Gibson Brands Forums

ES-Les Paul

gnappi

These popped in in a LGS and look constructed like a midtown but with a single cut. Anyone have one? I haven't played one yet but I plan on checking one out this week.

These are a Les Paul sized guitar, but constructed like an ES335, laminate top and back, even the way they put the guitar together. The sound is warmey and airy, more so than a les paul. They are light and a really nice instrument. The necks are larger, more towards a 335 style neck. The one I played was awesome, they are certainly on my radar.

A lovely guitar no doubt about it. It even seems to have the nibs!

Only fault is the Richlite fingerboard which for me is an intolerable feature on such an upmarket and beautiful guitar.

Richlite is used on counter tops, OUTDOOR SIGNS in rain, snow, sun, and this material is stable. What makes everyone think it's in some way inferior? There's a LOT of non wood products in guitars, and I do net have a single doubt that Gibson wouldn't have put richlite in the Supreme if they didn't do scads of testing and have confidence in it.

I bought my supreme and Midtown custom knowing they had richlite and I didn't care a bit. CF Martin uses it too. So... I guess our ancestors will get to talk about it if the richlite fails in later years :-)

Richlite is used on counter tops, OUTDOOR SIGNS in rain, snow, sun, and this material is stable. What makes everyone think it's in some way inferior? There's a LOT of non wood products in guitars, and I do net have a single doubt that Gibson wouldn't have put richlite in the Supreme if they didn't do scads of testing and have confidence in it.

I bought my supreme and Midtown custom knowing they had richlite and I didn't care a bit. CF Martin uses it too. So... I guess our ancestors will get to talk about it if the richlite fails in later years :-)

It's not a bad material, but it kind of defies the tradition of tonewoods used on Les Pauls which is especially unusual considering it's such a high model.

It's a constant reminder of how Gibson is completely unable to get ebony even for the most expensive models and it's really their fault that they can't get it.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a bad material, but it kind of defies the tradition of tonewoods used on Les Pauls which is especially unusual considering it's such a high model.

It's a constant reminder of how Gibson is completely unable to get ebony even for the most expensive models and it's really their fault that they can't get it.

I'm curious if they actually look much different from each other and have different playability / feel? I don't have the experience myself. As for Gibson not being able to get ebony, after seeing another post on this board on the subject, I suspect it's more a matter of not wanting to buy ebony from Taylor.

Very pretty guitar, and my back & neck would certainly enjoy the lighter load.

I just can't hang with those f-holes on a Les Paul body. Now if they did one with the exact same construction, but without f-holes (a la "Lucille"), I'd have to look at this model a whole lot closer.

Archived