or anyone else working at the store then... those cases were listed at $199!!!

I said, no way was I paying that much. Still ended up only saving about $80, getting the Roadstar... which I'm not big fan of. Look online, the Epi is considerably cheaper than that and 5 star reviews. Called them up and told them, I'd be returning the Roadstar today.

Took the RoadRunner or whatever, back last night and ordered the Epi case.

Weird they don't carry them in any of the stores, they have to come from the Kansas warehouse. Though, maybe not so weird... that way they can push the $199 Gibson case... and $130 other POS.

Should have it within a week. In the gig bag it came with, for now.

Took the RoadRunner or whatever, back last night and ordered the Epi case.

Weird they don't carry them in any of the stores, they have to come from the Kansas warehouse. Though, maybe not so weird... that way they can push the $199 Gibson case... and $130 other POS.

Should have it within a week. In the gig bag it came with, for now.

I've often wondered why Gibson doesn't sell hsc's. I'm sure they have their reasons.

Got my Epi case in today and picked it up this evening. It is so much nicer a case than the RoadRunner. Fit and finish. It compares favorably with my 2014 Les Paul case. There's certainly a difference in the quality, but not $110 worth ($199 for the new Gibson cases and $89 for the Epiphone).

Highly recommend. My SGJ fits perfect.

epi01_zps22dd2e0f.jpg

epi02_zpsa84e8312.jpg

epi03_zpsfa9555d7.jpg

epi04_zps994d0456.jpg

epi05_zpsa961843d.jpg

epi06_zps87f0781d.jpg

epi07_zps175a9499.jpg

Glad it worked for you. I like mine, too.

I haven't seen one in person, but the "Gibson Gear" case looks a little different than the "Gibson USA" case that comes with the more expensive guitars. The Gibson Gear case has a dark interior instead of white like I've seen with the more expensive Gibsons. Maybe they are the same otherwise, but maybe not.....

Archived