Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: A Cherry Red Epiphone

Rockabillybob

I love Johnny Rivers and always wanted a cherry 335 like he played. This guitar isn't a Gibson, but it is cherry and it sounds great on the intros to Memphis and Secret Agent Man. (First things I played on it.) This Dot is 10 years old, but is in terrific shape. I found three pin head size owees on the front, one on the back of the head stock. I'm a single coil guy, but these pickups are bright. The neck is thick and wide. I like that. It came in an Epiphone 335 style hard shell case for $250. I like that too.

IMG_1256_zps487d144c.jpg

IMG_1255_zps0ade3c9a.jpg

IMG_1257_zpsf951d1c5.jpg

Hey Bob,

Are those Broadways still available & what's your ideas on it? Do you like it a lot?

Aster

They are in production. I got mine through Musicians Friend. I began by inquiring about a "used" one they had. The sales rep offered me a new one at the same price.

I do like it a lot. I'm basically a single coil player, but the humbuckers on this guitar are fairly bright. It comes strung with Gibson Brite Wires. I plan to stick with them when I change strings. The pickups deliver a lot of output. I usually run my Blues Jr amp volume at about 4 when I play my Gretsch hollow bodys, or an Epi ES 295. I have to turn the amp volume down to 2 and I run the Broadway volume at about 1 for in home practice. (I always have the BJ Fat Switch engaged. If I turn off the Fat Switch, I can run the amp volume at 4.) I also run a little less bass on the amp when playing the Broadway. It will be interesting to see how it handles volume on a gig. I know I can't get directly in front of the amp. It howls! The Broadway is most often pigeon holed as a jazz guitar, but I'm playing rockabilly, 50's-60's rock n' roll and classic country on it. The current Broadways are made in Korea.

Thanks for the good info. I wonder if they will bring back a Vintage Sunburst again. I guess I don't have any Natural electrics though. Might be nice to have one.

You have a Country Gent still don't you? For the rock-a-billy music do you prefer the Gent or the Broadway?

Aster

Thanks for the good info. I wonder if they will bring back a Vintage Sunburst again. I guess I don't have any Natural electrics though. Might be nice to have one.

You have a Country Gent still don't you? For the rock-a-billy music do you prefer the Gent or the Broadway?

Aster

No, I don't have a Country Gent. My main guitar is a Gretsch 6120DSW. I also occasionally use a 6120DSV-BLK, or last weekend, a G5127. (There's a pattern here. I love single coils.) The Broadway is mellow and woody in sound, but works very well for 50's r&r, rockabilly and classic country. Really easy to play too. Very comfortable. Not to mention, a beautiful blonde. I think it has a kinda Bill Haley vibe to it.

haley-76_zps40d90675.jpg

I'm really tempted to put a Bigsby on this guitar, though the Bigsby would cost more than half what I paid for the Dot! The original owners manual and warranty card were in the case. A truss rod still stapled to the owners manual. I did put the truss rod to use and loosened the rod a little to allow some relief. The buzz from the A string disappeared. I'm pretty pleased. The Dot is a real player and love that deep. cherry finish.

Archived